2009 Kia Sportage engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Sportage:

2009 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Jun 242016

I was driving down a busy road about 50mph when the ESC light came on and the car engine started losing power. I pulled over, afraid to drive but then proceeded as I was only a few minutes from home. I made it home ok and consulted my manual as to what that light meant. I pushed it in (so that it was now "on" because the light said "off" and it drove ok for about a day. Then with no light coming back on, the engine just started reving up really hard and it was stuck in neutral and it started to lose power. I barely made it home safely and noe I'm afraid to drive it. It just came out of nowhere...totally random. I have an appt to bring it in to Kia service center mon. Morning and am currently driving a rental car. It was a very scarey event because both time it gave no warning at all!!

- Wellington, FL, USA

Oct 112015

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Sportage. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the camshaft fractured. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the knock sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 1/15/16

- Summersville, WV, USA