2003 Lincoln LS drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Lincoln LS:

2003 Lincoln LS Owner Comments

Aug 282016

The transmission has problems shifting while driving and makes it dangerous to other cars around

- Magna, UT, USA

May 312016

Took transmission for repair. Transmission shop could not load new Lincoln software on new computer module. It has been two weeks at rowlett transmission shop and now the "engine side" of the new computer installed will not clear. Says there in an engine issue now. There was no engine issue before I took it to get the transmission fixed.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Jul 012014

LS 8-cyl

Cel came on, code indicated transmission issue. "E" appeared in the gear indicator, rather than the gear the transmission was in. Trans would not shift into 2nd and 5th of gears. Had the car towed to transmission shop, who told me the problem was a bad transmission case that had been destroyed as the result of servo impact over time. A bushing could have resolved the problem, had Lincoln installed one at manufacture. Tech told me this was a known problem with the Lincoln 5R55 transmission. Shop installed new transmission, with bushing, for $3700. No way a modern trans should fail at 113K miles, esp. From something like this, so easily preventable. Lincoln purchasers, who pay a premium for the advertised quality of a Lincoln, expect and deserve better, especially since a substantial number of Lincoln purchasers have experienced the exact same problem, and have had to bear the cost of the transmission replacement necessitated by Lincoln's manufacture and placement in the stream of commerce of a proven defective product. Lincoln should bear some of the cost, but has refused to do so.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Feb 292012

LS 6-cyl

Shifts hard, when in 20-30 mph, in gear 2 and 3. after diagnostic, dealer said it may be transmission, but they have to tear it apart. If bands, torque converter, or solenoid pack they have to tear down and rebuild. He did say that one of the solenoids went outer if bands were bent, they would have to rebuild the transmission for a cost of $2500 - $3500. I have read all over the internet where people are complaining about hard shifting and transmission problems. It seems that the part was defective by design. One person said that they bought a kit that fixes the design flaw - 5rw master servo bore repair kit (Ford 5R55W/S/N). It is not made by Ford, it seems they are too cheap to fix the real problem. They should listen to peoples concerns. I am also going to call the 800 number for Ford Lincoln and send them a letter. Would use with any tranny rebuild. The final cost of the repair is now at $4000. Yikes.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Oct 012011

LS 6-cyl

The transmission failed and has to be replaced per grapevine Ford in Texas. These Ford have had transmissions failing for years and you lazy people won't make them recall them. Exactly has does one get to own a government Agency??

- Ft Worth, TX, USA

Jun 282010

LS 8-cyl

My 2003 Lincoln Ls start shifting while driving and the check transmission light came on then the E in the gear box came on.

- Dublin , GA, USA

Apr 222009

While driving suddenly the ABS light, traction control light and the parking brake light came on. I immediately exited the freeway and pulled into a parking area and turned the car off. After calming my 87 year old mother down I restarted the car and none of the lights came on. I proceeded to start driving my car home and again all the lights came on. I contacted the dealer where I purchased my car and spoke to the service manager who informed me that they knew of this problem with the Lincoln and that I should bring it in which I did. I was informed that it would cost approx. $2,000 to fix this problem because Lincoln only covers automobiles that are less than 10 years old or have less than 100K miles. My car has 109K but I feel that Lincoln should cover this since they have known about it long before my car had 100K miles and this is a very big safety hazard. I have taken excellent care of my car getting every oil change on time and each of the services that have been suggested. Lincoln has said they can't help me and the dealer says his hands are tied, what recourse do I have? also I have already had to have a new transmission put in my car.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Dec 192007

LS 8-cyl

Car has consistently just shut off while driving (roughly 30 times in the last year). Been into the dealer no less than 10 times. Had thousands of dollars of valve covers, coils, plugs gaskets, windshield wiper components replaced. No change. Car will still die whenever it feels like it. Lincoln/Ford could care less, and the dealer and field engineers seem tired of seeing my car. Constant movement of brake pedal in rhythm with windshield wipers. Dealer has tried to fix numerous times and the problem is worse now then when they started. Front brake pads rattle. Dealer says it is a known issue and I should just deal with it. Front seat backs fall down. Dealer and Ford blame my kids being in car seats. Never had a problem before they took seats apart to replace faulty seat heater. The transmission is awful. Been reprogrammed 3 times and new servos installed. Still does not shift smoothly, and very erratic. Shifts when it shouldn't and does not shift when it should. Car stalled and activated the alarm horn honking, lights blinking in the middle of an intersection. Car restarted. Next day car had dead battery and would not start. Could not even jump it as there was no power to open trunk and lock cylinder was frozen due to lack of use. Batery in trunk!! wheels had to be balanced 3 times then force balanced to remove excessive vibration. All at my expense had leaky reverse light replaced by dealer now have some piece of a fastener floating around inside the deck lid rattling. Clips for E brake are always broken and apparently 180 bucks to fix.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Sep 152003

Spark knock under load (passing or from 0) occurs with low RPM and high RPM under loads currently told to wait until Lincoln finds a fix since they have never heard or dealt with this problem before. Transmission has had repairs done also. Shifting has gotten better since reprogramming of computor. Since this is a unique problem to this vehicle complaints are not taken too seriously by Lincoln of Canada.

- Tecumseh, UN, USA