NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal Problems

2004 Jaguar XJ8 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jaguar XJ8:

2004 Jaguar XJ8 Owner Comments

Sep 052008

Jaguar 2004 failure of accelerator sensor while driving on I-40/I75 in knoxville, tn resulting in a instant shutdown of engine that could have resulted in a fatal or near fatal accident by being "run over" by traffic from the rear. Resulted in a 900 dollar repair as sensor was a part of throttle body that according to dealer had to be replaced. I am questioning that Jaguar can have a car on the road that does not have a backup for this type of failure.

- Knoxville , TN, USA

Dec 152007

XJ8 8-cyl

I was braking into a parking spot at the local bank when without notice my vehicle accelerated wildly. I pressed on the brake with all of my weight as if my life depended on it. The roar of the transmission was like someone was stepping full force on the gas pedal, but my foot was solidly on the brake and not even touching the gas pedal. It was terrifying. I could hardly keep from driving into the side of the bank. If there happened to be someone walking on the sidewalk in front of me, I would have hit them. I wouldn't have been able to avoid it. As it was, the only way I could stop the car from driving forward was to shift the car into park and then turn it off. After waiting a while, I restarted the car cautiously, and drove it home without incident.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Mar 292007

XJ8 8-cyl

The first incident was at a parking lot booth. I had my foot on the break and the engine raised for about ten seconds like if someone was pressing the gas. It sounded like the engine was going to blow up. I had to press the break pedal hard to keep it from moving and hitting the gate. The second incident was approximately 2 weeks later at an intersection. I was stopped at a light with my foot on the break when the engine started raising again like if someone was pressing on the gas. I looked down to see if the rug was on the way. There was nothing pressing on the gas pedal. This time it did not stop by itself; I had to shift gears because it was hard to hold the break. I put it on park and turned off the car. I was able to start the car back on but it would not shift gears. It was towed to the dealership. Rusnak-pasadena kept it for 2 weeks. They replaced the transmission and determined that there was nothing wrong with the car. They suggested I had my foot on both pedals and wanted to give me instructions on how to use one pedal at a time. I drove the car three more times (local driving only). The last time was yesterday afternoon. I was getting out of a parking lot, behind two cars, all of a sudden the engine started to raise again. I placed it in park and the engine stopped raising. I drove the car home and started looking at any other such reports for this car. I found two incidents in your files. One was reported on 01/26/05 (reference #1018965), the other was reported on 09/20/06 (reference #10168741).

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Sep 182006

XJ8 8-cyl

: the contact stated the accelerator and brake pedals were too close together causing accidental and simultaneous depression of both pedals. The dealer was notified. Updated 10/17/2006 - the driver side seat belt buckle failed to engage. A new buckle was ordered. The consumer could not remove the lug nuts from the wheel.

- Ridge, NY, USA