2011 Kia Sportage drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sportage:

2011 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

May 022016

Sportage 4-cyl

I was park in the parking garage of my work place. The time was between 7:10am TO7:15am. I put the car in park. I stepped out of the car to get my purse and other bag on the ground. I left car on cause I was listening to a song. I was looking for an app on my phone to see what song was playing. I then walked around to other side to get a book that was in passenger seat. I walked back to driver side stood there a minute or two still searching for app on phone all sudden my car starting to roll back. I tried to stop the car by trying to get in car too fast door hit me knock me down my legs got caught under door flip me completely around. Then crash to wall of the garage. My back got injured. My car tail gate got damage. I do not know what could of cause the car to roll while parked. There is a little incline in the garage. Called Kia consumer protection. They stated no recall right now problem. The recall of some switch has been fixed but they wi. Investigate. Please see if any other owner of a Sportage has had a similar problem. Thank you

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 032014

Sportage 4-cyl

Step on gas, RPM goes up but no acceleration, at times can not get over 35mph. On even terrain with cruise engaged speed will drop and then rev back up. This only happens occasionally. Have been back to the dealer X3 but with no engine codes fired they can't locate the problem. Safety concerns of not being able to maintain speeds on interstates and county roads. Several consumer forums state common concerns relating to possible turbo, transmission and/or gas line issues. Kia not responsive to consumer concerns.

- Ringlw, WI, USA

Nov 162014

Sportage 4-cyl

We own the car, 2011 Kia Sportage sx T-gdi, for less than 3 months and I had to take it to the dealership pretty much every other week with some issues. Last problem we had was an accelerator/speed control when the car wasn't shifting or accelerating over 25-30 mph even the RPM were up to 6-7X1000, and I was able to floor the pedal and keep it there, was no speed response. The only fix was pull over and shut off the engine, but even after that it could take several times to do the same procedure.I finally got an appointment to the dealership on Tuesday morning 11nov14, pick it up Thursday afternoon 13nov14, they said I had a bad battery that might cause the problem. So I end up paying for a new battery and replacing it, and at the same time the dealers replaced a brake lamp switch, and I was told everything works great. Next morning on Friday, same issue with the speed control, vehicle is driving unusual and on top of that the check engine light came on. Called the dealers immediately they said if the light is not flashing its safe to drive and there are no appointments available until Monday 17nov14. Sunday driving around the car had the same problems all day long and that evening coming home after filled up the tank, at about 25mph speed control was giving me a hard time and shifting at a very delayed times or not shifting at all, approaching an intersection tried to stop and the brake seized first couple times, accelerating instead of stopping, and when already entering the intersection being slippery I was able to do a slightly left sliding on the wet road after brakes finally engaged but was to late to avoid the collision with another car which had the right of way. Same problem, check engine light on, car not working properly, the dealer's service said its good to go! safe and drive-able.

- Fort Bragg, NC, USA

Jun 232014

Sportage 4-cyl

Shifting from 1st to 2nd clutch pedal lost tension and went to floor. Luckily we were at low mph and were able to pull over to call for assistance. Successfully was able to place in neutral. Car still running. This could have been disastrous if we were in another gear at higher RPM. Kia should address the clutch cable issue.

- Dravosburg, PA, USA

Jun 042014

Sportage 4-cyl

Affect the operation of the brake-transmission shift interlock feature preventing the shifter from being moved out of the park position and causing the electronic stability control (ESC) malfunction light to illuminate. Failure to illuminate the stop lamps during braking or inability to disengage the cruise control could increase the risk of a crash. Kia will send an interim notification to owners in May 2013. ***spoke to owner and they said there was no crash

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jan 032014

Sportage

My Sportage 2011 was stuck in 4th gear and did not shift back to first, so I drove straight to the dealership in 4th and now I dont have a substitute car since a whole week I know I gonna take for long. My car was 23K miles at the time.

- Fajardo, PR, USA

Jul 202013

Sportage

When I placed the vehicle in reverse, it felt like the car lunged stopped and lunged again. The car did not move, because the brakes were still engaged. The review camera did not turn on. I backed out and pulled back into my spot, put the car in park, put it into reverse again, and the lunging occurred again. I checked the reverse lights, and they were not on. I proceeded to drive to my destination. While driving at 40 mph, I attempted to accelerate, the car revved to a high RPM, and then engaged the transmission causing the tires to chirp. I attempted several times to accelerate to proper speeds, and the high rev prior to engaging the transmission occurred every time. I noticed the gear indicator on the odometer display was missing. When I got to my destination, I turned off the vehicle. Then I turned it back on, and the vehicle was operating normally.camera, reverse lights, and gear indicator was working. I started driving and attempted a passing acceleration, with no issues. I did not take it to the dealer, because the vehicle is not having the problem at this time.

- League City, TX, USA

Jun 282012

Sportage

The contact owns a 2011 Kia spotrage.the contact stated while attempting to accelerate from a stop sign, the vehicle took approximately 10 seconds to respond. The contact stated that the failure recurred later that day. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was awaiting repairs. The dealer advised that the PCM needed to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 13,500.

- Pelham, NH, USA

Sep 082011

Sportage 4-cyl

We have had our car in to be serviced five times and the problems are still not fixed. The first problem was that it was randomly hesitating and there were a few times we almost were in an accident because the car would not accelerate. On one occasion the car would not go past 40mph with the gas pedal floored, we took it in and were eventually told that the problem was fixed, after my husband provided a few service bulletins to the aloha Kia service dept. (on our second trip in) each time we have had our car "fixed" the problems have returned with more problems sometimes immediately after, sometimes in a day or two. We have yet to be told what is wrong. The following are problems we are experiencing: Randomly not accelerating, the vehicle locking up in park, loss of power, a rolling feeling while driving, whining noise, grating feeling in steering and gas pedal, shifting is really loud and takes longer than it should, brakes are not reliable sometimes there is little resistance in the pedal, we are getting 200 miles to the tank, you can feel a pattern of bumps while driving it is like smooth bump smooth bump bump smooth bump etc... ( I do not know how else to describe it and we have not been told what is wrong) on the last occasion my car was serviced I was told everything was fixed and all of the problems tied into the brake system, the computer had to "re-learn" what it should know. I drove for three miles before experiencing the problems again, and they are getting worse. I feel the service dept. Does not want to address the real problem, there is a terrible defect with a major component(s) of this car. I have taken video of my instrument panel while driving to reflect the irregular shifting.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

May 132011

Sportage

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sportage. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward, slip gears and remain in fourth gear sporadically and without warning. The contact would have to turn the vehicle off and restart in order for the vehicle to perform normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis, but the cause of failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 18,200 and the current mileage was 18,265.

- Shinneston, WV, USA

Oct 222011

Sportage

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sportage. The contact stated that the shift lock malfunctioned. The contact stated that the failure was once corrected but recurred recently. The failure prevented the vehicle from being placed in park. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was told that the shift lock pressure switch needed to be replaced. The contact was concerned because he stated that the dealer advised him that the part would most likely fail again. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Brackettville, TX, USA

Jul 312011

Sportage 4-cyl

Dealer claims they referred to previous service history. Check engine light was on. When depress gas pedal car does not responded. This is the same problem I had on July 13, 2011. Dealer scanned for codes. Did not state in work order which codes where present. Called Kia tech line. Adjust turbo, inspect and adjust ewga rod on turbo. Road tested. Cleared codes and road tested again ok. Car was out of commission from August 1, 2011 at roughly 8:00 am until August 4 2011 at 3:30 pm when dealer called and said car was ready for pickup. Consumer E-mailed invoice and tsb. 08/08/11

- Hummelstown, PA, USA