2011 Kia Forte brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Forte:

2011 Kia Forte Owner Comments

Oct 282015

Took my 2011 Kia Forte into the Kia dealership today because the engine is making a ticking sound. I have had two other mechanics in recent weeks tell me it is a serious problem with the lifters and/or the pistons inside the engine. The Kia mechanic refuses to acknowledge there is a ticking sound, but in formed me the air bag sensor is malfunctioning and I will have to pay $1100 to have the air bag sensor repaired before I can sell the car. Also, my brakes will occasionally make a very loud 'thump' when I apply them, but the Kia dealer can find nothing wrong with them.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 062015

Car would not come out of park. I had no idea at the time what the issue could be because in the Kia owners manual it does not state that once the brake lights go out, you can not take it out of park. Car would not go into gear until I used the shift lock release to take it out of gear. Drove it home and found a blown fuze (brake light fuse).. replaced it and drove fine (while it was doing this the electrical suspension light came on also). Fast forward 7 days, was driving out of town and the suspension light came on while driving down the expressway and I knew then the issue was back. Sure enough. Had to take it to a Kia dealership out of town.. they replaced my fuze, brake light bulb and brake light assembly switch. Fast forward a week and a half and the problem is back... Kia is telling me over $1000 and I'm not going to be guaranteed that this will fix the problem. I'm a single mother and purchased this car because I felt it would be a safe car for me and my son and now I'm stuck with a car that is not safe... no brake lights are seriously not safe at all!!!

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Aug 222014

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Forte. The contact stated that while reversing, the brakes failed to respond and the contact to crashed into a light post. The vehicle then accelerated forward and crashed into a building. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Manlius, NY, USA

Apr 252014

I was hit from behind in my 2011 Kia Forte at 70 mph while I was at a complete stop. My brakes did not work at all for me to stop on the road before I was pushed into an 8ft deep ditch, into big branches and my car then bounced through a huge field. My air bags did not deploy as they should have, the front of my car is dented in from the impact of the ditch and then the seatbeat did not lock up, it threw me into the steering wheel. I am very unhappy about this. This is the 3rd time I have personally heard about the airbags not deploying in a Kia and the seat belt not locking up.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Apr 102013

Living only 3.7 miles from my work I drive to work 2 times daily, mon- fri, round trip. I come home for my lunch hour. Never being able to drive faster than 20-30 mph due to the roads & busyness of them during that time I had never had a problem before. I had noticed prior to my accident that at times my 6 speed 2011 Kia Forte koup was very resistant to put it into 1st gear. Almost as if it was locking the shifter out. Having it looked at by a Kia dealership, they claimed it was just "user error"...perhaps my foot wasn't pressed all the way down on the clutch or B/C I'm a woman? this was not my first manual car! so as I left my house for work after lunch I noticed that every time I upshifted my car did this jerking thing, almost as if the brakes were working when they shouldn't have been. I told myself when I get to work (in 8 mins) I would call my brother who is a mechanic. I didn't get my car to work safely. I ended up rear ending a truck who rolled forward into a new camaro, everyone was ok thank god! as I approached the stop light w/3 cars stopped at the red light already. I proceeded to slow down.3 miles from the light & it seemed as if it was slowing down in slow motion. When I realized my brakes weren't actually slowing the car down from 28mph, I did everything I could to stop by car before crashing. I tried down shifting as well as slamming down on the brakes. It was as if my brakes were non existent. If I had time left I would have yanked up on the E brake...I was only 1.2 miles from my work! no airbags went off nor was my car totaled. I paid cash for this car in 2011 & since having wrecked I've felt it was not safe for my family to drive. After fixing the repairs & paying my deductible I traded the car in. I purchased a brand new car which I now have a car payment on. I hope that this issue can be discovered & resolved before it hurts anyone severely.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA