2006 Kia Sportage seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Kia Sportage:

2006 Kia Sportage Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 022010

Sportage

Since 2010 I have had an issue with my airbag light coming on. I was well within warranty when this began with mileage at 35,736. The dealership has repaired it multiple times; replaced buckle tensors, replaced seat, harness, reran the codes, etc. To date, it is still not corrected after multiple attempt. I recently received a letter from Kia corporation offering a final settlement to correct this issue. However, they would not answer my question in writing on whether or not this final fix would would work and if they would warranty this fix. I asked the dealership if the airbags would deploy upon accident. They said they do not know for sure, but it is likely they will not deploy. My airbag light is on again after the most recent repair which replaced the seat. I have paid for a majority of these fixed. Most important to me is our safety. Cannot afford to buy another car and with the airbag light on I am afraid trade in value would be reduced. In 2012 Kia recalled almost 150,000 optimas and rondos for airbag issues. I respectfully ask that you consider the Kia Sportage airbag for recall.

- Rathdrum, ID, USA

Mar 262015

Sportage 4-cyl

Vehicle was involved in a head on collision with another vehicle which was traveling approximately 30 mph. The vehicle was declared totaled due to the extensive front end damage. The airbag sensor was damaged and the airbags never deployed.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 092015

Sportage

The air bag light is on at times. I am concerned the air bags will not deploy in case of an accident.

- Blanchardville, WI, USA

Mar 022015

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Kia Sportage. Consumer writes in regards to airbag failure. Consumer sent additional correspondence. Consumer sent additional correspondence on 1/23/15. The consumer wanted a waiver for the air bag failure, due to the fact, the vehicle would not pass inspection. The dealer informed the consumer the seat sensor wasn't working properly and it would cost $1800. However, there was no guarantee the repair would resolve the problem. Updated 07/01/15. Updated 07/06/15.

- Barrington, RI, USA

Jun 022014

Sportage

My air bag came on around June of 2014 and now remains on. I am told by my mechanic it is the air bag impact sensor switch #95930 2E000. The replacement part is $268.15 with a $39 removal and replacement fee. The diagnostics is $32.50. If this part is faulty as indicated in my web search, why am I paying out of pocket to a faulty safety switch? where is/are the recall letter(s)?

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Aug 302014

Sportage

The airbag light has come on twice in the past year. The dealer resets the code/light and claims I need to have the passenger seat replaced for approx. $2,000! there are other 2006 Kia models that have been recalled for faulty passenger seats but not the Sportage. My families safety is being compromised and this is a known issue that should have a recall. I shouldn't have to pay out of my own pocket to repair a faulty safety item. If it's a big enough issue to have a repair bulletin issued it should be recalled immediately.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Apr 112011

Sportage 6-cyl

The airbag light turns on when someone is seated in the front passenger seat and does not turn off. This disengages the front airbags. The Kia dealership has re-set the computer several times, but claims it is a bad sensor in the seat. The entire seat must be replaced.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 012011

Sportage 4-cyl

Prior complaint filed for airbag light/sensor. My airbag light came on, went to the dealer, they tried to reset the light, it would not go off. Many complaints on the 2006 Sportage airbag light & possible failure have been recorded with no safety recall, despite that Kia recalled a number of other 2006 Kia models for airbag failure. I do not know if my airbag will work. Told by dealer that I needed to replace my front seats both driver and passenger for a couple thousand dollars, however, dealer stated they would guarantee that after replacement of the car seats that the airbag problem would be fixed. Numerous complaints about the 2006 Sportage airbag problem have been documented including accidents where the airbag has not worked and people have been injured. If Kia can fix the airbag problem in other 2006 models why not the 2006 Sportage - my safety is just as important as the folks with other 2006 Kia models. The dealer will not guarantee repair/safety.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 012013

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sportage. The contact stated that the air bag failed and the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where the dealer reset the air bag light however, the failure was not corrected. The approximate failure mileage was 34,000 and the approximate current mileage 34,400. Updated 09/06/13

- Loveland , CO, USA

Jul 012013

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle when the air bag light came on and stayed on. I made an appointment with the dealer to have it corrected. They performed a diagnostic testand told me that it might be a sensor they then reset the airbag light. Few days later the same thing happened. The air bag light has come on and has stayed on. From what I have gathered this seems to be a common problem with Kia. The biggest problem is the costto having this repaired.

