2008 Kia Sedona brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Kia Sedona:

2008 Kia Sedona Owner Comments

May 102016

On 05-10-16 my 2008 Kia Sedona was parked in the drive way. It was not on. It had not been driven for more than 24 hours.the key was not in the ignition. We were removing one of the back passenger seats on the driver's side. The side door had remained open. In the past we had problems with the driver's side sliding door, it wouldn't open or wouldn't close. While removing the seat the open door indicator (buzzing) came on. Did not know why it came on, the car was in park and was off. A couple of minutes later the smell of smoke was coming from the car. Did not see where it was coming from at first and then smoke was coming out of the engine area. The hood was opened and there were flames on the driver's side behind the steering wheel. The fire dept. Was called but we were able to put the flames out before it became dangerous and cancelled the call. The battery had to be disconnected to avoid having the flames start up again. The vehicle was towed to a Kia dealer to investigate the cause. After a few days of waiting the dealer concluded the ABS may have caused the fire. The fire had burned the wiring harness and fire wall. The car was totaled due to not being able to confirm the actual cause of the fire. To date we do not know what actually caused the fire but we had to buy another car. I want to point out if you have a problem with the door system be alert. If your car is in park with the key out of the ignition and you have warning buzzards go off check the current status of the vehicle, possible relay over load to door connection. Not confirmed, but was the only power operating part to the vehicle that was in use when the fire started.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

May 202016

With emergency brake the van rolled away.

- Washington, DC, USA

May 032016

This van has the exact same issue with the brake switch that all the others had in recall. Shifter is stuck in park. ESC light is on and brake lights are not working. There are no open recalls for this issue on the VIN number. Further, the Kia dealership refuses to fix it free of charge.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Oct 272015

Have to put brakes and rotaters on every 6 months and don't know why

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Dec 222014

Sedona 6-cyl

As I was approaching an intersection and I started to apply the brakes, the van suddenly accelerated, when I pressed hard on the brake still it wouldn't Kia Sedona authorized dealer, they said there's no recall. As I researched the internet, I notice that car gurus(which is a car forum) over 33 people had complaint with the same problem. There were an accident with fatalities even. I'm very concern as I drive with all my kids specially my grandson often, and it scares the crap out of me to think that I would get involved in an accident with the little one on board. A lot of people did the diagnostics that the dealer suggested, after paying over $110 plus taxes, the car is still showing the same problem. I really need somebody to tell me what am I supposed to do? I'm still paying for the vehicle, I'm scared to drive it anywhere specially the please...

- Hartford , CT, USA

May 232014

Sedona 6-cyl

Second time in 3 years I have had to replace the brake switch on my 2008 Kia Sedona, why is the recall for this issue only for the 2007 Sedona?

- St Petersburg , FL, USA

Jun 222013

The first time this incident happened, I was driving my 2008 Kia Sedona van on a level street at approximately 30mph. The van started accelerating at a fast speed and the brakes would not work. Fortunately, there were no cars coming the other way and no people out walking. I was not able to stop at the stop sign and I put on my emergency brake and turned off the van. The second incident occurred while I was driving up a hill. The van started accelerating and I was not able to use my brakes. This time I put the van in neutral and was able to regain control of the van. I took the van to my mechanic and they did not find any problem with the brakes or anything else. My friend also experienced a similar incident with her newer model Kia Sedona and uses my same mechanic and found nothing wrong. Her incident happened before my first episode in June. Today, I was driving my daughter to work and the same thing happened as I was driving up a slight elevated street. I was not able to use the brakes and shifted into neutral. I was able to slow the engine and get her to work. I have five children and I have had at least one of them with me when each of these incidences has occurred. I called the Kia dealer today and they told me to call Monday. This is a very scary situation and I fear serious injury may occur. I was on residential streets when all three episodes occurred and did not have my cruise control on as noted from other Kia owners who have experienced this on the highway.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA