3.5

2012 Hyundai Veloster electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Veloster:

2012 Hyundai Veloster Owner Comments

May 032016

Veloster

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated that the push to start button failed to start the vehicle. On several occasions, it was difficult to turn the vehicle off by using the push to start button. The contact stated that the failure caused the radio and the back up camera to become inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the battery needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,871. Updated 06/29/16

- Camden, NJ, USA

Jan 122016

Veloster

Car often fails to start when turning the ignition key. The lights, and radio turn on when the ignition key is in, but when I turn the key to start I hear a click and the car is dead. If I repeat this several times the car may start normally. The problem stated several weeks ago. I have gone to the dealer twice. The first time they claimed it was the battery. They changed the battery (it cost me $100). This solved the problem for 2-3 days (or perhaps it was the warmer weather, see below). A week later the problem came back and the engine light came on. They replaced the oxygen sensor. This fixed the engine light issue. The car was ok for a day. The problem with failing start is back and it is getting worst. Yesterday it took me 5 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes at night to start the car. I got the feeling that the problem worsens in cold weather (I told that to the dealer the first time I brought it in, but they just ignored me). Each time I took it to the dealer the whether happened to be warmer (above 0 celsius). Last couple of days the temperature was below -3 celsius. Yesterday I parked the car inside my garage. This morning, with a temperature +4 celsius in my garage, the car started at the first try. I waited 10 minutes and tried again and the car again started at the first try. I will go to the dealer again this weekend. I tried different ways of starting the car with no success (1-clutch engaged and first, 2-clutch engaged and neutral, 3-neutral and no clutch, 3-different variations of radion on/off, as well as heater fan on, or off. The following may have been there always but now I notice since I am more aware of car sounds. There is a beeping sound when I enter the key and turn the dashboard on. That beeping sound last for about 10 seconds and ends with a click. The same happens after the car engine is turn off.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 042016

Veloster

Dealer says they can't replicate the problem. Vehicle has intermittent problems starting. When turning key in ignition, usually in colder weather in the mornings, vehicle will not start. There is just a 1-click sound per ignition cycle, but no ignition occurs. All lights come on dash, radio turns on, etc. Replaced battery due to failed battery test, but this did not fix the starter problem. I believe the starter assembly is starting to fail but the dealer has been very unhelpful. I drive a lot for work, especially to remote areas, and I'm going to get stranded eventually without any cell service.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 172015

Veloster

Vehicle would not start. Smart junction box was found to be faulty due to a short in the wiring harness. In addition to the wiring harness needing to be repaired, the battery needed to be replaced. Was not covered under the warranty or extended warranty.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Apr 202015

Veloster

The date of 4/20/15 is the latest time(or by the way I have to wait till 5/22/15 to bring it in.... first day they had room for me......this is going to be the 4th time they have replace(over the past 2 years) the (97250-2V010-blh control assy-heat) because the fan dial don't work on 3 or 4 positions. When it gets real bad it don't work at all. The dealer is giving me a hard time because they have to replace again..... this is a common problem... and it needs to be fixed.... and when the customer brings it in with this problem they should just say they are sorry and fix it.

- Sayville, NY, USA

May 212014

Veloster 4-cyl

For the 4th time, my 2012 Veloster literally shut off while being driven. It does not stall. It shuts off entirely. No electric. No power. No nothing. Luckily, this has only happened when doing under 15mph or stopped at a light. If this were to happen on a highway or at high speeds, it is quite certain that I would be in an accident as there would be no way to alert other motorists that my vehicle cannot be driven - there are no brake lights or anything when it shuts off. When it shuts off, it is in drive. It cannot be put back into park. I have to put it into neutral to restart it. It does restart without hesitation. I did take it to my local dealer once and they were not able to locate any problem. I have done research on this and see that Hyundai has the same kind of problems most often with their Santa Fe models. I have checked to see if there has been a recall for this issue from Hyundai, but so far they have not addressed this issue.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jan 282014

Veloster 4-cyl

Vehicle fails to engage starter during start sequence. Tried battery booster jump but no change in condition. Car has full power to all lighting and gauges but will not engage starter, all you hear is a "click" sound from engine compartment. Problem has been intermittent since car was towed to dealers on 11/25/13 for no start condition. Dealer was unable to duplicate problem but performed technical service updates to ECM & info ctr. Head unit. Frequency of problem has accelerated over past 4 days and now have to "pop start" the car by rolling it and letting out clutch in gear to start engine. This is a safety issue since the car can leave you stranded with no warning.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

May 112012

Veloster

Purchased car on 5/5/2012 with 6 miles on it. Within less than a week and 200 miles the transmission began clicking. Took it into Hyundai and they stated it needed a new transmission. After 2 1/2 weeks the transmission was replaced as Hyundai refused to give me a different car. Since then the car cannot accelerate, sounds "clunky" and when going at low speeds sounds like the gear isn't engaging and sounds/feels like it would if you released a clutch too early. Car loses power and sounds like it's about to die. A hissing and rattling sound under the hood happens as well. After taking it in to dealer, dealer states they could not find the sounds or noises or loss of power I was having. Rpms rev really high before engaging in first gear. Dealer still won't do anything since they can't diagnose it. I have almost been in multiple accidents for failure of power and car not accelerating. Takes about 3-5 seconds before it goes. Brakes grab too easily as well. Loss of gas mileage (around 6-7 mpg) was reported to dealer but dealer told me it was due to "winter gas." I can understand 2-3 mpg difference but 6-7 is too much. Car has also been in the shop for a week for the car alarm going off constantly for no reason. A piece of the windshield plastic also fell off for no reason when car was 3 weeks old. Dealer duct taped that part down until a new part could be ordered.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Feb 172012

Veloster

Glass and visibility problem: In Feb. 2012 the large back glass (horizontal glass in the back door) in the car broke without any apparent reason. Temperature was normal at the time and no outside object was found in the car. It was a dangerous situation and very expensive fix. Hyundai company did not cover the repair cost under warranty. Electrical problem: From June 2012 too present, there is error message popping out that bluelink is active but not registered. After almost 4 months of contacting the customer service and dealer ship they were not able to fix this error message. Each time that I turn on the car, this message pups up which is distracting and dangerous. Apparently this is a common error with new Hyundai cars with bluelink.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 312012

Veloster

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. The contact stated that the rear seat belts and the passenger air bags failed. The rear seat belts could not be release from the seat or retracted. The air bag warning light remained illuminated and the anti-theft unit activated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer re-calibrated the passenger weight sensor however, the air bag failure was not corrected. The rear seat belts were not replaced and the anti theft system failure was unable to be duplicated however, the anti theft electrical system was updated. The manufacturer was made aware that the tail pipe released a black powder and the manufacturer advised the contact that the black powder was a normal phenomenon that they were aware of. The contact was advised by the manufacturer that they were working on issuing a remedy for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 12,100.

- Sylvania , OH, USA