2002 Land Rover Freelander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Land Rover Freelander:

2002 Land Rover Freelander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 202009

Freelander

Many Land Rover Freelanders are having serious problems due to the faulty construction of the engine. Prior to complete engine failure, there may be unexplained coolant loss, overheating, and other problems related to head gasket failure. Because the cylinder liners are steel and the block is alloy, the cylinder liners tend to work their way into the block. When this happens, there is no way to repair the vehicle short of engine replacement, and many of the replacement engines have the same construction defect as the original vehicle.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 222008

Freelander

I have a 2002 Freelander that I bought new in 2002. I have had nothing but problems with it. Most recently the truck was undriveable for several months at the beginning of 2008 due to overheating. Finally saved enough money to take it and have it repaired. Have driven it for 5 months and am again losing coolant. Have paid several thousand dollars for repairs due to overheating and other issues over the last year. Now, the right rear passenger window motor is dead. Like many others who own these vehicles, the transmission had to be replaced. There are clunking noises when it is put in gear. There is an electrical gremlin that makes the rear window go up and down for no reason. I have had the sunroof stuck open and had that fixed. The motor was tapping constantly and the dealer told me the sound was normal. An independent mechanic repaired the tapping noise which was the intake manifold. My truck has been out of warranty and I'm out of money.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Sep 072008

Freelander

The contact owns a 2002 Land Rover Freelander. While driving approximately 25 mph on normal road conditions, the vehicle stalled. The engine failed to restart after several attempts. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. Roadside assistance was called to the scene and the vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the failure was related to the cylinder and pistons. The vehicle is currently at the repair shop and has been there for one month waiting on the replacement parts. The technician discovered that the parts were discontinued by the manufacturer and the vehicle cannot be repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle has been repaired every month for one year for other defects prior to this recent failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 93,000.

- Spring , TX, USA

Sep 162008

Engine failure.

- Ringwood, NJ, USA

Sep 232008

Freelander

After several incidents with my 2002 Land Rover Freelander type S overheating, I took it to my local Land Rover dealer to find out the problem. The coolant was found to be low, and a discussion with the mechanic and the shop person indicated that their is no external leaks, and that the coolant may be leaking into the engine. I was told that the cylinders/heads are made of different materials, and that a gap may have formed there causing the coolant to leak into the engine. I was told that if the coolant continues to leak without any visible signs of external problems, the engine would need to be replaced. I have 57,500 original miles on this vehicle, and all required maintenance has been done. It is now out of manufactures warranty, and I do not have an extended warranty. I have seen thousands of postings on the internet relating to this problem, with models from 2000 to 2005, the years the car was available in the us. It appears that there are no viable replacement engines available that do not have this same problem since, the vehicle was discontinued in 2005. Based on the information I have gathered, it appears that the engine used in this vehicle was of a faulty design, given the fact that a replacement with out this problem is not available for the record, my vehicle info is as follows: Make: Land Rover model: Freelander type S year: 2002 purchase date: 07/12/2002 I am the original owner, and I purchased this from a Land Rover dealer in simsbury, ct.

- Clarksville, IN, USA

Mar 072008

Freelander

My 2002 landrover Freelander's engine failed at around 70,000 miles without any warning from the vehicles warning light system and just as the vehicle's original 5 year warranty ended. The dealers repair shop attributed the engine failure to overheating. Due to the manufacture discontinuing manufacturing this engine's the dealer had to locate a "rebuilt" engine as a replacement. The total cost of the "rebuilt engine and labor was an astounding $7,500. Due to the high incident of this particular engine failing and the manufacturer not making the engine any longer it took around 3 months to procure a replacement "rebuilt" engine and install it. Also, the sunroof motor and the rear passenger window motor both failed and had to be replaced at a cost of around $1,200. My dealer recommended that I join a class action law suite if I could find one dealing with this vehicle's clear lemon qualities. I understand from other Freelander owners the next thing to go will likely be the transmission. All of this leaves me with very little confidence in the vehicle's safety or reliability. I feel the out of pocket expenses for this engine replacement are unwarranted and should be the responsibility of the manufacture. On behalf of all Freelander owners who have had to replace the engine of this car please issue a recall of the engine and force the manufacture to take responsibility for their failure to produce and/or use a sound piece of equipment in this vehicle. Thank you.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 022006

Freelander

2002 Land Rover Freelander. Transmission failed at 45,000 miles. Catastrophic engine failure at 55,000 miles. Vehicles stopped dead in the middle of rush hour traffic. Mechanics at the Land Rover dealership said that 100% of the Freelander model had the same transmission & engine failures.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 132008

Freelander

2002 Land Rover Freelander - over a 2 year period repeatedly took the car to Land Rover dealer for missing coolant - car fails to drive April 2006 - informed engine needs to be replaced - replaced engine July 2006 - ~8 dealer servicing including ~5 for engine related issues over the next one and half years - car fails to drive three times in 2 months - taken to Land Rover dealer for diagnosis each time of failure - told engine needs to be replaced June 2008 - Land Rover customer care center / service contacted repeatedly with escalation to a supervisor - Land Rover will not take any action to help resolve customer issue around defective engines - stand by 12 month warranty - one car, 2 engines failed/defective over 5 years ownership - manufacturer refusing to acknowledge product defects, take responsibility and assist customer to make good on subsequent product liability.

- Northampton, MA, USA

Jan 062007

Freelander

I have a 2002 landrover Freelander. This vehicle has been nothing but problems. I bought the car back in late 2005 and it had 32K miles on it. In January of 2007 it was overheating and had a very loud sound to the engine. I took it into the shop and they told me that the engine went bad and needed to be replaced. During the time of the replacement the car only had 59K miles on it. Now over year later the truck is overheating again and I have been told the engine is failing again. I have spend over 6,000 dollars on this SUV that is clearly a lemon.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 012008

Freelander 6-cyl

After buying the car used @ 42,000 miles my 2002 Land Rover Freelander was immediately diagnosed a month after intermittent starting problems with a blown head gasket and I needed a new engine. My car is a safety hazard as it stopped randomly of a highway and left me stranded. I am not the only person experiencing this blown head gasket problem as it is an engineering failure of this SUV. Land Rover will not help, this is a disgrace that so many people have suffered from this problem and nothing has been done.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 162008

Freelander

Date issuerepairs date returned 6/7/06vehicle stalled, won't startbattery replaced6/8/2006 6/16/2006vehicle stalled, won't startreplaced ignition switch, key reader7/17/2006 8/15/2006vehicle stalled, won't start, intermittent startreplaced fuel pump8/18/2006 6/5/2007vehicle stalled, won't startsecured started wire6/6/2007 6/7/2007vehicle stalled, won't start, intermittent startreplaced immobolizer 2 times8/20/2007 11/16/2007vehicle won't acceleratereplaced intake manifold, engine, heater core3/5/2008 5/16/2008vehicle won't acceleratewant to replace entire transmission.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 092007

Freelander 6-cyl

The engine/head gasket issue is the repair that is the most critical and terminal condition for the vehicle. The dealers mechanics will never fix the gasket, so they will only offer the engine replacement, but either repair will cost you more than the SUV is worth. And yes, the brake pads and then rotors wear out very quickly, because of the weight of the vehicle (the dealer says). I personally think it has more to do with the fact that there are 2 disc front brakes and 2 drum rear brakes on the vehicle, hence the wear and weight all goes to the front of the vehicle. Another poor design flaw issue, and I was told the drum brakes were there to better allow the off-roading. Yeah, who ever could off road these things, they fall apart on the driveway!

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 012007

Freelander

I have a Land Rover freeland that started having coolant leakage in early February of 2007. I tried to get the car in to get fixed and was put off by Land Rover until my warranty expired. They never fixed it. It leaks coolant constantly, it looses power, it over heats and steams, the coolant is an oily brown color no matter how many times I flush it. This car has a bad head gasket I'm afraid and I've read about and know many people with the exact same problem. I've replaced the reservoir bottle, flushed the coolant, replaced the thermostat and nothing fixes the problem. I had a month long battle with Land Rover to fix it and they refused. This entire engine needs to be recalled, this is a terrible car and a hazard on the road, I'm scared every time I see a Freelander that it's going to blow something and kill someone on the freeway, Land Rover should be ashamed and all the cars should be recalled.

- North Salt Lake, UT, USA

Oct 012006

Freelander 6-cyl

My 2002 Land Rover Freelander began to overheat while I was commuting from NY to NJ via holland tunnel. Once out of the tunnel I pulled over to check under the hood. It was severely hot. I added coolant and waited approx 15 minutes before completing the 7 minute commute to my home. The next attempt to start the vehicle failed. I had the vehicle towed to Land Rover in paramus. The engine was burnt out and I had to have it replaced.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Oct 152006

Freelander 4-cyl

I had my car for less than a year when the radiator/check engine light went off. I brought it to the dealership and said the oil was leaking into the coolant (something like that.. I know nothing about cars). They had my car for a couple of weeks to fix the problem which I was told by their service manager at the time was a manufacturing problem with all Land Rover Freelanders of 2002 and 2003. I browsed the internet for more information, and sure enough, my car wasn't the only one with this kind of problem. Thankfully, when I had originally purchased the car, I had also purchases their extended warranty. But the warranty runs out in 2010, and I'm sure I'll continue to have this problem. I want to sell my car, but I can't justify selling a car that I know has so many problems.

- Humble, TX, USA

Mar 122008

Freelander 6-cyl

I have had many problems with my 2002 Freelander. Mainly related to engine over-heating which causes coolant to evaporate and also the coolant leaks into the engine. I mentioned this problem with the dealer when the vehicle was in warranty, but then they simply refused to take care of the core problem which is the engine. This engine over-heating resulted in spoiling the A/C blower and heater core, and also I was left stranded in the middle of no-where 4 times. And each time I had to tow the vehicle ($150 each time) and the only response from dealership was to keep adding more coolant. I am now out of warranty and not sure what do I do with this vehicle. I cannot use this to go anywhere (it can fail anytime), don't feel like cheating somebody selling this car. I am totally clueless and need help to the core issue resolved, which I think is engine.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Nov 302007

Freelander 8-cyl

My coolant tank has leaked, my water tank has cracked. None of my safety lights flashed ever, so I drove without any knowledge of the problem and somehow destroyed the engine. Apparently I need a new engine for a car that only has 65,000 miles on it, and the safety lights are not lit.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Jun 152007

Freelander 4WD 6-cyl

Water pump failed, took to dealer for replacement, gas pump failed took it to shop to replace it, gas tank lid failed, both one from dealer to replace it, engine cooling system failed, transmission failed, took it to shop they refuse to fix, they say is not their fault and is not cover by warranty anymore, window motor failed, windshield wiper switch failed, headlights failed, coolant container crack, replaced with new one from dealer. Stop light recalled. Air filtering system retains water which allows mold to grow, air filters replaced.

- Novato, CA, USA

Oct 262007

Freelander 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Land Rover Freelander. The vehicle would not start. There were no warning indicator lights present. The dealer stated that the head gasket seal malfunctioned and leaked oil into the engine. The engine needed to be rebuilt. The repair was not made. The current and failure mileages were 52,000.

- Harford , CT, USA

Feb 162006

Freelander 4WD

The 2002 land rovers Freelanders have overheating problems and causes the engine to lock and cause accidents on the road. All Freelander become lemon..the failures happen when the car turns 5ok miles. I found out that thousands of people who bought the same car have had this problem. And dealer won't even supply the parts to fix the problem. The Freelanders were rip off and Land Rover dealership stop making after they found out that the car was a total disaster both for the company and they customers. But still no recalls ordered or service campaign is ordered to save the people who paid top dollar for a lemon.

- Sarasota, FL, USA