2004 Kia Optima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Kia Optima:

2004 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Nov 152005

I purchased a new Kia Optima in 2004. In 2005 the rear passenger tire smelled like burnt rubber. I took the car into dorschel automotive group. They stated that the brakes needed grease and I was all set. The rear brake continued to smell like smoke intermittently and shrugged it off due to lubricants. In 2007 I complained of the problem of smell of smoke and a sound of medal on medal everytime I made a turn. Dorschel inspected the brakes and stated I needed new rotors and new brake pads in the rear. The car only had 14,230 miles on it. We argued that a car with such low mileage should not have a break job done so soon. Dorschel did not offer any assistance and basically stated they have customers waiting. We reluctantly did the brake job in order to pass inspection. However, we asked for the parts. Under inspection of the original brakes, the brakes separated and the pads do not look worn. We called Kia to file a complaint. We received a case number K1384334. Kia claims this is occurring due to the car sitting. We stated to Kia that the car is on the road on a daily basis in all types of weather. Kia stated it is our fault, closed the case, and did not resolve the brake issue. We let this issue go, until recently. We took the car back in for the same problem of smoking brakes and medal on medal sound, but this time we took it to vision Kia. Again, I contacted Kia about the same brake issue to have them work directly with vision Kia to see if Kia truly has a defect in it's parts. Vision Kia is stating that I need front and back brake jobs. Again, Kia is stating this is our issue because the car is sitting. Again I explained to Kia that the car is on the road on a daily basis. The car has 21,417 miles. There are cars that are older than my car with low mileage that never had to have brake jobs done. I believe the issue is that the Kia genuine parts are of poor quality. With the brake pads separating, I believe to be a danger of brake failure.

- Rochester, NY, USA