2010 Kia Soul brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Kia Soul:

2010 Kia Soul Owner Comments

Dec 122016

Soul

As I was driving North on I-95 it had started to rain. I was in the left lane of a two lane highway going 60 mph in a 70 mph zone when an 18 wheeler went by me going 85 mph or more. It pushed water on the road over into my lane and I felt my wheels begin to move. I let off the gas and gripped the wheel. My ESC light never turned on. I hydroplaned from my lane into the right lane then back into my lane and off the road. The wheels locked about 20 feet off the road and the car tipped on the passenger side and hit a tree. I had my seatbelt on as I sat and dialed 911. My windshield was spiderwebbed, my hood of the car was up, and all my belongings were thrown on the right side of the car. I was wearing my prescription glasses and a headband and with the force of the hit, both were thrown off my face. As I sat in the car on the phone with 911 the car began to catch fire. I unbuckled my seatbelt and got out the door behind the driver. When I got out I realized not one air bag in my vehicle went off. Not even the side ones on the passenger side.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Dec 182015

Soul

The stop lamp switch did not function properly, despite this exact part being recalled back in 2013. The stop lamps are not illuminated when brakes are engaged.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 172015

Soul

I was notified by another driver that none of my brake lights were lighting up when I braked. I immediately took my Kia Soul to the dealership and they found a faulty brake switch. This was the same faulty brake switch that was subject to a recall in 2013. This means that the replaced new brake switch is also faulty after less than 2 years of driving. It is a worry to me that Kia could be replacing a faulty recalled part with another faulty part, especially one that has major safety implications. I was also required to pay for this repair and this also seems unfair given the history of the particular part.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Oct 012009

Soul

The contact owns a 2010 Kia Soul. The contact stated that the middle rear seat belt retractor failed and the brakes made a noise when depressed, causing the brakes not to engage at a normal stopping distance. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failures however, the dealer did nor perform a diagnostic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage 95,000.

- Burksville , KY, USA

Aug 182012

Soul 4-cyl

Dealership changed my brakes on Sept 18. On Sept 19, while driving on highway, all four brakes activated without brakes being pressed. Vehicle decelerated from 65mph to 30 mph and drivers side front brake caught on fire.

- St. Louis, MO, USA