2012 Kia Sportage engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Sportage:

2012 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Aug 012016

After driving home from a vacation trip, our car literally shutoff as we were crossing a major highway near home. I was able to coast back off the road. We were told by the dealership that it was the motor and it was needing to be replaced. They shared with us that there were 3 others sitting on their lot with the same problem and that there was an issue with those motors and that we should reach out to Kia for assistance. My children were in the vehicle at the time. I previously owned another Kia Sportage, a 2001, that we had for well over 10 years and many miles over 100,000 that we absolutely loved as do I with this one. I just want to get it fixed and back in to it. The car is only 4 years old. What has changed??

- Montgomery, PA, USA

Jul 222016

While driving at 70 mph on interstate 15 in California on a Friday afternoon, the car began jerking and losing power without any warning. The temperature gauge was normal, no lights of any kind came on. With great difficulty we were able to make it to the center median and waited 1-1/2 hrs for a tow from aaa to the nearest Kia dealer in victorville, ca. They did not look at it until Monday and it took a couple of days to get a straight answer from them as to when the car would be fixed. They finally told us the car needed a new engine! they have now had the car 2 weeks and they say they need a part called a camshaft assy (P/N 242002G700) which they will not have for another 3 weeks! in researching this situation, I see that other Kia owners have experienced this same failure. It seems as though a recall and safety warning is needed! this could have caused a terrible accident. The car only has 27,000 miles and was purchased used from a Kia dealer as a "certified pre-owned vehicle". at this time, we do not know how much this is going to cost. We had to pay for the tow, stay in a hotel, rent a car to get home as we live in Utah. We were told we will have to go back there to pick up the car! we are thankful we weren't injured but someone else may be if Kia doesn't do something about this situation.

- St George, UT, USA

Mar 132016

Driving approximately 70 mph on the interstate, a loud squeak sound occurred and all of the lights on the dashboard lit up and the engine promptly shut off and has since then been unable to start again. The Kia dealership has informed me that the vehicle has internal engine failure. My concern is driving a vehicle at that speed and having it instantly shut off is a huge safety risk and liability, especially after hearing ir has happened to others with identical vehicles.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Sep 112015

While driving car at highway speeds, suddenly car began to decelerate, luckily was able to get to shoulder of highway. Car died when getting to shoulder, started again, engine making horrible knocking sound, and wouldn't move. Got towed to Kia dealer, stated we needed a new engine. Kia dealer stated the connecting rod on the crankshaft either seized up or broke and locked up.

- Center Valley, PA, USA

Jun 122014

While driving on freeway at 70 mph car engine slowed to 40 without warning then down to 20, almost causing multiple cars to crash into me. Managed to drive car directly to Kia dealer while going from driving fine, to slowing to 20 mph to shaking when at a stop light when I dropped off car to dealer they could not find anything wrong. Says I have to pick back up. Prior to this, while on freeway engine would wind and rev RPM without moving or accelerating. Had Kia computer hooked up for weeks and it did not record anything. I have had it in numerous times and they cannot find anything wrong. Very disappointed with my choice in Kia.

- Chino, CA, USA

Apr 032014

Driving on the interstate, the engine of the car gave out. I was given zero warning before the engine completely died and I was forced to pull my car off to the side of the road. I was lucky that the car behind me did not hit me. The car is only 2 years old with about 30,000 miles and this should not have happened. It put my life and that of my 11 month old son at risk. The public needs to be aware of this issue! no one should have to worry about being in a fatal accident due to Kia's faulty parts.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Mar 202014

Sportage 4-cyl

At approximately 5:30am, I was driving down the freeway. My Kia Sportage suddenly made a loud bang, and the engine stalled. It also shut off the headlights, and disabled the power steering, while on a curve, going 70mph. The power assisted brakes were also not working, because the engine shut down. I managed to pull the vehicle over without incident, but was almost hit by several vehicles that could no longer see me, because my lights were off. The engine would not start up again, and I had to have the vehicle towed home. This is the 3rd time this vehicle has done this, and Kia refuses to repair the vehicle.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jun 102012

Sportage 4-cyl

I pulled a trailer for the first time on this date. The truck only made it 10 miles, and lost all power, and I barely made it off of the freeway. Brought it to the dealer, and they found the spark plugs blew apart. All they did was change the spark plugs and sent me on my way. On July 13th, I towed my camper, which was lighter than the last trailer I pulled. This time, about 6 miles into the trip, the engine completely let go on the highway. I had to get across 4 lanes of traffic with no power and a camper in-tow. Waited at the side of the road for an hour and a half before Kia sent a tow vehicle. Discovered all 4 spark plugs were destroyed, and a hole in cylinder 3. Kia will not warranty it, blaming the engine failure on the camper not having trailer brakes(completely absurd). The first failure in June, the trailer weighed 500lbs more, and had trailer brakes. Kia does not want to admit fault for this extremely dangerous fault in their engine. The vehicle is rated for 2,000lbs towing capacity, and both trailers were well under the limit. My camper is only 1,155lbs. Complete engine failure on the highway put me and my entire family in danger twice. This is un-acceptable. This was a loaded sx AWD.(turbocharged).

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA