2006 Kia Sedona brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Kia Sedona:

2006 Kia Sedona Owner Comments

Jun 062015

The ESC and the ABS light came on and know the break lights don't work and it keeps blowing my head lights the air bag is on and they stay on. This happens when you put it in gear and they stay on the whole time the auto is on. At frist it did every once in a while but know it stays on and my brake lights doesn't work.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Sep 022014

Sedona 6-cyl

I was leaving my house and had just driven a short distance when the check engine light and the ESC off came on as the car slowed to almost a stop. I pressed on the accelerator and nothing happened. I got out of the car and raised the hood and the engine was idling roughly. I turned the car off and on several times but nothing chaged; it wouldn't accelerate and the warning lights stayed on. The ESC off light eventually went out and the check engine light stayed on but I was able to drive it again. I took it to a mechanic who lubricated a throttle cable after checking the codes. It worked for a few weeks after that but the ESC off light came on again intermittently after that. I am afraid of losing power when I am in heavy traffic, at an intersection, merging, or anywhere I will be in danger if I cannot move out of the way of oncoming traffic.

- Schuyler, VA, USA

Aug 102012

Sedona 6-cyl

We bought this Kia Sedona from a dealer and from the time we bought it always had some starting problem. So when we took to the dealer they said it is the battery and replaced the battery and again the same problem and then they said to replace the battery connecting parts as they are not connecting right. Then had some fuse problems and had to replace some fuse and the ac was down replaced the ac. Again battery problem and not starting. The dealer said to replace a new battery and we said it is a new one, but told to put a Kia battery and replaced it, after few days again car slow downed the speed while driving and stopped middle of the road. Had to tow to the dealer. They said it is the starter motor and replaced it. After a year, same problem - car was not starting and then finally they said it is the fuse box and had to replace the whole fuse box as it was not working right. I have two children and this is not safe to drive if it slows downs or stop while driving. I would appreciate if someone can check into it and as there will be more people like me having this problem. We have a Mazda but we have spend way more money and our time on this Kia as it brake downs a lot.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Sep 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The contact stated that the air bag and ESC warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the computer in the front driver or passenger's side seat would have to be replaced. The technician was unable to guarantee the repair after replacing the part. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Jun 012011

Sedona 6-cyl

Kia Sedona 2006 - engine stalled on highway, no response from the accelerator - the "check engine" light came on as well as the 'ESC off' light. This can happen when driving in city or highway... extremely dangerous! pulled-over, turned off engine then restarted to correct the problem. Dealer states tps (throttle position sensor) and/or accelerator position sensor malfuctioning.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Sep 012011

Sedona 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Kia Sedona LX, purchased new from the dealer. Fall of 2010 we began having problems with the ESC light off / check engine lights turning on. Once that happens you can't accelerate, even when you push the gas pedal down it does not work. When this happens you have to shut the car off, restart and pray it wont happen again. We took it to a Kia dealer, they replaced a brake sensor light, which they said can cause the ESC light to malfunction. It worked for a couple of months but now the problem is back, and worse than ever. The van loses the ability to accelerate without warning, on the highway, right after starting the car, ..etc. We have four children and the van is just not safe.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Jul 202011

Sedona 6-cyl

Kia Sedona 2006 no response from the accelerator - the 'ESC off' light is on. This can happen when starting up or when driving. Extremely dangerous.

- Margate City, NJ, USA

Feb 182011

We own a 2006 Kia Sedona, purchased used. The ESC and ABS indicators on the dash go on randomly on a regular basis. We have not addressed it yet with the dealer. Once the car is turned off and on again, the indicator goes away, but will eventually come back on.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 152009

ESC (electronic stability control) light comes on 2006 Kia Sedona and causes a sudden lack of throttle response creating a potentially very serious situation while driving. Car won't respond to gas pedal because tcs has intervened and believes there is wheel spin, even though there isn't. is loaded with reports of near crashes because of that problem.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 202008

Received recall notice, called to have part replaced and shop manager said he ordered parts but didn't know when or if they would come in, recall notice says we may be at risk for crash. This vehicle has had a lot of recalls plus cant keep brakes or rotors on it. Definatly a lemon. Will try to persuade anyone not to buy a Kia.

- Woodville, AL, USA

Jul 012008

Sedona 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. While driving 75 mph, the ESC indicator illuminated and the accelerator failed on the vehicle. The contact attempted to pull over and the vehicle decelerated. He turned off the vehicle and restarted it, but the failure recurred after driving one mile. The dealer stated that they would inspect the vehicle and reset the ESC computer under warranty. The vehicle was repaired twice, but the failure persists. The contact believes this is a big safety hazard. The failure mileage was 39,000 and current mileage was 48,000. Updated 4/16/09 updated 04/21/09.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA