2005 Hyundai Tucson electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Tucson:

2005 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Jan 012015

Vehicle locks and unlocks doors at random, with or without keys in the ignition. Causes battery to fail as it will continue this when not in use. This is the second Hyundai I owned that had this same problem and looking through carfax on used vehicles there are numerous vehicles with repeated electrical problems. The vehicle can be moving or in parked in a garage overnight. Vehicle had me locked inside so long at one point that I was late for a meeting and was about to crawl out a window when I was actually able to use a door. This is a definite safety issue for any type of accident. Rescue could not take place as door could not be opened. This is an on going problem that has not been solved by dealership.

- Kiel, WI, USA

Aug 252012

Tucson 6-cyl

Engine on our 2005 Hyundai Tucson turned off in the middle of a busy highway going approximately 40 mph. Managed to turn/roll off the road without power or power steering. Had to restart car several times as it would stall out on acceleration or when slowing to turn. Paid dealership $209 to "fix" the problem, but the problem still exists a month later and is getting progressively worse each day. Dealership did oil change, vehicle inspection and replaced "P0444 evap purge control valve connector." Clearly this did not solve the problem as this severe safety hazard persists. Hyundai has no answers and several other similar complaints we've read have been filed with the NHTSA. Something has got to be done.

- Independence, MO, USA

Jun 202013

Tucson 6-cyl

Vehicle was traveling at approximately 40 mph when the vehicle suddenly stopped running and blocked the center lane of traffic on a busy thoroughfare during rush hour. Attempts to restart the vehicle were unsuccessful at first. After 15 minutes vehicle was able to start and stayed running. This type of incident has also happened in the past - vehicle will be traveling at speed and will just suddenly shut off and not restart. Vehicle has been taken to a service shop to be evaluated. Vehicle has a new coil pack, plugs, wires, throttle position sensor, A/C compressor, and timing belt. Vehicle, once repaired, is going be sold due to its continued unreliability and tendency to just stall at any time at any speed.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Jun 252012

Will start for a week then won't start. Will keep doing this. Had battery and other parts replaced - but keeps doing this. Still paying for the car.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Feb 162011

I usually keep my car in the garage and out of the weather. I recall last year my daughter said my car stalled out when she was driving. I told her water may have just splashed under the engine or something. I just had the same issue. We had a rain storm last night. I went out and started my car. I came out to leave and my car was off. I tried to start it again but it didn't want to turn over. Finally after 7 tries the car started. I backed out and it just sputtered and the car just cut out twice. I just had new sparkplugs and spark plug wires put in so it has to be something in the electric to the motor. I don't trust having my grandson in the car. I have read horrible stories about the same thing happening to other owners with the same issue. I borrowed my boyfriends car so I could get to work. Hoping maybe someone knows if there is a recall on this issue.

- Covington , KY, USA

Dec 232011

Tucson 6-cyl

Problem with stalling at low speeds I.e - coasting to a stop/pulling into parking spaces. Mechanics do not know what it is since there is no check engine light and does not register any codes. Nervous driving for fear that the engine will stall at higher rates of speed and will lose all power.

- Islip, NY, USA

Oct 072010

Tucson 4WD 6-cyl

My 2005 Hyundai Tucson (2.7L V-6 4WD) has for the last 1.5 years has been: 1.stalling out 2. running very rough with no power (especially when raining or after several days of rain) 3. cranks over but doesn't start 4. engine quits running on highway (leaving us stranded on route I-80). All intermittently! I have had the car in a repair shop where they replaced the ignition coil pack assembly (6/2011). Then it failed again but not long enough to get something diagnosed, so I drove it just knowing someday it was going to happen again. Finally it failed again (1/1/2012) this time long enough for me to get the code/S from the ECM. It had a hard crankshaft position sensor failure. Then it ran fine. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and upon removal and inspection the sensors three wires were bare. The outer insulation covering all three wires was not only gone but the individual wire insulation was also missing (about 3" of bare copper wire). A quick look of some websites turned up photos of four other crankshaft position sensors that looked the same (missing insulation/ wires shorting) all coming from Hyundai Tucson's. in my opinion this is a very very dangerous situation. Looking at other ntsb complaints for 05, 06 Tucson's turns up nearly 60 other stalling engine; running rough; engine cuts off; type complaints.

- Lock Haven, PA, USA

Jun 022011

Unexpected acceleration of engine when at complete stop (at stop sign) and foot had been on brake for at least 30 seconds. Shift was in drive, engine went full speed, all wheels spun on ground, creating much smoke. Foot remained on brake. Note that accelerator pedal when not engaged is below level of brake pedal when it is engaged and that when accelerator pedal is full down then its level is 3 inches below the brake pedal level when it is engaged. Right foot was on brake - thus no way for operator error since if foot had been off brake the vehicle would have shot forward into intersection and there would have been a multiple car accident. And there is no way to have right foot on brake and to have accelerator full down at the same time. Shifted to neutral, engine continued to race, some noise when shifted - may have harmed transmission. Turned off ignition switch and engine stopped. Vehicle started normally after this. Ac was on. Car had full dealer service at 45,661 miles and state inspection a week before this incident. At 45755 miles, tech confirmed ses light; found code P0150 oxygen sensor- not replaced, software updated for engine control module. Updated 06/24/11

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jan 052011

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Tucson. While driving approximately 35 mph and applying pressure to the horn to avoid a crash, the horn would not sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer six times for the failure where the technicians replaced the horn, the conjunction box and the horn modulator but to no avail. The vehicle was left with the dealer where the contact was awaiting further diagnosis. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 47,153.

- Bloomfield, CT, USA

Mar 022011

Tucson 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls when driving. Towed to dealer. Dealer claims that they cannot diagnose since they cannot hookup to computer. Dealer claiming computer must be replaced first, but is outside warranty. Vehicle has been brought to multiple dealers throughout the time of ownership to report problem. Problem continuously goes unfounded. As seen on NHTSA and other postings this is a common problem that could result in serious injury or loss of life. Hyundai corporate claims there is nothing they can do to help.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Oct 102010

The contact owns a 2005 hyundia Tucson. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the engine suddenly turned off. The vehicle was pulled to the side of the road and after approximately 20 minutes, the contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and was not repaired. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Hancock, MD, USA

Jun 202005

Bought a 2005 Tucson new. It now only has 19K miles on it. But from day one, when I approach a red light/stop sign at about 30-50 mph, many times as I depress the brake pedal, it feels like I'm riding on speed bumps through the pedal/car and I have to keep tapping the brakes as I can feel the car will not stop in time and quickly put the car in neutral. I brought it up at my dealership along with the fact when I lock my car with the key remote, the horn beep to engage the rarely sounds. It may sound 1 or 2 times in 100 lockings. Also brought that up to them, with both they found nothing. That was years ago. I still live with this nightmare and in 2009 my Hyundai service center closed. I contacted Hyundai to ask where to go and would the new place honor these old problems but they said "probably not". now my car past the 5 year mark and still has only 19K miles on it and I'm up the creek without paddle. P.S. after reading about other's tire wear problems, mine are almost three quarters worn with only 19K on them. Needles to say, Hyundai customer service is "not there when you need them".

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Feb 102009

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that the horn, door locks and safety alarms would malfunction periodically. The dealer advised repairs could not be made to the vehicle until the systems failed completely. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 57,000 and the current mileage was 91,252. The VIN was not available.

- Garland , TX, USA

Jan 262005

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Tucson. While driving 15 mph in rainy conditions, the brakes lock up when they are applied and the vehicle skids. The vehicle also skids when driving over a bump in the road. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that it needed an updated program in its computer system. They performed the upgrade, but the failure is still present. He called the manufacturer, but they refused to make any other types of repair. The contact believes that a recall should be issued because it appears to be a manufacturer defect. The failure mileage was 100 and current mileage was 60,000.

- Palisades Park, NJ, USA

Apr 212008

Have had vehicle into dealer many times over the years complaining of no start issue. Once vehicle is jumped it is fine for awhile. Battery, starter and alternator always seem to test good and no codes are found. I had to go buy a portable jumper unit to carry as this happens at least once a week and if it sits more than a few days, it will not start and is dead. Dealer states they cannot find the cause. Bought new in 2005 and has happened over 35 times since new.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 082007

Tucson 4WD 6-cyl

In 5 months of owning this 2 year old car I had so many problems with it. Within 2 weeks after I purchased it the car started dying on me for no reason/ after I was finally able to get an appointment at dealer a few weeks later they fixed it somewhat as they claimed the air filter hose was loose and caused the problem. A week later vehicle continued to die. So I brought it again to dealer, and no problem was found. Then I took it home and it died every few days on the freeway, on street, and making turns left or right or idling at a stop sign. The last time on 6/28 I brought it to dealer as it had died 7 times on 6/27. I left it and apparently on 6/29 it was taken to Hyundai for a few hours. Then I received a call after 5 pm that it was ready. I called back and said I was not coming to get it until it was tested further. They called me back and claimed car did not have any gas, they found no problems with it, and we will be canceling the rental on Saturday. I called and spoke with a manager, and he agreed with me. However, the car never was taken back to the dealership until 7/5 when I came to get it as I called on it since they never called me. It was still empty on gas, the car was filled with spider webs, and no miles were really put on it for testing. 3 days later on 7/8 the car died on my way to the kids. Here what irritated me off the most at 6:32 pm on the 14 freeway I was headed home going 65-70 mph on the freeway and the car died with a semi-truck behind me and I was almost creamed.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jan 022005

Tucson 6-cyl

25 problems later from purchasing a 2005 Hyundai tuscan on 1/2/05 and nothing has been done. I could get into a major accident an Hyundai didn't care. I have written numerous complaints, spoken to a supervisor, 1 case manager, and 3 customer service representatives from NHTSA and all I got were empty promises. Ongoing problem with espy system-pulsating brakes, losing power, gas pedal locked, and swaying from side to side on the highway/street was no joke. For this not to occur I had to drive with the air conditioner on if not it happened every half and hour. Now how would you like an 18 wheeler behind you while this was happening" electronically problems-remote control sometimes worked, doors opened/closed B themselves, doors got stuck, manually opening door it sounded like it was dying, doors locked from inside I had to climb out of the window twice, the car has been reprogram more times then anything, I had 3 multi point inspections, recall 079-remove-replaced air bag control, recall 068 espy-hydraulic control unit (hecu, recall January 2006-espy_electronic stability program, recall 071 July 06, 2005 parking brakes, recall 921 tuscan owners manual, recall 068-8/5/06. Mats rolled under brake replaced, brakes slid when it rained, back window wipers made noise when it rained, sun glass holder got stuck even though it was replaced, passenger seat back cracked twice and replaced. I would like to know how many owner tuscan owners suffered like I did without any help, if so email me at I contacted the 1-800 they give on this site and I spoke to a case manager and she wanted me to fax to her all the paper work and forms I have sent out. The total of pages was 52 and it would cost $75 to send, which they did not reimburse, they didn't have a actual address to send the information to, she gave me a file number I got August 1, 06, so I asked where the paper work"

- Hartsdale, NY, USA

Aug 062006

Tucson 6-cyl

Aug 22, 05 I brought in my car because the driver side was getting stuck. They couldn't find anything. On 9/12/06 brought my vehicle because the driver side door doesn't open at times, the clicker to open the door doesn't work, the doors close/open when I am sitting in the car without car being on. Sometimes I have to crawl through passenger side. My dad brought it in and I had appointment for 7:10 am, at 12:30 they said it was done they were walking on the wrong car then at they look at the car at 12:30 and said they couldn't find anything. Then, at 1:00 another mechanic look at and they told my dad they reprogram the vehicle. My vehicles has been reprogrammed more then 7 times from the time I purchase it along with my other problems I have complaint about. I need someone who knows how to deal with this problem to fix my vehicle. On both invoice they did not indicate what they did to the vehicle.

- Hartsdale, NY, USA