2.4

2004 Kia Amanti engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Kia Amanti:

2004 Kia Amanti Owner Comments

Aug 032012

Amanti

On 6 separate occasions the vehicle has slowed down and "chugged" out of throttle power while initially driving at speeds of anywhere between 35 and 65 mph. If the vehicle does manage to keep driving, it does so in a very jerky way, almost like someone who does not know how to drive stick. I've found that the only way around this jerking is to drive the vehicle in sport-shift mode in a lower gear so that the rpms stay above 3000. Sometimes the vehicle is entirely unresponsive when the gas pedal is pressed, which (multiple times) nearly put me in a severe car accident on busy I-95 in both Florida and philadelphia, pa. The check engine light has only ever remained on once, giving an error code P1614: "enhanced traction system engine control module malfunction." In the past, turning the ignition off and back on immediately has fixed the issue twice. Other times the vehicle needed to remain off for an extended period of time before the problem would clear up. The check engine light came on only 2 of the 6 times the problem has occurred. The first time it came on, it did not remain on although the problem persisted. Currently, the check engine light remains on although the vehicle has been running smoothly since the most recent occurrence of this issue which happened on January 8, 2015. I do believe the problem may be linked to the fuel injectors. I find that adding fuel system cleaner to a full tank of gas every other week helps me avoid having this problem.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Feb 272014

Amanti 6-cyl

Kia Amanti losing power while driving or losing power then accelerating out of control and Kia seems not to be able to fix the problem.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jul 192012

Amanti 6-cyl

My check engine light comes on and my car loses power fast no matter what speed I am going. I put my foot on the gas and the RPM's go up and I am only able to drive at a speed of 20mph. At times my car will drive at a normal speed and the check engine light will be on.its very strange. I've taken it to the dealer and they said that it needed a new catalytic converter. It was replaced under warranty. One week later the same symptoms and another out of pocket expense of over $1,000 and another part. The problem still exists months later. Each time with a different diagnosis by the dealer. My mechanic diagnosed the problem when it first happened with his meter and it read electronic throttle body. I told this to the dealer months ago and thousands of dollars ago.

- Dallas, PA, USA

Jul 162012

Amanti

I was on the highway going out of town and had the cruise control set like I normally do when all of a sudden my car drastically lost speed from 70mph to 45mph on a very busy highway. I had to slowly move over to the far lane in order to make it to a safe place to pull over. I then pulled over shut the car off for about 20 mins and tried to come back home and once again got on the highway when once again I lost power even tho I'm pressing the gas all the way down to the floor and its not even trying to gain power at all. I almost got into 2 accidents on the way home because of the loss of power. I have seen a lot of complaints on this website about the same recurring problems with other Kia Amanti owners and this problem needs to be fixed. This is my only vehicle and I'm scared to drive it. Please can someone give me some answers!!!

- Saint Joseph, MO, USA

May 292012

Amanti 6-cyl

I was slowing down to a red light and the check engine light came on and the car died. I turned the key so I could begin to try to start the vehicle and I noticed the RPM's start revving up and its trying to over-accelerate when I put it in drive. I managed to get it to a safe spot but I was 100% worried it was going to cause an accident or accelerate out of control. It sounds very if not exactly similar to a lot of the other complaints. No codes come up for this issue and it is serious.

- North Fork, CA, USA