2012 Hyundai Veloster body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Veloster:

2012 Hyundai Veloster Owner Comments

Sep 142015

As I was driving on the highway, the sunroof to my car suddenly exploded for no apparent reason. This very easily could have caused me to wreck into another car, as I panicked to move from the far left lane to the far right shoulder. I thought at first that I had hit someone, or someone had hit me. However upon inspection there was nothing wrong with any other part of my car. I can best explain this by asking you to imagine driving down the highway and a huge rock falling on my sunroof. After a pulled over and inspected my broken sunroof there was no rock or anything else to suggest something fell on my roof.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Dec 282014

Driving at 70mph southbound on I-5 near albany or the sunroof suddenly imploded, showering the inside of the car with glass. The sunroof was closed as were all of the windows and the shade was open. Despite the traffic I was able to pull over to the side of the road and my passenger and I could shake out the pieces of glass from our hair and clothes. Apart from some small cuts there were no serious injuries. The entire inside of the car is covered in bits of broken glass- thankfully we didn't have anyone in the back seats. Upon having the service department at the dealer inspect the roof, I was told to contact my insurance company and see if I have coverage for the glass. When the sunroof recall came out last year I brought my vehicle in immediately and was told that it was okay, so this apparently absolves Hyundai from responsibility when it fails as mine did. What I don't understand is why this roof is not made of laminated glass or somehow coated so that if it were to shatter glass wouldn't enter the passenger compartment.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Nov 252014

2012 Hyundai Veloster was recalled last year for a sunroof defect in which the sunroof may explode without warning. Car was taken to a Hyundai dealer, where they ended up replacing the sunroof because it was defective. November 25,2014, wife was driving the car at approximately 50 mph, when sunroof blew up, sending glass flying throughout the inside and outside of car. Wife had small cuts to face and arms, with glass pieces throughout her hair and clothes.

- Mount Wolf, PA, USA

Oct 152013

Sunroof shattered/exploded when parked. Glass flew up to two feet away. Outdoor temp was near 70 F.

- North Potomac, MD, USA

Sep 302013

Veloster 4-cyl

The sunroof of my 2012 Hyundai Veloster exploded today without warning. The sunroof was under a recall campaign and was checked by the dealership. However, the dealership signed off that the sunroof was fine and did not need to be replaced. However, today (about 6 months after having checked on the sunroof) it exploded while driving on the highway and the shattered sunroof fell into the car all over me and the inside of the car.

- Galesburg, MI, USA

Jun 222013

While driving down the freeway at 65 mph, the sunroof shattered and glass fell down on me while driving. Fortunately, I was not injured and was able to safely exit the freeway. The car had been checked for a recall for defective sunroofs and had passed inspection by the dealer.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jan 182013

Veloster 4-cyl

The car (Hyundai Veloster 2013, manual transmission, production date May 3, 2012) was parked on a small hill, with the hand brake pulled all the way. Apparently the hand brake failed, the car rolled downhill hitting a fence.

- Hormigueros, PR, USA

Nov 262012

Veloster 4-cyl

My car was park at my work parking lot and it was around 37 degrees F outside. I went to my car to get something out of my trunk. When I closed my trunk I heard a splash after the trunk closed. I thought I splashed some water, but I then saw and realized that something was not right on my roof. I took a closer look and saw that my sunroof had blown up. Glass debris was everywhere especially on my windshield. I drove it home that night and brought it to the dealer where I bought it and they went ahead and gave me a rental car right away. I asked them for the best offer for a new car but they just wanted to sell me a new car. I don't trust the Hyundai brand anymore and im hoping in trading it in for a different car...updated 12/31/12 pictures received. 01/03/13

- Kent, WA, USA

Jun 022012

There seems to be a problem with adjusting the Veloster side mirrors so they swing far enough out for tall drivers. Online forums indicate a number of drivers with this complaint. My dealer basically says "live with it" but with the blind spots on this car, that is not a safe answer. Drivers (5'10" and up) need to be able to safely see what is forward of the rear bumper of the vehicle and can't.

- Westford, MA, USA

Aug 282012

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the panoramic sun roof exploded and the glass fragments scattered outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was in the process of replacing the sun roof. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jul 312012

Veloster 4-cyl

While driving down the interstate highway, sun roof "exploded" landing on me and throughout the interior. Sunroof was in the tilt position, to allow air flow, but no completely open. Cool 65 degree morning, sunny when occurred. Was not driving under any objects, nor did I see anything struck the car or glass. Made a load noise when it broke. Interior of the car was damaged as large pieces of glass fell inside....updated 08-15-12 updated 08/16/2012

- Winthrop, ME, USA

Jul 152012

Veloster 4-cyl

I am very traumatized since earlier today approximately 11am the glass sun roof on my 2012 Veloster exploded when I was rinsing the car off. The weather was in the high 70S or 80S but whatever the case its extremely dangerous and unacceptable since I had children that could have had bodily injury since they were playing close by. The explosion spread shattered glass around 6 feet around the car and driveway and it was such an unfortunate situation! I would not want this to happen to any other Veloster owners or future owners since it makes me sick since I live far away and was suppose to be home by now but due to this explosion I had to get it towed to a Hyundai dealership! I sincerely hope that Hyundai will resolve this issue since I was informed that this has happened to other Veloster owners and since the car has only been in the us market for 8+ months its utterly unacceptable that its happened to multiple owners! when arriving to the dealership they told me that it is no big deal and this is really not true! it is a big deal since bodily injury did happen during the explosion since I took off my shirt after a frantic traumatic day to try and sleep and I have a small cut from the shattered glass! this is really making me so upset since its my first time as a Hyundai owner and I regret having purchased this vehicle. I no longer feel safe and anxious to see what Hyundai will do to fix the problem! its so wrong for a car company to not care about the safety of the consumer since the statement from the salesman at the dealership where my car was towed is completely unacceptable and untrue! it is not normal for a car to explode when rinsing it off and there is no warning on the vehicle or manuals that would indicate caution to rinse your car in any climate! reading forums some people just hit a bump in the road and the sunroof shatters! this is a major flaw!

- Hercules, CA, USA