2013 Kia Forte drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Forte:

2013 Kia Forte Owner Comments

Feb 022016

Forte

I am the original owner of my 2013 Kia Forte ex, the vehicle roughly has 70,000 miles on it. The vehicle has always been properly maintained via oil changes, filters, etc on time with quality name brand fully synthetic oil and filters per the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule which is every 7500 miles. I was driving my vehicle home on a very busy freeway on the East coast. I was in the center lane of 5 lanes on the South bound side and all of a sudden my car lost all power and was slowing down at an unsafe rate of speed because I had no power and did not want to touch the brakes obviously. I panicked but was able to put my right signal on to try and get to the shoulder of the freeway I continued to panic because my car was steady slowing and eventually would come to a stop because I had no power, the gas pedal would not function and I knew the car shut down because all the lights were on on the dash as if you were starting the car. Thankfully someone was watching over me that day and I made it to the shoulder before the car rolled to a complete stop. If I were unable to safely move over two lanes and make it to the shoulder on momentum I would have been stopped in a lane of travel on a busy freeway and what would I have done? I probably would have caused and been part of a major accident, even though I did make it to the shoulder I was still panicking because this is a very busy freeway and I felt helpless. The car would not start it would make a funky noise and that's it but would never start so I was stranded. I looked in my owners manual and called Kia, the dealership was 10 minutes from my location. I was told there was nothing they could do because they didn't have a tow truck and I was on my own. I had the car towed there and was told the engine blew up and it was the bottom end. I believe it was in the timing system and Kia is lying.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Jan 232015

Forte

The contact owns a 2013 Kia Forte. The contact stated that immediately after parking and attempting to remove the keys from the ignition, the shift lever rolled out of park into reverse. The vehicle ran over the contact and proceeded to roll into the contact's yard. The vehicle then struck a couple of trees and came to a stop in the contact's neighbors yard. It was unknown if the contact sustained any injuries or if a police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Hiram , GA, USA

Oct 292014

Forte 4-cyl

10/21/2014 I purchased a 2013 Kia Forte with about 21, 620 miles on it and this particular unit work like a champion but it is defective and just without warning won't turn on. I had the same issue five to seven times already in two months. I recorded five times, 10/29/2014, 11/12/2014, 12/02/2014, 12/16/2014, and 01/06/2014. The dealer worked on the vehicle for the 12/02 & 12/16 incidents but find the vehicle working fine and I returned the vehicle to service department on 01/08/2015. I want my money back. It is unreliable and it might be a hazardous condition, the vehicle just die on me and won't turn on. The dealer replaced the starter. However, the consumer continued to experience problems. Updated 10/29/15.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 272014

Forte

I bought the car a year after it was released and it seems to jerk at high speeds when going over minor bumps in the road. Also shakes when riding through high winds. It seems extremely light weight and is hard to control if there is strong winds(15mph) present which extremely nerve wracking especially traveling long distances, or with my children, or on the highway. The jerking should not be occurring for minor bumps on the road, makes me feel the car is unsafe.

- Fairview Heights, IL, USA