9.3

2016 Hyundai Sonata miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata:

2016 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Oct 022016

Sonata

Issue #1 seat belt safety-choking incident filed separate tracking # 10935641 issue # 2 bought vehicle Sept. 29, 2016 with zero mileage on car. Happened October 1, and 2nd, and random. On October 3, 2016 brought vehicle into maintenance because the vehicle is making thumping sound while driving. Sometimes when driving on the street, less than 25-30mph car spontaneously does this sound. I pull over to the side of the road, look under the vehicle, to see if something is dragging. Nothing is there. I start driving again, the sound returns, pull over, again nothing found outside of vehicle or underneath. Inside the vehicle I notice that the emergency parking brake light is on as a signal on the dash board. I did not turn it on. It smells like something is burning on the vehicle. I lift the hood. Nothing found. I return the vehicle to the dealership on October 3, 2016 for inspection at the Hyundai gerald dealership in North Aurora Illinois where vehicle was purchased. This has happened several times same scenario since purchasing up until December 4, 2016. Hyundai maintenance found no problems. Issue # 3 incident has been happening since about 1 week after vehicle purchase at start of car and while driving. Interior car lights randomly come on. This can be interior driver side, interior passenger side, and interior rear lights. Unable to replicate happens sometimes while driving as well. Usually fixed by depressing button. But, button was not originally pressed to turn this light on. Has been reported to dealership and Hyundai manufacturer. Manufacturer or dealership has not resolved or found the issue. These issues are documented in vehicle maintenance reports anytime vehicle was taken for service. Issues have been reported to Hyundai manufacturer. No resolution has been offered.

- Plano, IL, USA

Dec 042016

Sonata

Safety issue: On Sunday, Dec 4, 2016 at 4:45pm while driving on expressway in Chicago, Illinois, I -55 South, near kedzie, our 5yr old child, who was in the backseat on passenger side, in her car booster seat reported that the car seat was around her neck. She was in the rear with another child. I, shanita, unbuckled my seat beat and turned around to find that the car seat was tightened around her neck completely unable to loosen with little room for her to breath. I placed my two fingers, B/T her neck and seatbelt. My husband, pulled to the side of the road. He placed his two fingers between her neck and seat belt. Anytime we touched the seat belt it retracted tighter, we had to instruct my daughter to not moved and continued to secure her airway and did not touch the seatbelt. I called 911 and immediately began to flag people on the expressway down to help. We asked if he had scissors or knife to cut the seat belt off. The passerby/motorist in a white Ford pick-up, had a sporting knife and on first try could not cut the seatbelt off. On the second try he was able to cut the seat belt off. The seat belt was found to be unbuckled. My daughter said she did not unbuckle the seat belt and didn't know it was doing that. She stated her dress was underneath the bottom of seatbelt. The seat belt was found to be around her neck in the fashion of the cancer ribbon sign. Car was new with 4500 miles on it. Car taken back to Hyundai dealership, Monday, Dec 5. 2016, filed complaint with Hyundai safety team at 714-965-3316 with rep. Ed martell. Mr. Martell at later date said safety team found nothing and seat work properly. On Friday, Dec. 16th called maintenance at dealership who said Hyundai safety engineer had not seen the car and were waiting to hear back. No work or engineer inspection has been done on car per tony in maintenance up to 12/16/16. Case #9788848

- Plano, IL, USA

Feb 072016

Sonata

TPMS indicators continue to say there is an issue and the tire and tire pressure but the car shows the correct tire pressure and there is no damage to the tires.

- Anniston, AL, USA