2016 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata:

2016 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Oct 102016

Sonata

I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata limited with the ultimate package that has forward collision protection which is a wonderful thing if you are about to hit a concrete wall. However if you are flowing with traffic and have to slam on your breaks because the car in front of you does and then they start to go again, the Sonata thinks you are coming to a wall and sends you to a complete stop. This causes problems with the traffic behind you. I have almost been rear ended twice. I now disable it because I drive the DC beltway where people constantly slam their brakes. It's a great concept but definitely needs a lot of work before it is safe on our busy roads

- Odenton, MD, USA

Sep 302016

Sonata

Have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata limited with the ultimate package and was driving down the road at the approximate speed of 35mph with no vehicles in front nor behind me when the instrument panel started illuminating and beeping and the brakes abruptly slammed! had there been a car behind me it would have rear ended me. My daughter was in the passenger seat. This was at approximately 4500 miles. I took it to the dealership and no problems found

- Odenton, MD, USA

Nov 012016

Sonata

Takata recall. My foots sometimes brushes a fuse box that is mounted above the gas/brake pedals, causing me to lose a split second in going from gas to brake. I only have a size 10.5 shoe. Did not have this problem with my 2011 Sonata. Much more foot room down there on 2011 model. Service dealer said nothing can be done.

- Commack, NY, USA

Jun 272016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 35 mph, automatic emergency braking (aeb) system engaged for no reason. As a result, the contact's vehicle was rear ended. When the aeb system engaged, a high pitched tone sounded and an aeb system indicator illuminated. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was no failure and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,769...updated 11/17/16

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 142016

Sonata

Around 10pm I was driving with one passenger straight down a local Suburban street. There were no other cars nearby on the road nor were there any pedestrians in the vicinity. Abruptly, without any warning, the car gave off a beep and brought itself to an immediate stop in the middle of the road without any interaction from me at all. The road in front of the car was clear and following the stop no warnings were displayed on the dashboard indicating a reason for it or a malfunction in any of the systems. My passenger and I were extremely fortunate that there was not a car coming up behind us because this immediate unintended stop for no reason would very likely have caused an accident.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Jul 212016

Sonata

Emergency brake self engaged while entering roadway causing car to be immobile and smoke poured from rear of car. Was nearly T-boned then it suddenly accelerated....updated 08/31/16

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jun 202016

Sonata

As I was accelerating onto a highway the electronic emergency brake system ( attached to rear wheels of vehicle) without warning activated while vehicle was accelerating at speeds of over 55 mph. Brake system pulsed violently and then wheels completely locked up cause the car to rear wheels locked up causing damage to entire rear braking system. Hyundai failed to alert me to this danger and only disclosed it after the vehicle failed. After the vehicle was towed to the Hyundai dealership, Hyundai now claims to have this notice out- manufacturer campaign id: Tff 2016 Sonata electric parking brake logic update. Luckily, we maintained control of the vehicle throughout the skid and system failures. We had to throw water on rear wheels/brakes to keep them from catching on fire. Entire rear brake system destroyed...multiple sensor systems failed for this fault condition to occur. According to Hyundai manuals, this situation is impossible with their redundant sensors/check sensors, yet it did occur. Hyundai is investigating, however they did not seem too concerned that they put my family in danger with a product they knew was defective, yet they never alerted me to this issue. Vehicle has 5002 miles on it, and was purchased 3-5-2016, owned just over 3 months.... updated 08/23/16

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Feb 192016

Sonata

On February 19 2019 I was driving a car rental from hertz driving on the freeway in southern ca driving only 25 mph I crashed trying to avoid crashing into car in front of me kept putting on my breaks and the car would not stopped the breaks malfunction I tried to changing lane I still crashed I was going 25 mph the car was totaled bumper was plastic or fiber glass the air bag "exploded" not deployed. The plastic compartment where the airbags is stored, explode plastic became a jagged knife.it punctured a hole on my legs sliced other part of my legs when air bag explode some of the plastic was released and sliced my legs, air bag releases extreme smoke inside the car all you are inhaling is smoke. Air bag I was in and out of consciousness from smoke inhalation I became dehydrated throwing up trapped from the airbag that is pasted against the driver side door. The airbag when it explode becomes a death trapped!!! instead of saving peoples life the plastic material manufacture the air bag is a plastic material it sticks tightly against the door if you do not have any strength to try to peel off or pull the airbag off the door you become trapped... if the crash does not kill you the smoke inhalation and being trapped by the airbag will! when airbag it explodes the plastic compartment becomes a jagger knife the airbag releases extreme smoke after air bag explodes I was taken to emergency room I was given a technic shot behind airbag and plastic explode. When I got out the emergency room three days later I went to the tow place to take a look at the car and took video pictures and took pictures of the airbag jagged plastic that caused my injury.. car rental is just worried about there car not me I almost died

- Daly City, CA, USA

Jan 262016

Sonata

Rear brakes failed to properly function while the vehicle was in forward motion on a highway. Both rear brakes locked up without operator pressing on brake petal. Both rear brakes and wheel got red hot causing passenger side rear brakes caught on fire. No brake warning lights was activate. This event took place twice, once on 1/27/16 (18 days after purchase) and 2nd time 3/7/16. (30 days after it was allegedly repaired.

- Middlburg, FL, USA

Jan 042016

Sonata

I purchased my vehicle and felt like the brakes were pulling. It felt like the emergency brake was on but there was no indicator that it was on. The car was being driven at this point.

- New Orleans, LA, USA