2002 Kia Sportage seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Kia Sportage:

2002 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Oct 102014

Sportage 2-cyl

Just getting in vehicle ready to put on my seat belt it would not tighten nor retract back in so I could try again now the seat belt will not tighten at all it is very unsafe I will get tickted. I bought the vehicle as is.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jul 212014

The contact owns a 2002 Kia Sportage. The contact stated that after leaning forward, the front passenger seat belt failed to retract. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000 and the current mileage was 134,000.

- Riverside, TX, USA

Feb 122004

When attempting to unlock the seat belt on the front passenger side and rear right passenger side the seat belts would not unlock. Consumer took the vehicle back to the dealership for inspection, and the mechanic was able to release the seat belts.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 102002

Sportage 4WD

On Sept. 18, 2002, we purchased a 2002 Kia Sportage. Upon completion of paper work, I questioned dealer about a seat belt extender as original installed seat belt would not fit comfortably around my large frame. Unlike Ford & Chevrolet, we were told that Kia did not make seat belt extenders! the next day I immediately phoned Kia manufacturers main office, and again was told they did not make seat belt extenders, they couldn't help me. I called the dealer and told him we had just made a purchase on a brand new vehicle that now I could not drive safely. Had we known that a seat belt extender could not be provided, we would not have purchased the vehicle. We do take financial responsibility, but it is state law in Missouri that a seat belt be worn while driving or riding in a motor vehicle. The ramification without a seat belt in a crash in front of an airbag is not something I think any car manufacturer wants to be responsible for in a court of law should a crash occur and an airbag inflate. The bottom line: I need a seat belt extender for my Kia Sportage, like Chevrolet and Ford offer for safety while riding in a vehicle. (documentation - 10/10/2002). **dimsii IVOQ entry posted after 12/12/02 cut over to artemis**768337

- Newburg, MO, USA