2010 Kia Soul engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Kia Soul:

2010 Kia Soul Owner Comments

Feb 032016

My 2010 Kia Soul is ceasing and locking up on me and my engine is shutting off. It has done this five times. I documented twice. When I took it to the dealer, I was told to recreate it. I can't believe someone would say this. When I turn right the wheel will turn left and it will stiffen and shutt off. I almost crashed 5 times.

- Lauerl, MD, USA

Sep 052010

The contact owns a 2010 Kia Soul. On two occasions, the wheels locked and the vehicle stalled. The contact also mentioned that the battery failed after one year. When the vehicle was taken to the dealer, they only offered to recharge the battery. A day later, the battery failed. The authorized dealer did not replace the battery and the contact had the battery replaced. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 10V388000 (electrical system), but the vehicle continued to stall. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers who were unable to diagnose the failure correctly to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Dec 292013

I own a pre-owned 2010 Kia Soul! with approximately 47K miles, clear title and no accidents. On Sunday 12/29/13 my car experienced sua (sudden unintended acceleration). I was driving approximately 35 mph, approaching a rotary, when my car suddenly accelerated on its own. The rpms spiked up to 4000-5000 and my car lunged forward and the engine was racing very loudly. I had to pump the brakes multiple times to decelerate and bring the car to a complete stop. This incident is now the 4-5th time I have experienced sudden acceleration (within 1 year), usually happening between the 35-45mph range. The car will accelerate on its own (even if I've been at a complete stop, it will jump forward with rpms running abnormally high) and I'll have to press on the brakes significantly. I brought the car to lev Kia in framingham MA where they ran a diagnostic test (12/30/13) and apparently found no recorded "trouble codes" and said they had never heard of this problem before and there is nothing they can do about it if they cannot recreate the incident. With some minimal research online, I was able to find other Kia owners reporting the same issue, including another 2010 Kia Soul that resulted in a severe accident due to the speed control. This is obviously not a secluded incident and further research must be done. I feel unsafe driving my Kia Soul!

- Boxborough, MA, USA