2011 Kia Forte drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Forte:

2011 Kia Forte Owner Comments

Jul 242016

On 7/24 my 21 year old daughter was driving on a side street when the car began to accelerate on it's own. She applied the brakes (with both feet) and the car would not stop accelerating. She ended up colliding with a wall which disconnected the power and the car stopped about 50 feet from point of impact.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 062016

My 2011 Kia Forte stalls randomly while I drive it. This has happened multiple times in multiple driving situations. Two incidents happened while I was in rush hour traffic on highway 805 South in san diego California. Another incident happened while I was crossing railroad tracks leaving the marriott hotel in downtown san diego (in this instance, I had to coast the car off of the tracks -fortunately no train was coming at that time). In describing my experiences in one of these incidents, I offer the following description: On June 6, 2016, while in rush hour traffic on highway 805 in san diego California, the car just stalled. When pressing the accelerator, the motor would rev but there was no response. I had to shut the car off and restart it. Fortunately, I was able to get it started and drive to safety. Please note that I have repeatedly brought the car to the local Kia dealership in an attempt to solve the problem. They have been unable to solve the problem (yet they have charged me for services rendered). I filed my complaint with Kia corporate consumer assistance. They have asked me to bring the car into the dealership for "escalated services" three different times. Each time I think the car is repaired, then I experience another incident. The latest incident happened two weeks after my latest visit to the dealership. My wife was driving the car in downtown san diego on the night of July 8 2016. The car stalled again! my family and I feel like we are in constant danger driving this car. Yet, we need this car in conducting our family affairs. Kia corporate cannot solve this problem and we do not know how best to proceed. We feel that our safety is at stake and we are hoping that this situation can be resolved before any harm come to our family or to others experiencing similar problems. I can obtain repair documents, but I do not have them at this moment.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Nov 012014

I bought a 2011 Kia Forte and was having issues where the car seemed like it was dying after initial starting of the vehicle and sometimes wouldn't go into gear. After driving it seems to correct itself and I brought it into Kia. They put it under a specific claim number incase the warranty went out it is still covered. A few months later the car started to not go into gear even more and issue of dying seems more prevalent. Now Kia is trying to say it could be a number of things which are not covered because the warranty is up from factory, and the extended warranty they claim doesn't cover powertrain which last time I checked powertrain includes shifter/gear shifter. They are now refusing to fix the issue because they have no clue what the actual problem is but have seen the issue first hand. This car has less than 70,000 miles and 70% of the time you cant put it into gear. This is a major safety concern since it could pop into any gear it wanted to and if I am doing 70 mph and it decides to go into park it wont be a fun ride.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Feb 152012

Tran. Wentout still not working.

- Romulus, OH, USA

Oct 152013

Forte 4-cyl

While driving and attempting to gain speed to enter the interstate highway in san antonio Texas the transmission would not change gears and had to pull over. I then had the vehicle towed to a Kia dealership 10 miles away. I am awaiting a call from them regarding repairs.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 132012

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Forte. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 to 45 mph, the vehicle lost power and the odometer read 40 mph. The vehicle would not accelerate or reverse. There were no warning lights illuminated during or after the failure. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to have a diagnostic test performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 24,000.

- Lowell , MA, USA

Jul 232011

When going 60 on the highway the car suddenly dropped down to 40 and I had to pull off the highway. Car was then taken to the dealership where the whole transmission was replaced. Upon recieving the car again it would jerk and stall when accelerating. Car was then taken back to the dealer and a "relearn" of the transmission was performed. This has not stopped the problem and has made it worse. It now jerks when stopping and when accelerating and peeds of 5 mi/hr or more. As well as when first shifting the car out of park.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Mar 092012

Was driving at normal highway speeds felt this sudden jerk (like I had been hit from behind) and the car would not go. When I got pulled over I placed it in park and then back into drive it would not pull forward. Tried to put into the manual shift side and it would not do anything there either.

- Spencer, VA, USA

Jun 202011

Car will not shifting correctly under manual.

- San Jose, CA, USA