2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Owner Comments

Sep 062015

Sonata Hybrid

We were driving on I81N in Virginia when it sounded like we were driving over gravel.I thought it could have been a tire. Found tires were ok. Waited to pull out safely. Seconds after we entered I81N, we began to lose power, A/C and a warning light indicating to check hybrid system came on in message board. We pulled off at exit 277N and had enough power to find a safe place to pull over.I discovered that the serpentine belt was shredded. We were towed to a Hyundai dealer where the car sat overnight on 9/6/15 until service opened on 9/8/15. The serpentine belt was replaced as well as the water pump belt which was also damaged. The mechanic informed me the new belt was not running true on the tensioner and a ridge had formed on the outside surface of the tensioner. My opinion is that the part was defective because the belt was not running true.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Jul 102014

Sonata Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, he attempted to brake and all the warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled and could be restarted. The failure recurred on fifty occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission, the electric motor, and the oil pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Oct 112013

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

On October 11, 2013 I was driving vehicle at about 30 mph. The traction, brake, and check engine light started flashing. The engine started to accelerate & decelerate at random and vehicle jerked (intermittently) all mentioned lights then stayed on constantly. Vehicle was driven to dealership. Dealership scan tested & found steering angle sensor code in history, then recalibrated steering angle sensor. Vehicle was also serviced for recall regarding lower control arm (replaced). 2nd incident occurred on 10/22/13. I started car in the morning, and all the lights came on. Vehicle was shut off and then towed to same dealer. Service technician could not "duplicate" code. I was told by service that car was fine/operable. 3rd incident occurred on 10/23/13. I was driving and vehicle brake light, & trac light came on. Car was again jerking/surging and accelerating and decelerating at random. Vehicle scanned by technician and multiple "can" codes and steering angle sensor communication code found in history. Technician called technical assistance and was advised to replace motor driven power steering unit, replaced steering column with power steering unit, all ok after repairs (per dealer). Rental car charge incurred totaling $26.28. 4th incident occurred on 1/2/14. I was driving vehicle and traction control lights, brake light, and ABS brake started flashing. Trac light then stayed on constantly. Car began jerking (again) and accelerated/decelerating. Vehicle taken to different dealership. Service writer test drove car while I was in vehicle, and stated there was something definitely wrong w/vehicle and that it wasn't safe to drive. Rental car obtained. Technician looked at car, called support, and was told to charge hybrid battery. Service writer called back and stated that car was ready to be picked up. I refused to pick car...

- Wind Lake, WI, USA

Aug 012013

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

I was coming off of an on ramp to get onto the highway and due to traffic I had to let off the gas. The vehicle suddenly accelerated by itself, causing me to nearly lose control of the vehicle. Another incident took place at a school crosswalk area. I lightly pressed the brakes and the vehicle accelerated by itself causing my head to whip back and me to press harder on the brake. Nearly hitting kids as they crossed in front of my vehicle.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

May 042013

Sonata Hybrid 4-cyl

This began as a intermittent hesitant clunk, both during acceleration/deceleration in transitioning between electric motor / gas engine. It has progressed into an unexpected physical jump while going forward and reverse. The latest development was lurching forward at a crosswalk without consciously stepping firmly on the brake. Emails have been sent to Hyundai without a response addressing the problem. The car has been into the dealership twice, where components unrelated to the symptoms were replaced and a manager saying "that's what they do, and Hyundai considers it normal". normal !"!" the problem is widely known, because it has been published in the media, and no dealership will offer anything but a lowball offer on a trade in, just to turn it around and dump it to auction for parts.

- Prescott, AZ, USA