1.8

2003 Land Rover Discovery II engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Land Rover Discovery II:

2003 Land Rover Discovery II Owner Comments

Nov 232010

Discovery II 8-cyl

While driving our 2003 Land Rover Discovery II hse today, the throttle suddenly and unexpectedly stuck in the full position. My wife was able to avoid traffic, control the vehicle and get the transmission in neutral. The vehicle was towed to a Land Rover dealer, and they determined that the throttle butterfly valve had stuck. I researched this and came up with NHTSA case number 03V133000 which deal with this exact issue for this model year vehicle. The dealer claims there are no outstanding recalls for my vehicle and refused to replace the part under this issue. I find it highly coincidental that I am experiencing the exact issue described in the NHTSA case. In reviewing the case information there were other reports outside of the date range that Land Rover claims apply to this defect. I contacted the Land Rover corporate office and they said they were reviewing the case, but that the recall did not apply to my vehicle since the recalls are VIN specific. The service representative did admit that this problem does occur on other vehicles of this type. There was no warning of this failure and it could have resulted in a serious accident.

- Centennial, CO, USA