5.1

2015 Kia Sportage engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Kia Sportage:

2015 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Feb 142016

Sportage

While entering the 290 from downtown Chicago driving at a speed of 50 miles an hour we felt a pulse and then an audible voice came over our radio with a display illuminating as well stating that there was a "possible condition with our engine control system detected and that we should schedule a full system check with the Kia dealership." This was followed by the engine light coming on and the inability to accelerate at all. With the location of the incident there was an extreme danger of collision as there was no way to safely and effectively come out of the immediate situation. Without a shoulder to pull over on we then made our way to a side street and called roadside assistance. The car was towed to our dealership and we then had to arrange our own transportation from the disabled vehicles location to a place that was open and we were able to secure transportation. Calling the service department the next morning we were met with a preliminary assessment of it being a "sensor" and then after we personally visited the dealership and explain how we did not feel safe in our vehicle they went on to say they had never heard of that problem and would look at it. I again reiterated that in a new vehicle whether it was the car itself or a faulty part I did not feel safe as I had lost control of my vehicle and in any other situation would have not had the outcome I did. Then being told that it could be a ECM they would further look into it. I stated again, no matter what the problem I was fearful of getting back into the vehicle as this was not a result due to preventative maintenance but rather a faulty part of another undiscovered issue in the car that had no warning but rather just an immediate occurrence. I stand firm in my statement that Kia should look at why this happened and not further bet on the chance that this will not reoccur and replace the vehicle in full.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA