2009 Kia Rondo steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Rondo:

2009 Kia Rondo Owner Comments

Aug 312016

Rondo

2009 Kia Rondo - 115,000 miles. For the past 2-3 months, the steering locks up when I go through rain puddles, first making a loud noise underneath, then loosing power. Two lights appear on the dashboard. I have found if I turn off the air conditioner, the problem corrects itself. This has to be associated with the air conditioner or air compressor. We just went through tropical storm hermine and this was a constant problem. Something needs to be done by the dealer - such as a recall to get this fixed before the car crashes and I have no control.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Nov 012013

Rondo

Since I purchased the car at the Kia dealership in nc - it was raining and I drover over a puddle of water, I was making a right turn in the process and all lights turned on on dash - it slowed my car down almost turned off. Airbag light turned on (still on). Car turned back on but everytime it rains - I am afraid because my car stalls and it stops depending on the amount of water. This is dangerous especially if I am on the highway. I called the Kia shop and they find nothing wrong with my car and I have to pay to get the airbag light fixed. I don't think I should pay for something that I did not break. Since I have had my car - it has done the above at least 4 times and the airbag light is still on.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 192015

Rondo

Lost power steering after going through a puddle today during a rainstorm. I was going about 25mph when I stopped at a stop sign the attempt to turn right onto a curved right uphill. It lasted a few seconds a charger light went on but that also lasted a few seconds.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Nov 112015

Rondo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rondo. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. Updated 1/15/16

- Dansville, NY, USA

Jun 082015

Rondo

In October 2014, my car lost power steering when going through puddles. I got the alternator belt replaced and it seemed to fix the problem. In June 2015, it occurred again. I took it to lokey Kia in clearwater, fl to fix the problem (along with an air bag issue problem) and they diagnosed it as an ac compressor problem (they did not replicate the problem) and the air bag issue was due to the clock spring. I did not have it repaired that day and came home and reported it on this website. I got a call from Kia Corp. Office of product liability saying that they called because of my complaint here. (I only reported the power steering problem here, not the air bag issue.) in the end, Kia paid to have the air bag problem fixed and not the power steering claiming that the airbag issue was a "safety" issue and they were repairing it for free in "goodwill." They would not repair for free or reduce the cost of the power steering problem because it was not a "safety" issue and the problem I originally reported here!! how is losing my power steering not a "safety" issue? I am terrified to drive my car in the rain, especially with my grandkids in the car.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Rondo

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rondo. While driving at approximately 5 mph through a puddle of water, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the power steering belt failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Apr 042015

Rondo

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rondo. Whenever the vehicle drives through water and has a splash, the battery light illuminates and the power steering fails for a few minutes. Initially, the contact thought the failures were caused by heavy rain and large bodies of water; however, they occurred any time the vehicle went through water. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Feb 182015

Rondo

While driving 30 mph, through a puddle, the car lost all ability to steer. Power felt as if it shut off for approximately 1 minute. Not the first time this has happened. Can you please investigate or do recall for whatever parts need to be replaced"?"

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 012014

Rondo

When conditions are wet, power steering freezes up. Dangerous. Took to dealer, everything is fine, but it is still doing it. What is the resolution? there should be a recall.

- Pleasant Plains, IL, USA

Nov 232014

Rondo

Every time I went through a puddle today the parking brake/brake fluid light and the charging system warning light would come on. It also lost power steering while this happened. It lasted only a few moments but with traffic and kids in the back, a few moments is long enough. This happened with every puddle and even on the freeway when water splashed underneath!!

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 262014

Rondo

When I am driving and I hit water or slush on the road way at times my car will loss all power steering and breaking and the lights for the battery and other systems lights come on. It sometimes last for 10 second to 20 seconds. This cause my car to be unsafe for driving because all at one time you lose so much control.

- Garfield Heights, OH, USA

Apr 022014

Rondo 4-cyl

2009 Kia Rondo has power steering and alternator failure during rain storms. The vehicle completely loses power steering, the brake and battery lights appear on the dashboard, and car sometimes shuts off. The car will restart, but makes a high-pitched screeching noise temporarily. It seems to happen mostly when the car is turning. I have not been in an accident yet, but it worries me to drive it in the rain (it even does it sometimes when driving through a puddle). I've seen many complaints about this on different forums, including Kia.com forums. A couple links are listed below: www.Kia-forums.com/Kia-carens-Rondo-forum/82332-power-steering-failure-wet-conditions-Kia.html it is surprising that there has not been a recall of any type on this problem. Please look into this.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Apr 072014

Rondo

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rondo. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph during inclement conditions, the vehicle lost power steering and the brakes failed. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was not available.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Apr 142014

Rondo

Everytime it rains or I go over a puddle my power steering locks up on me and I cant move the steering wheel. I have read so many stories of this happening to other Rondos like mine.. why has this not been recalled yet"?" I almost get in a wreck everytime it rains!! this is absolutely crazy that it has not had a recall yet!!!!

- Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 152012

Rondo 4-cyl

This started on 10/2012, and has been happening whenever I tried to drive in rain since. Ive had to wait to try to see what is wrong because I couldnt afford to do anything about it. It was raining outside and I left my home to go to the store and went to turn the corner and there was a very loud grinding noise and the steering wheel froze, just completely seized on me and I drove right into the curb opposite the road. I had a child in the car with me and it was terrifying! now, I cannot drive at all in the rain or even if there's puddles on the road! I see that there's others that have had this same issue, even some having wrecks on the freeway! why isnt this a recall issue!? it is hurricane season here, and its been near impossible to make an appointment at the dealer with all the rain every day, nor do they allow you to just drop off your car and leave it unless its towed in which I cannot do. I am terrified to drive my own car and dont have a lot of money to fix it since im on disability. Please help

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Jan 152013

Rondo

In January 2013 my care began to make a whinning noise. I took my car to my mechanic who stated the power steering pump went out. I was in disbelief due to my care only being four years old. I then paid $650 for parts after I learned this was not covered under warranty (my car was over 60,000 miles). My mechanic then stated that he had seen several cars with the same make/ model with the same issue & that from his expertise this was going to be a domino effect of problems. He adv me to take the care to Kia dealership to see if they would be able to do more due to the car was only four years young. So I took the car to the dealership in conord, ca & they adv me that the air compressor was the issue gave me an estimate of $1400 to repair. Parts employee stated that there where no recalls or problems with any other cars other than mine so far (after I asked has this ever been recalled). Kia parts employee adv me to call around to get the parts estimates after I told him $1400 was too much to pay for a car that Kia should held responsible for. I called around for parts & was adv that based upon the age of my car this par should still be working. I filed a complaint with Kia based out of sacramento & was told they wouldn't do anything unless alot of people came together to file a law suit. Needless to say right now I'm at loss of words with Kia as a company, their lack of empathy, and accountability I would never adv anyone to purchase a Kia & I need to be reimbursed as I'm currently making monthly payments in addition to paying for repairs on this car.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA