2006 Hyundai Tucson steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Tucson:

2006 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

May 312012

When turning right on a raining day, loss of power - no steering or brakes. 2006 tuscon would run radio would be on - battery light and brake lights on - 10 seconds after managing to get out of traffics way - car would move. Hyundai foxed the car by replacing sensors and some other work resulting in over a $1000. Prior major service was serpentine belt and chain replacement on service recommendations - had no issues before the chain was replaced. Ever since - the transmission had to reset for hesitation between 20 and 40 mph and the additional sensor work. Hyundai would not give me any warranty work as my 6 years had just expired. I am taking the car back in tomorrow for the same issue. While driving today in a sudden down pour - the first one since I had the car fixed that I have had to drive in and the incident occurred again except this time I was driving and not turning. Water seemed to get under the engine and something is getting wet. I requested a rental car and I am leaving for vacation on Saturday to the shore. If its not fixed this time - I may have to consider a new car and I just paid it off.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Dec 012011

While turning into my carport, my engine stalled. Right before I turned, I took my foot off the accelerator and the car hesitated and lurched forward. This could be a potentially dangerous problem if my car stalls on the road and some other driver rear ends me.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

May 242011

Tucson 4WD 6-cyl

Crankshaft balancer/pulley separation causes serpentine belt failure and loss of power steering. The crankshaft pulley on several Hyundai models with the 2.7 liter engine appears to have a high failure rate. The pulley is made of an inner and outer metal rings joined with an elastomeric compound. When the elastomeric compound fails the outer ring slips and works off the inner pulley causing the serpentine belt to bind against the engine block a or accessory mounting brackets resulting in a catastrophic failure. In all cases the failure results in a loss of drive to all accessories including the power steering pump. I have found numerous articles/blogs about this issue including this video on youtube /watch?V=X5kzz1tmj8Y.

- Lexington Park, MD, USA

Jul 242010

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that while driving on wet pavement, he attempted to make a left turn and the vehicle failed to turn to the left. She was finally able to drive the vehicle home. The rotors were inspected by the owner and there were grooves in them and the brake pads were worn out. The right rear brake had also locked up. The dealership admitted being aware of a problem with the calipers. The dealer advised the failure was not covered under warranty. Hound was contacted and offered to repair it as a good will repair, which was done. The dealer stated that if it happened again the repairs would be at the owners expense. The problem has not recurred since the repairs were done. The failure and current mileage was 28,474.

- Pontiac , IL, USA

Jan 022008

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Tucson. While driving approximately 60 mph and above, the vehicle would shimmy and come up through the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer approximately six different times and they changed all four tires on three occasions; however, the vehicle still shakes. The current mileage was 30,108 and failure mileage was 23,000.

- Alburn, NH, USA