2014 Kia Soul brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Soul:

2014 Kia Soul Owner Comments

May 012015

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Soul. While driving between 15-25 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but failed to stop the vehicle. The contact stated that the brake pedal was very difficult to depress and required extreme pressure. The contact stated that the vehicle also accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed, but the mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000.

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Jan 132015

I parked my car at the top of my friend's very steep driveway. I never park down it because with the electronic accelerator, I almost got stuck once not being able to give the vehicle a sufficient amount of gas to accelerate up the steep grade. I normally park off the road at the top, but decided to park facing out from the driveway. Even at the top, there is a grade, but it is not ridiculous. I parked in 1st gear (manual) and put the E-brake on. My friend and I were in her walk-out basement for about 10 minutes when we heard what sounded like a door slamming shut. We went to the door and saw my car had rolled down the 200' driveway and in to her deck. The basement door is under the deck. The car was holding the deck up and the deck was keeping the car from continuing over a retaining wall and down a 30' drop. We called 911 because of the structural damage, the car and deck still making noise, not knowing how long it would hold, as well as us being trapped in the basement until it was secured. Once the fire department had the wheels chocked they opened the driver side door to make sure the E-brake was on. They verified that it was, in fact, engaged. This was all put in the police report. There is over $7K damage to the car and $4K to the deck. Kia inspected today and didn't find any deficiency in the E-brake. I had the sinking suspicion that nothing would be found. It may have been a mixture of events that caused the failure, but it still happened and was still a mechanical issue that no one-year old car should have.

- Asheville, NC, USA

May 022014

Shortly after buying my new 2014 Kia Soul in March 2014, I noticed that acceleration delayed usually from a stop light, stop sign or stop/go traffic and would need to pump gas for car to move then it will take off quick and almost become out of control, also feels as though lose power steering and proper braking. Dealer service could not find any error codes on scan so no fix. After 2nd attempt to look at problem I was told by service manager that if I was driving in eco mode that could be the issue. If Kia knows this why even offer that mode? I also have a problem with the passenger front seat belt that only allows slight movement before it locks tight and does not retract without unlatching completely. Upon inspecting other cars on lot with service manager we found the optima, Soul, sportage all do the same thing on passenger front only allowing extending the seatbelt/or movement about halfway forward before it locks and will not retract. The gas mileage listed on window tag was over-inflated at 27 mpg it seems to average closer to 23-24 mpg. Finally I was in an accident which I rear-ended someone at stoplight and while I felt there should have been plenty of time to stop the brakes did not feel as though they worked at all, the car just kept going, the weather was dry. It was suggested by a brake & tire specialist to go to dealer for full inspection, but I hesitate to return to Kia do to all my other issues that canżżT be figured out because the diagnostics can never find an error code. I will be taking my car in for a complete tear down by a 3rd party brake specialist for brake/sensor/master cylinder inspection as I don't even feel safe to drive this new car with approx 17,000 miles. I have since opened a case with Kia consumer assistance due to the many ongoing issues.

- San Bernardino , CA, USA

Jun 192014

Soul 4-cyl

Cruise control randomly cut off. Then ESC and ABS lights come on and disables anti-lock brakes system and stability control. Best guess faulty brake switch.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Jun 132014

Soul 4-cyl

Animal ran in front of vehicle, we were forced to slam on the brakes, car did not stop. Head on collision into the tree(s). The car stopped dead center in the large tree I hit, causing my body (passenger) to go between the lap belt and shoulder belt. My body smacked the dash and head slammed into the windshield. Airbags did not deploy. Vehicle is a total loss. Updated 07/01/14..updated 08/12/14

- Bumpass, VA, USA

Apr 252014

When braking, there is fading pedal feel whereby braking grip is not linear with pedal pressure.

- Herndon, VA, USA