- Levittown, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Sportage 6-cyl

The air bag light started blinking, then stayed lit. I took my car to Kia dealer and had diagnostic. The cost was $60. They found that front seat passenger seat had an error code. I was told that the sensor for front seat would have to be replaced. When I left dealer the light for air bag was off, but came back on a week later. Air bag light is still on.

- Seffner, FL, USA

Jun 052013

Sportage 6-cyl

The airbag light is suddenly on while driving. Turning off the engine and turning it on back, the light is still on. It happened before about 4 years ago, and had the whole passenger belt replaced, based on the shop recommendation. Now the light is on again, for no reason. Based on the number of complaints/cases found through searching the internet, Kia should make a recall and fix it. It is unsafe to drive with the airbag light on and it is expensive to have it fix. The dealer can not guaranty that changing the belt/sensor etc will fix it, which translates the cost will only keep increasing until it's fixed.

- Bear, DE, USA

Jun 012012

Sportage

The seat belt sensor for the air bags has gone out 3 times. The first time happened about 2500K miles and was under warranty, the second time was after 60K miles and we had to pay for it about $100, the third time it went out was about 80K miles. I was quoted $300 to have it replaced again but when I complained they offered to do it for $100. I think this is a safety issue and it appears to need a recall on the part. I do not think that we should have to pay to have this part replaced and in the mean time we are driving around without the sensor working for the air bag. Good job Kia!

- Littleton, CO, USA

Aug 012011

Sportage 6-cyl

Dealer repaired airbag they replaced from belt to sensors and airbag still light, now no more warranty they deny repair.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Feb 272013

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

Started the vehicle one evening and the drivers side air bag light came on. There were no accidents or anything of that nature. I just purchased this vehicle about 3 weeks ago and carfax guaranteed no accidents. No one is sure how it came on or what to do to turn it off.

- Parma, OH, USA

Jan 092013

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

The drivers side air bag light started blinking and then came on constant. Took to dealer and they were not sure what would fix it. They reset light and it stayed off until passenger raised up to get something off dash and passenger air bag light came on and then the drivers light came on and stayed on again. I have researched and found that in Jan the optima and rio had total recalls for the same problem but they did not include the Sportage. I believe from website research that this is a looming large scale problem with Kia's air bag system especially in the 2006 models. I would like to see a recall since this is an astronomical cost to have repaired and the dealers won't guarantee the repairs since so far the repairs don't fix or keep fixed the faulty system. If all repairs are done that were explained to me then just getting them "possible" repaired could cost as much as $5000 total. Please issue a demand for recall on the 2006 Kia Sportage.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Nov 022009

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Kia Sportage. Consumer writes in regards to malfunction of airbag light. The consumer was informed the connections were bad, which caused the air bag light to illuminated. The cruise control stopped working, the ESC light illuminated, and the radiator cover was broken. The dealer agreed to fix the consumer's vehicle at no charge. Updated 01/07/13

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 212012

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

I was parked in a parking lot at a grocery store inside shopping and came out to find my vehicle was hit in the rear bumper and the other driver drove off without leaving there information. I got in the car and started it noticed that my air bag light came on and did not go off.

- Olean, NY, USA

Nov 012011

Sportage

Air bag warning light comes on intermittently for several months. Now it is on all the time. Appears to be a common problem, internet searches claim the problem is likely in the seatbelt sensor.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jul 062011

Sportage 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sportage. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the passenger air bag sensor mat was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 46,000. Updated 09/05/14 updated 9/8/2014

- Tucson, AZ, USA