2012 Kia Optima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Optima:

2012 Kia Optima Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jan 062012

Upon the purchase of my 2012 Kia Optima sx I noticed a pull to the left in the steering wheel. The dealership is approx. 80 miles from my home, driving home I noticed the tug and the car's inclination to veer left. I felt a constant pressure on the wheel to veer. I took the car back within a week or two and had the service dept. Check the veer. Of course, I was told there is no veer. The car continues to stray, now at 3500 miles. The car will be going in for service next week for the same problem and for maintenance. I have spoken to another dealership's salesman who has confirmed for me there is a definite issue with the Optima's steering and to date, they don't know what to do with it. I love this car, I absolutely love it, but the pull is a problem. By the time I drive the car at cruise speed on the highway and get back with it, I literally feel tired in the arm and shoulder from the pressure to keep it straight in the lanes. Also, lately at approx. 3000 miles, I've noticed that in reverse, the backup camera doesn't always come on when shifting gears. It has a hesitation that has lasted as long as 30 - 40 seconds before I can see behind the car. Anyone who has driven the Optima knows, you can't see anything behind you in that car due to the low sitting seats and higher trunk - it has to be tall to see it behind you. I'm taking the car to a different dealership for service next time, from there, I'll decide as to what happens next as far as keeping this car.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Feb 202012

Steering pulls to the left. I have to always correct. Many times I end up over correcting when going through a curve. I made several attempts to correct the tire pressure. Tire pressure was 42 psi when I drove it off the lot. I brought it down to 38 psi and seemed to help a little. I finally took all four tires down to 35 psi, and almost drove it off the road while going through a right curve at 50 mph. By the way, the speed limit was 50 mph. The freeway is also an issue. Always having to correct the steering bouncing back and forth between the lane lines. This is very dangerous, and should be looked into by the NHTSA. Having to over correct is not fun situation to be in. I drove many high performance vehicles, and this is the most concerning. Beautiful car with tons of potential. Steering needs fixed!!!!!!!!

- Sagamore Hills, OH, USA

Jan 172012

Optima 4-cyl

I purchased a 2012 Kia Optima on 1-13-12 and immediately discovered it pulled to the left. The dealer has admitted they do not know how to fix it and today (2-5-2012) the dealer bought it back. I lost $5,000 by selling it back but I am just glad to not have to drive the car any more. Kia should have to fix this problem or buy the cars back at the selling price. The customer should not be stuck with an unsafe vehicle or forced to drive it to avoid the loss. This pull left issue is well documented on the Kia forum site. I just wish I had checked that site before buying.

- Mosinee, WI, USA