2012 Kia Forte body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Forte:

2012 Kia Forte Owner Comments

Mar 072016

I rear-end a SUV at 50 miles per hour, hit my nose and mouth on the steering wheel. The front end is severely damage, the engine caught fire, fluids were leaking but neither air bag deployed.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Feb 012013

The first time it happened I was driving around 45mph and I hit a bump on the road and all of the sudden rear hatch warning light came on and after I pulled over and checked the rear hatch and it had come open were it was ajar but the hatch hasn't been used in a couple days. The second time a few weeks later the same thing I hit a bump and the warning light came on and this time I went to the dealership and they just told me to close it harder and I have closed it how I was showed ever since, but it still happens about once a month after I went to the dealership.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jan 022014

300 miles after complaining to dealer of slipping floor mat stopping braking and random high acceleration-a real accident occurred against a barrier in a parking garage. Mats flip far more that Audi and Toyota recalls. Entire car damaged by previous acceleration(random) or brakes not working due to mats. The parking garage incident occurred at 15 mph and square head on to cement barrier severely damaging bumper, hood, fenders, grill, headlights and interior engine. I injured both arms and skin abrasions on chest-due to airbag not deploying-similar to recent recalls. Dealer response was that floor mats always give away from wear and tear at 17K miles without warning-causing me near fatal other accidents.

- Kirkwood, MO, USA

Dec 152012

Forte 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Forte. The contact noticed condensation under the front driver's side floor mat. In addition, there was an accumulation of water on the front driver's side floor area. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer two times for the problem. The technician was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was scheduled for diagnosis by a water specialist. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 150.... updated 02/28/13

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Sep 272012

We were driving our 2012 Kia Forte ex (sedan) which we had purchased brand new in December 2011 to the store to get bread and were on our way home (only about 2 minutes into the drive) when we saw smoke coming from the front of the car. We pulled over within about 50 feet of seeing it, put it in park- which by the time we did so, we lost all power and couldn't even get the key out of the ignition. We got out and my boyfriend tried to pop the hood but it was already so hot he couldn't do it... I ran about 20 feet away for safety reasons, so I am not sure where it started, but within about 30 seconds, the flames came out of the sides and front of the hood. My boyfriend thinks it was about where the fuse box is, because that is where he noticed the paint start to bubble off. He is a mechanic and has never seen anything like it. The entire front of the car, through the dash is disintegrated. My airbags melted and poured out of the dash and roof, upholstery melted off the seats, and door panels bubbled up. All the speakers blew and melted. It happened so quickly, if I had kids in the back or couldn't have pulled over in time, there could have been very serious injuries or deaths. I am very thankful it didn't happen on my way to work, as I drive in traffic on a highway with no shoulder. I had no electronic modifications. It was entirely stock, with the exception of window tint, exhaust, a lowering kit, and aftermarket tires and wheels--all which were installed by professionals. The car had 8900 miles on it and all maintenance work had been done. Even 3 oil changes- even though Kia claims the car can go 7K without one. My insurance company is going to treat it as a total loss and do an investigation on it. Kia has a case going but have not yet sent an engineer out.

- Algona, WA, USA