2015 Kia Optima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Kia Optima:

2015 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Apr 152016

I noticed while driving at highway speeds that you have to fight to keep it on the road. It veers to the left and when corrected, then veers to the right, this continues as long as you are driving at highway speeds between 50 and 75 miles an hour. When you slow down the car feels loose and sways easily from left to right.

- Deming, NM, USA

Nov 252015

There is a major issue with the steering of the car when it gets to 45mph and higher. The steering wheel locks at the 12:00 position and takes a good amount of force to jerk it out of position which results in the car jerking at least 2' to the side you have to jerk it every time. You can't drive it like a normal car and it's not safe on the highway. We have taken it into Kia multiple times to have this issue resolved and they claim that there is nothing wrong and can't fix the problem. Corporate even claims that there is no issue with the car and it is acting "normally". it is not the way we bought the car and I don't feel safe letting my wife drive her car with my 2 year old in it on the highway.

- St Augustine, FL, USA

Aug 292015

The streering will pull to either side especially at 55mph or better. Made several call to the dealer in media and they don't seem to want to do anything about the problem. Took the car in for maintenance in bedford Ohio and the claimed there is no problem,

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 152015

The contact owns a 2015 Kia Optima. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle was unable to steer. All the warning indicators illuminated. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Columbia, NC, USA

Sep 072015

When driving our 2015 Kia Optima with 900 miles vehicle was in garage except for small trips around town but on a small vacation trip, I noticed the steering was not stable and it was hard to control the steering and keeping my vehicle straight at 60 mph or more. I noticed it would go left then I would correct it then it would go right. Very unstable to control had to keep both hands controlling the steering wheel. I hope some one looks into this Kia problem because I am taking my vehicle to get it repaired hopefully! this issue is dangerous for people who don't pay attention on there vehicle when driving and could cause major accidents because I am experience driving instructor, I could tell it is a problem. I hope someone looks into this issue a.S.a.P. thanks robert burrola

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 102015

When driving the vehicle would pull to the right or pull to the left. Then when I drove on the highway at faster speeds I had to keep both hands on the steering wheel to keep control of the car. I had to constantly fight with the steering to keep the car going straight. There were times when the car would just veer to the left and after pulling it back straight it would go left again. You never knew which direction the car would go. It is a constant battle with the steering.

- Beltsville, MD, USA

Mar 012015

Cannot control the car steering. Unsafe at high speeds. Wind is also a factor, moving the car from left to right and no control over the steering. Cannot change lanes without loosing control. Very unsafe and stressful to drive.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Mar 052015

Optima 4-cyl

The car is unable to keep a straight course without constantly steering corrections. Eyes can't be taken off the road even to look at the rearview mirror. It will go from one side of the road to the other with any minor bump or even on a very flat surface. Wiggling of the steering is the only way to keep it on a straight line but eyes have to be on the road 100%. extremely dangerous on any road but specially on a two-lane road. Accidents including head-on collision are sure to happen. Kia is not doing much/anything about it. Car is only 1500 miles now.

- St. Cloud, FL, USA

Aug 292014

The contact owns a 2015 Kia Optima. The contact stated that the steering wheel swung from side to side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer eight times and the steering column was replaced each time. The remedy failed to correct the failure. The manufacturer stated that they would no longer attempt to correct the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- Atwater, CA, USA

Feb 012014

Optima 4-cyl

This is a know problem, but steering control is really bad. As I am going down the road, (worse as speed increases) the car wanders left to right with no middle ground. So it is not an alignment issue as I am all over and not just pulling to one side. I have to keep arms locked on steering wheel to try to keep going straight and still just isn't enough. Dealer says that's what Kia do.this is a serious concern, as serious accidents will cone from this and the maker does nothing about it. Looking in rear or side view mirror for a second and I can be on the verge of the lane next to me. What worries me most is I see this has been an issue for many previous model years and no one has done a thing about it. I love the Kia Optima but had I known about this problem I would have never fault for lack of research, however you would think the manufacturer would fix an issue that's been around for quite some time. This has to be fixed already.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Sep 152014

The contact owns a 2015 Kia Optima. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle drifted without warning. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100. Updated 01/21/15

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Oct 162014

Optima 4-cyl

As the first owner of the car, I have experienced steering issues that could be described as feeling as if the steering does not properly center. I constantly have to make steering adjustments to the left and right to keep the car going straight down the road. The issue becomes more pronounced as the vehicle speed increases. This results in a feeling of lack of safety at highway speeds, especially in moderate - high traffic situations or on narrow roads. I informed the maintenance department at the dealership from which I purchased the car about this issue. A maintenance technician took the vehicle to a drive and agreed that the car had a problem with the steering. The dealership then contacted the Kia consumer assistance center who eventually decided that the car was operating normally. Kia consumer assistance center then contacted me to inform me of this. I chose not to accept that this should be "normal" and escalated the issue. Kia motors America then contacted me directly to offer to have a district manager drive the car to observe the steering issue.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA