2013 Hyundai Veloster electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Veloster:

2013 Hyundai Veloster Owner Comments

Feb 272016

Our 2013 model Hyundai Veloster closed sunroof exploded on February 27, 2016 while driving down freeway at 65mph in fast lane. It sounded like a gun going off when the roof exploded into pieces on the backs of me and my husband. We where is utter shock, trying to get off the freeway safely while glass falling on us. When looking at the roof, it was clear that it exploded bursting from inside out; leaving the frame bent like it was forced open from inside out. This was not a pressure issue (before getting on freeway, the sunroof was open). It was not a hot or cold issues either as it was a nice 72 degrees. Though there is a recall for the 2012 Veloster models and unfortunately there has not been enough people to report issues for 2013 models as of yet. When contacting Hyundai dealership, I wanted to file complaint (they gave me an 1800 number) then I asked if there were any issues, they denied ever hearing about something like this. As my husband and I are commuters, we have already run out of warranty and would need to pay out of pocket. I will be fighting for reimbursement of the $1,490 ($500 deductible) that it cost to fix the sunroof and frame that needed replaced. My argument is that I purchased my 2013 vehicle in Oct. 2012, therefore my car was manufactured in 2012 and they were still using the 2012 defected roof for the early 2013 models and that should be honored to the 2012 recall.

- Mountain House, CA, USA

May 012013

Stereo speaker system keeps coming loose from, harness, repaired, broken again. Was told by dealer recall issue. Both headlights and factory installed fog lights have repeatedly gone out, costing several hundred dollars to repair. Paint is chipping off vehicle in several places, has been since approx 6 months after buying car and told by dealer there is nothing wrong with paint, although chipping in straight line

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Jan 212015

Hello, this report is not for a particular incident, however it is widespread and should be addressed. I highly encourage you to read this article: this tells of how the progressive snapshot vulnerable to hackers and transmits the data it collects unencrypted. Since the progressive snapshot is plugged directly into the obd-II port, it has access to the vehicle's computer, which could allow a hacker to control the car. After reading this, I have opted-out of the snapshot program and therefore, my chance to get a discount. This needs to be addressed because it puts millions of people at risk. Thank you

- Alliance, OH, USA

Jul 152014

Veloster 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway during the winter last year approx. January and had half the miles listed above. My interior heat control was on full blast and it cut out. I tried to adjust and it would turn on if the knob was perfectly aligned....slight electrical burning smell was present. Took into dealer and they replaced the interior blower switch, the connection had scortch marks on it so they replaced the wires and connectors along with the switch/control knob. 6 months later the problem was recurring except this time I was running air conditioning as the temp outside was 36 degrees celsius outside.... this time much worse. It smelt like an electrical fire.,,,I took the cover plate off that held the heater controls in place and the connections on it literally melted off into my hand. This is not an isolated incident, many other have the same issue with this car, and this is the second time for me. Here are links to other people having similar issues ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- picture of said issue/melting ---------------------

- Southey, Sk, Canada, TX, USA

Jul 282014

4 times I have hit a pothole or a bump on the road and have had a "loud bang", the car jerks violently and then the wipers came on - one time I had the "loud bang" the car jerked violently the wipers came on and the car went into neutral. The combination of the suspension, tires and rims make this car very dangerous on roads that have any kind of potholes or bumps. Please help.

- Inwood, NY, USA

Apr 222014

Tuesday the 22nd, my stereo stopped coming on start-up. Saturday the 26th car would not start. After car was jump started, stereo came on, but car would not shift. Had to manually override shifter to drive car, at which point I discovered all electrical parts had stopped functioning, including tail lights, turn signals, power windows, etc. Dealership replaced battery and entire junction box, but issue reappeared 1 month later.

- Rochester, NH, USA

Dec 092013

When I wash my car I like to wipe down the engine and the inner part of the front hood. About a week ago I went to wash my car open the hood only to discover a white substance (almost like white battery corrosion) running all down my fire wall cover. I made an appointment with the service department told them not to do anything to the car until they can explain to me how it happen and how are they going to fix it. About 20 minutes later the service manager calls me over and explains to me that the white substance on my firewall was when the detail people from where I purchase my car left it there. I explain to him that would be impossible since I always look at my hood and this was the first time I saw it. The service manager then turns to the two decals on the top of the hood and stated they may be water seeking in but because he did not find the firewall wet he just wiped off the white substance and told me there is nothing he can do it's just the designee of the decals. I'm not even sure it is the two decals; but one thing for sure something is allowing water to seek into my firewall and Hyundai is not taking care of their customers NHTSA please help.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 102013

Veloster 4-cyl

This vehicle had a serious safety issue occur around 5:00 am on July 10th; as I was driving out of my driveway (car in drive and in motion) all power failed. No lights, acceleration, power steering or brakes, etc. Which was a serious hazard especially given the darkness at that time of day. This safety issue followed multiple occasions where all the power failed when trying to enter the vehicle using the provided key fobs. These situations could also have been dangerous as on one occasion this happened while my car was in an urban parking garage in the evening. It took approximately 45 minutes- 1 hour before the power restored and I could start the vehicle. I brought it to the dealership on July 5th to remedy the power issue and the technician could find no issue - they switched out the car battery as a precaution in the event there was a hairline crack causing the intermittent power failures. As of August 27th, the vehicle was still not repaired from the July 10th incident. Dealership notified me it was replacing the entire fuse box and engine wiring harness as the diagnosed cause of the failure.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Apr 262013

It started as some small shocks from door and steering wheel. The vehicle now shocks you from just about anywhere you stand. I did bring it to the dealer and after having for over 3 days only a oil change had been done. I asked to pick up for a appt. I had on Sunday and all three pages of what was to be looked at stated work not done.I told service advisor I needed to get car fixed before I drove across country, I asked to bring it back and he said I thought you were leaving which I am but very concerned about driving any length because it gets painful if I have to turn on lights.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Dec 012012

Veloster 4-cyl

While traveling down the road at approximately 50 mph the crank pulley fell off the motor. This prevents the alternator, water pump and ac compressor from functioning as they are belt driven. With the alternator not functioning the batter will be drained to the point of dead (depending on what accessories are on) and with the water pump not functioning the car will almost immediately overheat leaving the vehicle stranded.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Oct 052012

Vehicle in park, drivers side window and passenger rear does not engage to bring down window. Also 2nd incident on 10/6/2012, passenger door and window does not unlock to open from inside when vehicle placed in park. Have taken into the dealer two times to have vehicle inspected for fault. Technicians have not been able to replicate mis-function. Unsure if vehicle has a defect.

- San Antonio, TX, USA