2010 Kia Soul drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Kia Soul:

2010 Kia Soul Owner Comments

Jan 152014

Soul 4-cyl

I recently came out to get into my husbands Kia to find a flat tire. While this is not an unusual event it was expensive. I purchased four new tires, and had them mounted. The mechanic mentioned the unusual wear pattern on the back tires which I had noticed as well. The tires were wearing in the center and to the inside edge of the tires. He suggested that I take the Soul to the dealership since they would be able to align the vehicle according to the manufacturers specs. I made an appointment for the following morning at the Kia dealership to do so. I heard the mechanic say to the dept. Manager that the car had already been aligned. After a short wait period the service department representative came back to me and said that the rear axle had shifted to the side by approx. 1/2". I asked when he had seen this on a vehicle, and he said after an accident. I stated that it had never been in an accident, and my husband purchased it new. The estimate for the repair for parts, labor, and a new alignment was $1090. I am currently waiting for Kia Consumer Affairs to return a call to me about the issue. I believe this to be a significant design flaw since the slightest amount of rain/moisture on the road causes the vehicle to handle very poorly at reduced speeds of 45 mph. This defect has now cost $852 for new tires, and they will wear out in the same odd wear pattern if I don't replace the rear axle, and re-align the tires that I just purchased.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Jun 122013

Soul 4-cyl

Manual clutch defective at only 13,300 miles. Checked online, many people have had the same problem with Kia, many with even less miles. Apparently Kia knows the clutch is defective as they have replaced several (6) of the clutches parts in the following year's model but they refuse to honor their warranty because the clutch is a "wear and tear item". I have never heard of a clutch wearing out at only 13,300 miles. My last manual vehicle (Jeep) had 89,000 miles when traded in and still had the original factory clutch.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Jan 162012

Soul 4-cyl

When putting the vehicle into reverse and releasing the clutch out to start moving the vehicle makes a loud metallic moaning sound. The transmission has been replaced twice and getting ready to more than likely be replaced a third time. The entire transmission has been replaced each time and the problem keeps happening. The vehicle has less than 19K miles on it now, and Kia North America has been contacted each time and the regional advisor has also been notified. There is still no mention of what the actual problem is with the transmission and they are bulking at buying the car back or completely replacing the vehicle. The vehicle has also been hard to put into reverse from a stand still at times.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Feb 172012

Soul

Solid rear axle failure.

- Okemos, MI, USA

Jan 222012

Soul

My wife and I just purchased a used 2010 Kia Soul on 01/21/2012. She was driving it to the car was and as she was trying to make her way to the entrance she was pulled up too closely. She backed up then shifted into first gear and as she began to drive the vehicle thought it was still in reverse and began to move backward. She then put the car in neutral then shifted into first again and the same problem occurred, this time causing her to hit the pay box for the car wash and causing damage to the driver side fender, mirror and door.

- Newark, OH, USA