2015 Hyundai Sonata drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:

2015 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Sep 242016

I was driving about at 50 mph on a highway with my kids and had only 1 to 2 miles left to exit. Suddenly, I felt something wrong in the engine or powertrain as I couldn't accelerate my car. When I tried to hit hard on the acceleration pedal, my car would accelerate a little bit, but not that much. While I stepped down on the pedal, I felt my car was rolling up and down. Anyway, my speed was being reduced as it didn't accelerate. Finally, I exited the highway. I had to stop at the intersection and then tried to start, but my car moved very slowly and hard with the rolling. It is only 1-mile distance to my home from the intersection, but I had to pull over my car to a shoulder as I found that I couldn't no longer drive my car without interrupting the traffic. I also could see white/black smoke coming out from my car through my room mirror and smell something burnt in the engine room. Lastly, I had to call a towing company for pick-up.

- Portland, OR, USA

Nov 042015

The car has issues with the transmission shifting erratically. There is a very loud chattering coming from the engine. It is getting progressively worse. The panoramic sunroof is constantly creaking whenever driving on uneven pavement. The car has been in the shop for check engine issues since it was three months old all related to the intake manifold and vcm. And the vehicle stalls randomly and does not set off and check engine lights. Dealerships keep saying no issue found. Rotors have warped.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 302016

On May 30, 2016 at around 9 pm I stopped my 2015 Hyundai Sonata at a traffic light and without warning the engine died. I was almost rear ended when the light changed to green. No warning lights came on until the engine died. After about two minutes I was able to restart the car. I turned left at the intersection where my car had stalled and in the middle of the intersection the engine died again. I thought I was going to die. Exited the car and waved traffic by. Two more minutes and the engine started again and I was able to drive the three remaining blocks to my home. I had the car towed to ourisman Hyundai where I bought it. They have had it ever since. Today, June 6, ourisman called and said they could not duplicate the problem and I should return the loaner car and pick up my Sonata. I will not pick up a Sonata that dies in the middle of driving. I would like to live. I called Hyundai America and reported the issue and they open D a case file. I have left messages with the GM at ourisman and he has not returned my calls. Oh, I forgot to mention that when I bought the car (it was a year old) I told the salesman that I did not want a hertz, avis or any other rental car. He assured me it was not purchased from a car rental company. After over 5 hours at the dealership, I was told it had been from a rental company. I was worn out and thought it still had four years left on the warranty. I feel like a fool. I have asked Hyundai America to buy my car back.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Feb 152016

2015 Hyundai Sonata SE - engine vibrations/rattles/droning when in overdrive at low RPM acceleration. At times the engine has been unresponsive. Was told by Hyundai it was normal, but did not start until the car had around 600 miles - now at 7400 miles, still doing it and sounds horrid. Also, popping sound from steering/brakes when backing up and turning/using brakes at only 1200 miles. That was fixed by dealer, said I had overheated the brakes, which wasn't true, only drove on freeway and wasn't using the brakes.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Dec 292015

While driving on a highway, the car unexpectedly lost engine power; the car engine did not respond whenever I quickly stepped on the gas pedal; thereby making any quick defensive maneuver impossible. It's as if the car engine was starved for air and became unresponsive for quick acceleration. Dealership determined error code P2600, intake runner control problem. Due to this problem of impaired acceleration getting, on and off major highways was particularly dangerous since quick power was non-existent and avoiding other cars quickly was not possible. Truly a safety issue!

- Havertown, PA, USA

Dec 192015

This is a transmission issue.check engine light turned on at 15000 miles and now at 31000 miles. As a result of this, car doesn't accelerate as intended. The car accelerates on its own.

- Novi, MI, USA

Sep 062015

During labor day weekend, I was alerted on display that the "transmission temperature is high". I stopped for 40 minutes in a turnout area (the manual states that you need to wait 20 minutes in this case). I continued the trip, but the transmission was not shifting gear. I pushed the accelerometer and rpms were at 5000 and gear was not shifted (the speed was around 10-20 M/H). After a few attempts to increase rpms the gear shifted. The "check engine" light came on. I parked the car for 5-6 hours. On my way back the issue appeared after 20-30 minutes of driving. In my garage, I noticed that I'm not able to drive in the reverse direction. The reverse gear was not shifting. I felt like the vehicle was in neutral position. I was not able to park the vehicle. I had to push the car into the parking spot. The next day the light "check engine" turned off and the vehicle was shifting ok. I was able to drive the car to a Hyundai dealer. The service man was unable to verify the transmission issue. The diagnostic code was P191464. The service man contacted Hyundai fse. Fse advised replacing the shift motor actuator. The shift motor actuator was replaced. I picked the car up from the service today on September 25th. I drove from service to home without any issue ( approximately 6 miles).

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 012015

When in drive, at low speeds (between 5mph and 10mph) the vehicle becomes jerky when decelerating, vehicle shudders as if troubling to change gears.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Apr 242015

Sonata 4-cyl

Bought 2 brand new Sonata with top technology package on 4/15/2015. The problem happened on both new cars. Whenever the gas pedal is off, the computer/software take control of slowing the car down even with open road ahead, on flat surface, on corners, up or down hill. This happened whether it is in eco, nor or pwr driving mode. At various stages, the brake kicks in at various speed and the transmission downshift prematurely; in deceleration, the RPM will only goes down until idling speed, but I can see the RPM goes up a few hundred RPM at least twice before the Sonata come to a complete stop" Sonata does not have "hill decent control" like the range rover for specific safety reasons. In cruise control, it is even worst. If you set cruise at 60, later speed up to 80 to pass a slower car, once you let off the gas pedal, the car hit the brake and slow you back to 60? what is the hurry? coasting is drivers best friend because it means free mileage. Yet Sonata engineer thinks otherwise. This erratic behavior would certainly irritate the driver behind you enough and even cause road rage. If the Sonata decided to hit the brake by itself at a fast corner, what will happened? there is an article in detroit bureau mark B, said his 2012 equus spin out of control and no one understand why" I brought back the car twice to the dealer and both the mechanic and the sale manager defend their product. Attach article from detroit bureau.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Apr 062015

Sonata 4-cyl

On 04/06/2016, the vehicle's engine began to run rough and hesitated. Lack of acceleration, even at 4000 rpms (top speed 20 mph at 4000 rpms). The vehicle began to stall and required the gas pedal to be pressed due to low rpms at idle. The problem is intermittent, with no warning to the operator, and poses a significant safety risk on roadways with speed limits above 40 mph. No engine warning light came on to warn the operator. After three occurrences of this problem, in less than 24 hours, the vehicle, with only 1,351 miles on the odometer, was taken to dealership for service on 4/7/2015. After replacing, the fuel pump, the vehicle was returned to the owner on 04/10/2015. Less than 2 miles after picking the vehicle up from service, the problem occurred again, on a 50 mph roadway. The operator was very concerned for her safety as other motorists were swerving around the vehicle and honking their horns. Again, no engine warning lights came on to warn the operator. Once again, the vehicle was taken back to the dealership within 20 minutes of initial pick-up, for further repairs. The dealership has had the vehicle ever since, changing multiple parts dealing wit the fuel systems, and has yet to correct the problem to date (04/16/2015).

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jan 202015

I went to accelerate, by depressing the accelerator, and the engine revved high, but, the car did not accelerate and there didn't appear to be power at the wheels. It acted as if the transmission was slipping. I let off of the pedal and it downshifted and power to the wheels was restored. I repeated this process 3 times after and I could replicate it every time. Drove to the dealership and left it for service. They drove it the next day and couldn't replicate the issue. I have not been able to replicate the issue since that day either.

- Dublin, OH, USA