2014 Kia Forte brakes NHTSA complaints: Service Brakes

NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2014 Kia Forte brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Forte:

2014 Kia Forte Owner Comments

Nov 212016

Forte

Takata recall needs to recall the breaks on the 2014 Kia Forte. On novemeber 21st 2016 I totalled my Kia due to failure of manafacurer breaks they didnt stop me and I rear ended a car which hot another that hit another. The speed control on the car is very hard to control I bearly push on fhe gas and it zoomed off T went from 0-30 really quick. Durring the wreck I was going approximately 25-30 mph which when I hit the car due to the breaks failing my car bouced off of it and the airbags never deployed. The road was dry it was dark outside ot was 5:58 am and very clear outside. The roads were very dry not slick at alll my car jolted as the breaks tried to stop me but they never atopped me. It was on a back road heading to take my husband to work.

- Forthood, TX, USA

Oct 082016

Forte

Tire pressure light constantly goes on and off, car continually gets stuck in park and while driving dash doesn't show gears. Brought to deal provided pictures as proof and was told they could not duplicate problem. Asked for paperwork and they said they would mail it never received paperwork.

- Watertown, NY, USA

Feb 182015

Forte 4-cyl

When at highway speeds I pressed the brake pedal and the car violently shook. The dealership decided to resurface my brand new rotors, only 700 miles on the car, rather than replace. I am scared to drive the car now.

- Independence, MO, USA

Jul 262014

Forte

Kia Forte ex 2014 ESC light came on and my brake lights wont light up when stepping on the brake. The brake pedal feels stiff when braking to a stop. Checked all plugs and bulbs and they all are good, called dealer and was told it might be the brake light switch and will take me in on Monday.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Mar 152014

Forte 4-cyl

Turned onto a fairly narrow street with cars parked on both sides; I was driving down the middle of street until I passed all parked cars; attempted to move back into my lane and steering wheel froze and started jerking; I was headed toward a stop sign pole; I jumped the curb and scrapped right from bumper and tire rim; ignition shut off. Took car to dealer; they kept it for testing and inspection for about 2 weeks and found nothing; we wanted to exchange it but they refused since they did not find anything mechanically wrong with it; we took car back and it has been driving well so far but incident is still in the back of our minds every time we drive it. Updated 10/1/2014

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 262014

Forte 4-cyl

On two occasions I have smelled gas when starting the vehicle. The date above is the second time. The first was after the car had been parked for 3-4 days after a snow storm in late 2013. The brakes vibrate when stopping on a rough surface. Kia Consumer Affairs attributes this to the design of the anti-lock system and apparently does not consider it a problem. On one occasion - again during a period of cold weather in late 2013 - the gears ground when turning at maximum rotation to parallel park the car in a tight spot, a common occurrence in the urban area where I live. Unlike the braking and gas-leak problem, this only happened once. Due to an issue with possible odometer tampering I have not taken the car to a dealer to address the other problems for fear they will try to mask evidence other than the scratch on the driver door.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA