2008 Kia Spectra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Kia Spectra:

2008 Kia Spectra Owner Comments

Jul 142011

2008 Kia Spectra, purchased new Jan 2008, 20K miles, passenger air bag light only goes off (active) when a person of around 200 lbs sits in it. My grandchildren, some of which are 120 or more lbs, do not set it off. I have been making them sit in the back seat, but after reading the crash complaints, where air bags never went off, I am very concerned about their safety as well as my own. I do not care to be involved in an accident to see if they will work! not acceptable, especially in a small car.

- Isle, MN, USA

Dec 272010

Spectra 4-cyl

When my son, who is 12 years old sits in the front passenger seat (weighs 103 pounds) the light goes off sometimes or stays on sometimes for the airbag system, but when my fiancee who is in excess of 180 pounds sits in the seat, the airbag light stays on, thus would not deploy in case of an accident. This happens sporadically, not constantly.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Jan 012011

When my wife sits in the passenger seat, the air bag activation system does not activate approximately 50% of the time. This is a serious safety issue since she would have no air bag deployment in the event of an accident. There should be some way for me to activate the system when she is a passenger.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 152008

On our 2008 Kia Spectra the air bag indicator light never goes off when the passenger seat is occupied. I am concerned that this means the bag will not deploy if there is an accident. It has been this way since purchased in may of 2008.

- Maumelle, AR, USA