1.9

2009 Kia Spectra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Spectra:

2009 Kia Spectra Owner Comments

Apr 012016

Spectra

This car is trying to kill me. I turn on my car, feet aren't on the pedals, my rpms rev and sputter up to 4,000+ without me doing anything. Sometimes it will launch me a bit when I'm trying to back out of a parking spot. Sometimes I'll be at a stop sign or a red light, completely stopped, foot on the brake, hard. Cross-traffic flowing. Suddenly my engine revvs and my car lunges forward. Wtf Kia" I've taken it to Kia once and they told me its a transmission problem that's going to cost more than the car is even worth and more money than I have to spend. So now what? I'm going to pay for a life endangering mechanical problem that likely costs dollars and minutes to fix because the mechanic thinks its a transmission problem" hopefully something is resolved before this car wrecks itself.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012015

Spectra

Engine kept dying on me after I filled up the tank. I have had vehicle or 3 years now and never had this problem before. I don't top off the tank so I don't know how I could have caused this problem. I find it dangerous to drive in these conditions stalling out in rush hour traffic with no warning not even check engine light with 3 kids in the car and gas coming out of the bottom of my car onto the ground. I took it to Kia dealer and was told I overfilled the tank and that warranty would not cover damage of charcoal filter and all air and cabin filters filling up with gas so now I am stuck paying $400 that I don't have. It is a known problem to Kia but they will not set as recall or help accommodate us with damages and I am a single mom of 3 kid and can't afford this. I did not do anything wrong to cause this and yet we have to pay for it.

- Hesperia, CA, USA