2.7

2009 Kia Borrego brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Borrego:

2009 Kia Borrego Owner Comments

Jan 162012

Borrego

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Borrego. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to control. The contact also stated that the brake lights on the passenger's side rear failed intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the tire pressure need to be adjusted and the stop lamp switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V114000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic).the vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,452.

- Lakeview Terrace, CA, USA

Feb 172016

Borrego

This will be the second time an incident of this nature occurred. We have owned this vehicle for less than 2 years. Both times, while driving, multiple lights including ABS, ESC off, emergency brakes, and downhill braking assist come on. Mileage, gear, and speedometer stop working so you have no idea what speed you are traveling suddenly. Vehicle speeds were at about 40 and 45 mph on clear roads. Once the vehicle is stopped, you can only shift to neutral gear or drive and the key can not be removed from the ignition, although the engine can be turned off. The brakes appear to continue working, although both times, I was able to slow the vehicle significantly once I noticed all of the lights on and lack of speedometer. There is no way to reverse the vehicle once this occurs. After the first time this occurred, we were told it was the ABS module. Kia service was unable to diagnose the light codes and had to work directly with Kia over a period of several days to diagnose the vehicle the first time this occurred. It was replaced 1 year and 20 days ago by a Kia dealership and failed again today. Kia service is not able to tell us if the ABS module should fail repeatedly or what would cause it to fail repeatedly.

- Conneautville, PA, USA

Feb 242015

Borrego 6-cyl

On the 23 of February I noticed all the lights on in dash, check engine, ESC, brake light ect. Was not able to put the car in park to shut it off. I did notice when driving, coming to a complete stop applying the brake, all the lights go off except the check engine light and it also acknowledge what gear I was in, therefore I was able to put the car into park and shut down the engine. Multiple times I have to unlock the shift manually. Took it to the dealership and was told it was the ABS module needing replaced.. I don't believe I should be paying 2000 for a part that I don't believe it needs. I believe it is the brake light stop switch which was replaced after a recall. This should be again recalled as a default, if it is the ABS module, then it should be recalled as well, this is a safety issue as much as this is happening. Im very frustrated with all we have to go through to get a solid answerer. And would appreciate a reply.

- Duncan Falls , OH, USA

Nov 142014

Borrego 6-cyl

On Friday, 14 November 2014 I was driving to the va hospital at great naval base, Illinois in my 2009 Kia Borrego when the ESC light came on. At that time, L I was driving in the I-294 (highway) at the 55 miles speed with the cruise control on, suddenly the vehicle in front of me reduced the speed and when I applied the brakes to reduce the cruise control did not disengaged almost causing me to have an accident. I called the same date the Kia dealer at ed napleton Kia in elmhurst, il, make an appointment and brought it in on 18 Nov 14 at 10:30 supposedly the vehicle was fixed and I was charged $320.94 for a switch assy- brake and labor. Today, 24 November 2014 I was driving again in the same highway before mentioned and almost had another accident due to the same issue. I went to the dealer to talk to the maintenance personnel and I asked for the manager. The manager came out I explained him the situation and he send a mechanic to test drive with me the vehicle and I showed him the ESC light on and explained him that the vehicle continue with the same issues that had before. He replied that first they had to change the brake switch to see if that will fixed the issue but now I must change the brake module which is $1,500 dollars the part and about $800 dollars in labor. The dealer personnel and the manager never let me that this issue was a recall and I was charged for it. In addition, the mechanical/safety issue was not fixed.

- Bensenville, IL, USA

Mar 112014

Borrego 6-cyl

While driving at 60 miles an hour suddenly ABS, vehicle stability icon, break icon, engine icon, cruise control turned on and speedometer failed and showed speed of zero while I am still going at same speed of 60. Few seconds later all icons disappeared as I prepared to stop so I kept driving till destination. Once car was turned on again at destination, above icons came on, had car towed to Kia dealership. Main electronic control module failed and was replaced without charge by Kia. Not clear what might have caused total failure of main ECM.

- Middleburg Heights, OH, USA