2.5

2012 Kia Optima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Optima:

2012 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Oct 132016

Optima

High pressure fuel pump went out. After contacting dealer for part, I was told they keep them in stock because it was a common problem. The cost was $689 plus labor.

- Mooresburg, TN, USA

Aug 282016

Optima

The care staled at low speed pulled over side of road and smoke was coming from engine, opened the hood and fire had started at front top of engine under the air cleaner, some ware, has not been determined what caused it.

- Grants Pass, OR, USA

Jul 302016

Optima

2012 Kia Optima caught fire while driving 45 mph & was unable to accelerate/break. Recently was taken for service with no items that would cause the issue...updated 10/04/16

- Hampton Cove, AL, USA

Mar 102016

Optima

"takata recall" I have a rather new Kia Optima. At 70,000 miles my high pressure fuel pump completely went out. This affected my ability to start the car and accelerate as it ws very hesitant and shaky. The car was stationary when I realized the problem. I was attempting to start the car and realized that it took a very long time to start. After realizing this, I immediately took my car to a mechanic to have it inspected and told that the high pressure fuel pump went out. I asked how it happened and he informed me that it had nothing to do with my driving and that it is very likely the product of a faulty fuel pump because that usually doesn't happen with a car with only 70,000 miles on it.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Feb 202016

Optima

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Optima. When starting the vehicle, it had a hard start. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle began to lose acceleration and the pedal stiffened. The vehicle was towed to a local independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump failed and needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Madera, CA, USA

Jan 142016

Optima

Im having intermittent electrical and suspension problems along with sudden increases of power increase and decreases. I was driving to my local mall before my evening class and noticed my car radio and instrument cluster where not operating no lights but car was running fine. I hit the brakes while coming to a stop light in a busy intersection hit a small bump the car decided to accelerate and it felt as if the suspension was loose on the left front side I heard it rattle now this bump wasn't big by any means as I hit the break I could feel the brakes fight with the engine the brake pedal also shook at my feet. I quickly put the Kia in neutral and shut the car off still at the light. Put it in park and restarted my car all light and instrument cluster came on along with radio.my Optima felt ok. But later I went to class got into my car and she wouldn't turn over I had to press on the gas to get it to start. I took it to the dealer they said they couldn't find anything besides my high temp fuel pump was giving low pressure codes. I only have 80K on this vehicle but Kia said they will not cover it. This a serious safety issue why if my kids where in the car and I did get into a serious accident with them. This needs to be addressed. Something needs to be done before there is a death no after the fact.

- Barnstable, MA, USA

Jun 052013

Optima

While driving my 2012 Kia Optima sx T gdi I lost accelerations on the highway. I was driving at 55 mph because the car wouldn't accelerate, but it did decrease in speed to a dangerous 20 mph. I tried to use my paddle shifters in hopes that would work, to no avail. I depressed the gas pedal to the floor and the speed did not change. I eventually reached a safe place and shut the car off, waited several minutes and attempted re-starting the car. The car sputtered and paused before eventually starting, then allowed me to drive approximately 100 yards before having the same decreased speed situation again. I was fortunate to drive home at 45 mph and avoid being run off the rode or rear ended by another vehicle or worse... a truck. The next morning I took the car to the dealership and after a diagnostic was informed that the fuel pressure sensor needed to be replaced. Not such bad news but I was shocked that the price quoted to me, by the service manager, is $900. Unbelievable!!! I searched all over the internet and found all the parts that are related to this type issue and nothing, not one part, cost $900. The proposed cost to repair my car is greater than the car payment. As a matter of fact, it cost more than the car payment for my wife's ML500. I have visited Kia forums that speak to problems with the Kia and it seems that a manufacturer is in order. Incidentally, the part is no longer covered by the warranty because I recently passed the 60,000 mile mark. I feel like I am being ripped off to have the car repaired for what will be less than an hour of work to replaced a minor part, that incidentally has a cost of $900. I will be willing to provide any other additional information related to my experience with my 2012 Kia Optima. I should be purchased and Audi.

- Penryn, CA, USA

Oct 062012

Optima

Gas pedal would not work. Avis puts rubber floor mats over cloth floor mats that have hooks embedded in time to hold the factory floor mats in place. I did not know they had did this. Over the course of several hours of driving the rubber floor mat slid forward under the gas pedal rendering it inoperable; I coasted over to side of road and discovered the problem, pulled the rubber floormat back towards the front seat and it happened a 2nd time a few hours later where I lost complete use of the gas pedal so I put the rubber mats in the trunk. I reported this to avis. An avis rep says this is a standard corporate policy so they can save wear on the cloth rug style floor mats. I asked them to reexamine their corporate policy. I hope your Agency can review this practice and make a recommendation to avis. With all the issue surrounding car accelerator pedals and after market floor mats jamming them it seems they have taken leave of common sense.

- Southington, CT, USA

Jul 042012

Optima 4-cyl

For 3 to 5 seconds, no response from engine at idle when accelerator depressed and the car is stopped (e.g., for traffic signal). Then, without warning, the engine went from idle (about 800 RPM) to rapid (surging) acceleration, often with screeching tires. This occurred each time I started from a stopped position during a 493-mile trip. There was no problem after I reached my target driving speed.

- Brunswick, MD, USA