2007 Lincoln MKX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Lincoln MKX:

2007 Lincoln MKX Owner Comments

Feb 112016

My 2007 Lincoln Mkx AWD is making a howling/buzzing noise as I accelerate past about 35 mph and gets louder as I accelerate. Also at times as I'm waiting traffic signal lights I sometimes smell a propane/gas odor. Took my vehicle to 2 repair shops and both determined the noise/problem is the power transfer unit. The cause of the odor was not known. Work on the ptu is going to cost between $1800 - $2100. But the part will most likely be on back order. So I'm assuming this is a common problem.. or a manufacturer defect.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Sep 092015

Driving at 40 mph on a five lane state highway in metropolitan area. Sudden loss of power, lost throttle response, dash send odo data error message, with no odometer reading, wrench symbol. Car coasted to stop in left turn lane. Loud cluck when attempting to shift to/from park, reverse, neutral or drive. Unable to drive more than 2 mph, no matter what throttle position or gear selection. Ignition and engine turn off engine cleared error codes, but did not resolve issue. Mkx could not be driven and needed to be towed for service. Later learned that output shaft speed (oss) sensor and turbine shaft speed (tss) sensor failed, which placed Mkx in electronic status of a high gear, thereby no acceleration or control possible without repair. Later learned that Lincoln has had a technical service bulletin published that diagnosed this problem in 2007! multiple complaints by motorist with similar issues with wiring to oss/tss sensors. Well known problem to Lincoln but no recall. Sudden lost of throttle at high speed is very dangerous. At highway speeds, lack of response from automobile could be fatal. This is not a wear problem, but an initial design or part design failure. Initial symptoms include poor automatic shift at middle range speeds. Failure of electrical connection or sensors can occur at any odometer reading or automobile usage.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

Nov 172011

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. As a result, the speed decreased causing the two vehicles driving behind the contact to crash into each other. The contact was not involved in the crash. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the control solenoid needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 49,136.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 102015

I was riving about 35 mph when the car stopped moving forward and a wrench appear in my dash. The car swerve and hit a curve to keep from hitting me had he not done that I could have been seriously injured. Previously that happen to be and it did caused an accident. On November 17, 2011 I had 49,136 miles my car was still on warranty and they bayway Lincoln repaired it. Now less than 12,000 miles this happen and no one is responsible. I am a senior citizen very seldom drive my car and don't think it is fair for me to fear driving this car or be responsible for the cost.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 222013

Leaking transmission fluid from front of vehicle by radiator.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Sep 042014

My wife's car stopped moving in an intersection, doing some research on this I have found that there is a defect in the transmission output speed sensor. It causes the computer to not know how fast the car is moving and kills the exceleration of the vehicle. I took the vehicle to a Ford Lincoln dealer and although when looking on the internet this issue is well documented, the dealer gave me the impression that they were not aware of any such problems.

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

May 012014

MKX 6-cyl

Ptu leaking with a burning smell. Seal and gasket replaced under warranty on 3/1/11 at 33,463 miles. Ptu is leaking again in 2014 at 78,000 miles and this time there is no warranty. Seeing all the ptu problems on the web with Mkx/edge vehicles from 07/08, wonder where the engineers were the day they designed this part and the replacement part and why Ford doesn't fix these 07/08 vehicles correctly or warranty this part to 100K miles. Ford/Lincoln had their chance to fix my vehicle right in 2011 and blew it - will probably take it for repairs elsewhere. Have owned Ford products for years - maybe not anymore.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

May 012012

When going about 35 mph the car would vibrate. Sometimes it would stall and then slam into gear. Now the car started grumbling and I believe the problem is the power transfer unit.. the car will drive fine without the drive shaft but when the drive shaft is in you can't go over 5 mph and the car will start shaking and making a loud grumbling noise.. like when your going over the rumble strips on the side of the road there is obviously a problem with these and hopefully Ford will fix it..

- Evergreen Park, IL, USA

Sep 192012

MKX 6-cyl

My Lincoln Mkx was having unusual loss of power issues while driving for some time. In mid-September, I discovered a thick, black fluid leaking from the car. On inspection by a mechanic, the problem was with the transfer case and a complete replacement of the transfer case was required. On further research, I discovered that this is a common problem, known to Ford/Lincoln mechanics, with the 2007 and 2008 models of the Lincoln Mkx and Ford edge. I understand the problem was corrected with later models.

- North Grafton, MA, USA

Apr 082012

MKX 6-cyl

We dropped my 2007 Ford Lincoln Mkx off at interstate Ford, 125 alexandersville road, miamisburg, oh on 8 Apr 2012 for a warranty repair (ptu). At first, they told me it would only be a couple of days, then they said that the part should be in on 13 April. Then they said that it should be in on 27 Apr but that they weren't sure if it was being released. I called this morning and the part still isn't in. It has now been almost a month (May 3) and I still don't have my car back. I know it's in the warranty to not provide a loaner car. But, when they have no idea when the part is coming in and it's been a significant amount of time, then Ford should step up to the plate and do something about it. They should provide a loaner car. It should not take this long for a warranty repair. I also think that there should be a recall on this because it is all over the internet that this is a known problem with Mkx and a safety issue. I would like to see a recall on this vehicle and a change in the warranty. It's so bad that the part is on backorder nationwide. Even though this did not cause a crash; I believe that it would have if I kept on driving it!

- Dayton, OH, USA

Oct 032011

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that the driver was driving approximately 10 mph and there was an explosion under the hood. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the transmission exploded. The vehicle was repaired. A few months later, the driver informed the contact that the front passenger side ball joint fractured and the wheel was pointing outward. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer and was awaiting repair. The contact was informed that the ball joint and axle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Landing, NJ, USA

Mar 212011

While at a traffic light I pressed the gas and my vehicle wouldn't move. After reaching 4000 RPM's the vehicle slowly began to move. After arriving at home I placed the vehicle in park and there was a clunk. I tried putting it in drive and it clunked again. I took it to a local shop and they said it was a sensor that controlled shifting. A week later the same problem happened. This time I took it to the dealer, they said there was a solenoid causing the problem.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Sep 172009

MKX 6-cyl

Click and grinding from front end when turning. Eventually bearings had to be replaced and it was only 1 year old. A couple months later right front wheel broke off while driving and almost crashed, it took Ford over a month until I got my vehicle back, now rear shocks are leaking and need to be replaced under warranty, I was just told today that the transmission is leaking due to a faulty part that is broken. The car is only 3 years old!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 202009

Transmission fluid was leaking. Was told it was not covered under my warranty as the transmission cooler was damaged by stones. I asked for the part and detected that there were many stones embedded in he transmission cooler. This is a defect that Lincoln will not admit to. Potential hazard if you spring a leak while driving on the highway.

- Oakville, 00, USA