2004 Land Rover Freelander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Land Rover Freelander:

2004 Land Rover Freelander Owner Comments

Dec 032007

Freelander

Days after purchasing my 2004 Freelander, the "check engine soon" light came on and the car stalled out on me. The RPM's go all the way up but the accelerator won't allow to drive past 25 mph. This has happened to me continuously since purchasing it. I have had my car serviced by Land Rover many, many times and they can never figure out what the problem is. They tell me that the cold weather causes it or that I am shifting the gear into 2nd!! this problem has caused me extreme hardship. I have literally driven rental cars for months at a time as they play games with me. This defect caused me to have an accident on highway 405 in ca and it was extremely frightening. I was driving at 60 mph when the car began to buck and stall out. The RPM's were all the way up but I couldn't accelerate past 25 mph. This caused a truck to smash into me as I tried to pull over on the side of the highway. Despite my numerous complaint to the manufacturer no one ever resolved this issue. My car's "service engine" light has been on for a while now and it caused me to fail my inspection, due to emissions. I have spent thousands of dollars on rental cars while Land Rover took their time to "repair" my car. Each time they have a different story...it's an electric light out, it's the alternator, it's the lifters, it's a broken hose, etc. They have never repaired this stalling issue and now my car is not turning on most of the time. I don't have the money to fix this piece of junk anymore. I am going broke from this car. Land Rover in newport beach, ca "lost" my car for a month after I had it towed there from the accident and then refused to help me. They said the tow truck driver never brought it. The time before that they said the tow truck driver lost the keys so they couldn't fix it. I had to have the police department go down there, as I was going to have to file a stolen car report. How ironic is it that the car magically appeared in their lot at that exact time.

- Wellesley, MA, USA

Nov 302008

Freelander

I own a used 2004 Land Rover Freelander. While driving back from Illinois during a snow storm the lr's window wipers stopped working. The windshield wipers stopped halfway during wiping and I was forced to click them on and off to get them to work. I am also experiencing coolant problems do to the faulty engine design the Land Rover is well aware of and refuses to fix. This problem will eventually lead to a required engine replacement that Land Rover is well aware of and refuses to accept responsibility for. The vehicle is maintained regularly as required by the owner's manual so its definitely a engine design problem. Consumers cannot be responsible for vehicle problems that result from matters out of their control. There is a reason lemon laws were enacted and a known engine design flaw that results in catastrophic engine failure before 75,000 miles is the manufacturer's responsibility, not that of the unsuspecting consumer. Only the full weight of the NHTSA addressing this engine problem with all 2002-2005 Freelander models will bring about a satisfactory resolution. Please have your officers investigate this matter, this is unacceptable to the american public in these challenging times.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Apr 102008

Freelander

I bought a 2004 Land Rover Freelander hse and a year later the engine seized. I spent well over $5,000 on repairs and about 3 weeks later the engine seized again from different issues. I now still am paying for my loan and driving a $500 hunk of junk. Thanks Land Rover.

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Oct 312007

Freelander

2004 Freelander SE purchased in April of 2007. Now, (1) continuous coolant leaking, (2) cylinder sleeve has slipped, (3) loud "knocking" noise upon starting the engine, (4) coolant leaking into oil and (5) engine overheat light illuminating regularly. Consulted local Land Rover dealer, was told that I would need a "total engine replacement." That was my only option. Also told to "get rid" of the vehicle. I still owe approximately $13,000 on this vehicle, so that is not an option. Was told that engine replacement would cost $10,000. This problem has been raised by thousands of Freelander owners and should be looked into from a legal standpoint before someone gets injured or worse due to engine lockup.

- South Charleston, WV, USA

Apr 192008

Freelander 4WD 6-cyl

Since warranty expiration in Aug. '07 my 2004 hse Freelander with only 50,000 miles on it has been in the shop since Nov. '07 until Feb. '08 for a coolant leak that lead to entire engine change. Lucky I bought the extended warranty. My window regulators has been replaced numerous times since I have owned the vehicle. Now I'm have more problem with it and I'm getting very disgusted with this vehicle. Land Rover needs to Focus more on quality vice quantity of vehicles. I highly recommend a quality assurance division to recommend quality and durable components for their vehicles instead of being cheap and using the name of Land Rover as a shield for their shady business practices..... I bought this vehicle on the basis of its durability.... I guess Land Rover does mean nothing..... I should've done better homework.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Nov 282007

Freelander 6-cyl

Just a few days before my scheduled 72000 revision, the temperature gauge was acting up. The local dealer supposedly fixed the problem by replacing the thermostat for $2500. 10 days later same problem, now dealer wants $4200 just to open gaskets and perhaps engine may need to be replaced for $15000. That is more the the value of the car. Then I find dozens of people with the exact problem with the exact car on edmunds carspace.

- Larkspur, CA, USA

May 172004

Freelander 6-cyl

While driving engine light illuminated. This caused the vehicle to stall. Consumer had the vehicle towed. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem. This incident also occured as the consumer slowed to stop at a light. The engine light had come on and the engine died at the intersection. The vehicle was able to be started 15 minutes later. The vehicle would also surge.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Feb 292004

Freelander 6-cyl

While driving check engine light illuminated on the dashboard, followed by the vehicle starting to decelerate and stall. Vehicle was then towed to the dealership, who serviced the vehicle 3 times, but problem recurred.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA