2.2

2007 Lincoln MKX fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Lincoln MKX:

2007 Lincoln MKX Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 292015

MKX

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. While driving 35 mph, the engine caught fire. The police were not notified. A passenger extinguished the fire. The contact and the other passengers were not injured. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was a fuel leak. The local mechanic repaired the vehicle. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Mar 202015

MKX

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that the dealer did not notify the contact that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V682000 (fuel system, gasoline) since mid March 2015. In addition, upon receiving notification more than a year later, the dealer scheduled an appointment, indicated that the parts were available, and later stated that the parts were to be ordered. The parts were not available at the time of the appointment. The mechanic placed the original part back on the vehicle. The contact was notified of NHTSA campaign number: 16V384000 (air bags) and the dealer stated that the part was not available and provided no time frame that the part would become available. The manufacturer was unable to provide a reasonable time frame to supply the parts to the dealer for both recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available....updated 10/19/16

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Jul 222015

MKX

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that while parked, a strong odor of fuel emitted outside of the vehicle. Most recent, fuel leaked onto the ground continuously. The failure became progressively worse. The vehicle was inspected under NHTSA campaign number: 14V682000 (fuel system, gasoline) however, the dealer failed to perform a repair or replace the defective fuel tank as mentioned in the recall. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the fuel tank seams were corroded which caused the fuel to leak. The manufacturer declined to repair the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 03/16/16

- Minister, OH, USA

Oct 282014

MKX

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V682000 (fuel system, gasoline); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Lutherville Timonium, MD, USA

Feb 032015

MKX

2/3/2015 I took my 2007 Lincoln Mkx in for gas tank recall. On November 25,2015 I picked my car up from the dealer. The dealer stated a new tank was installed. November 27th I filled my tank with gas and went approximately 15 miles before my car shut down while proceeding to stop at a red light. I turned the ignition and started the car and drove 1 mile further to my destination at a mall. My family exited the car and noticed a perfuse gas smell coming from the right side towards the rear. My husband looked under the car and noticed gas leaking. Either the recalled tank was not replaced by the dealer or the new tank is already leaking. The leak is coming from the seam of the fuel tank. While this is the short story it does not mention the all the damage occurred to my car by sitting for 10 months and being exposed to the harsh elements of the sun, rain, snow and the fact someone ran into it while in the dealers procession. My headlights are faded, paint faded, brakes squeal, dead battery and flat tires. Let's not forget it still leaks gas.

- Orchard Beach, MD, USA

Sep 012015

MKX

Have been smelling fuel for a couple of weeks outside the car. Found what appears to be a fuel leak coming from fuel tank. Called Lincoln about the recall, they said it didn't affect my vehicle. I think it did, seeing how it has the same problem, and it's a salt/corrosion issue. I've lived in Nebraska almost all my life, we use salt in the winter season. Regardless where it is built, I'm sure they are getting their parts from the same supplier. Lincoln is in the wrong, they should be taking care of the issue. This is a $2,000 repair that not everyone can afford to pay for. This is bs, and the last time I will buy a Lincoln/Ford product, if this is how they take care of their customers.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Feb 032015

MKX

I am original owner of 2007 Mkx. Received recall notice in Dec.2014. Unable to get vehicle to dealership until 02/03/15. I have not had my vehicle since that date. Corrosion at fuel tank and leaking. Dlr informed me the vehicle cannot be driven. He had no idea when the part(s) would be available. It would be months. I was provided initially with vehicle from dealership. After week or so I was handed over to rental Agency at Ford's expense. I am now in my 3rd vehicle as of June. Have contacted Ford Motor Company numerous times since early Feb. Who apologizes profusely and say they do not know when tanks will be available. They are at mercy of their supplier. No dates maybe late summer. Recall notice indicates 3rd qtr. Dealership as of 7/7/15 saying fourth qtr. No exact date or time. I purchased that vehicle for intended use with business and family. Family members under 25 and frequent out of town family guests cannot drive the rental and until early June previous vehicles I had did not meet my business needs. This has been an unreasonable and unacceptable amount of time. I am very concerned how my vehicle will operate after having been idle for many months, nearly a year. Ford motor should purchase these vehicles at fmv with additional amount covering the rental payouts and the inconvenience through their unknown repair date. They might still have satisfied customers. Only offer they have come up with in early April has been dealer value + $2500 towards another Ford product. Not acceptable.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Aug 202014

MKX

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V682000 (fuel system, gasoline); however, the part needed was not available to schedule a recall repair within a reasonable timeframe. The dealer was unable to service the recall for months due to the manufacturer not notifying them of the recall. The contact did not receive a letter for an extended period of time. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 8/27/15

- Buffalo, MN, USA

Dec 152014

MKX

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that a crack and excessive corrosion developed on the fuel lines. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician indicated that the part needed was not available. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop for further inspection and diagnosis. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V682000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,895.

- Linthicum, MD, USA

Dec 012014

MKX

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. While parked, there was a fuel odor outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V682000 (fuel system, gasoline); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable and would not become available due to the manufacturer of the part no longer being in business. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Jan 142015

MKX 6-cyl

Brought our 2007 Lincoln Mkx into the dealership in early 2014 complaining of a gas smell. We were told that the gas cap was probably not being closed fully. Brought it back in January 2015 after we received the recall notice, and was told that they had to keep the car because of the odor. We just found out that it may not be until the summer or fall of 2015 that it can be fixed. We got an awful rental car, which while paid for by Ford, is far from the car we bought. I'm incredulous that Ford a) can't simply replace the fuel tank and brackets, B) has already taken two months and may take six more, and C) won't provide a comparable loaner vehicle. Doesn't Ford have an obligation, legally and morally, to fix the problem expeditiously?

- Peoria, IL, USA

Dec 132014

MKX 6-cyl

I purchased my 2007 Lincoln Mkx on 12/01/2014 on 12/13/2014 I filled my gas tank drove home I went inside for about 5 minutes when I came out to load my car for a trip I smelled a strong gas odor. Upon further inspection I found that my car had leaked gas all over my driveway. The leak was due to a recalled gas tank. Lincoln has since had my car. That was December this is March. I talked to Lincoln this month and they are telling me my car will not be fixed until October. That will be 10 months im paying for a product I cannot use.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Feb 102015

MKX

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V682000 (fuel system, gasoline) however, the part to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Canton, MA, USA

Nov 182014

MKX 6-cyl

Fuel leak during maintenance inspection, dealership grounded car and did not return to me. Provided small rental car at Lincoln expense. Awaiting part ever since, with no estimate of availability.

- Burlington, WV, USA

Aug 012014

MKX 6-cyl

About 2 months ago, there began a strong smell of gasoline in my garage immediately after filling my gas tank. After this happening several other times, I had the car tested for a fuel leak. A smoke test was performed and no leak was found. Upon searching an answer to this problem, it has come to my attention that this is a common issue in Lincoln Mkx and Ford edge SUV's made in 2007 and after. There are many in online forums who have been told the upper part ("neck") of the gas tank has corroded causing fuel to spray onto the chasis. This is also my experience, as I have been told the same thing by my mechanic. I believe this is a safety concern. The fumes after filling the tank is not tolerable and not safe. Whether or not this is a fire hazard, I can only speculate.

- Brentwood, NH, USA

Oct 172014

MKX 6-cyl

I had noticed a faint gas smell from my 2007 Mkx. Fri 10/17/14 after filling up my gas tank and parking at work, I found a puddle of gas underneath my car. Took the Mkx to my mechanic and found that the tank is rusting and leaking at the seams. $1600 for a new tank but none are available. Call Ford consumer complaint line and told there is not a recall and Ford would not replace or take care of the problem. There are numerous blogs about this problem with the Ford Mkx and edge cars but being ignored by Ford. This is a serious safety issue and should be taken care of by Ford. Do cars need to explode, catch fire or people die before something is done? your help in getting this safety issue taken care of would be appreciated.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 012014

MKX 6-cyl

Strong smell of gas. Fuel tank is rotted on the seem. Ford says it is not covered.

- Winthrop, MA, USA

Aug 252014

MKX 6-cyl

My gas tank is leaking, Ford has been contacted and are unable to come up with a new gas tank. I am being told the earliest possible date to receive a tank (new or used) will be November 7, 2014 and that is no guarantee. The girl I spoke with at "Ford client services" mentioned that I should not be driving the car. I believe this problem is widespread due to the lack of availability of this part.

- Malvern, PA, USA

Sep 172014

MKX 6-cyl

When the car was parked in the garage overnight, I would come out to the strong smell of gas, when I took it to my mechanic, he told me the tank was coming apart at a seam at the top. After searching the internet for similar problems, I found many situation like mine. This is an extremely dangerous and expensive problem that one never expects.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jun 012014

MKX

The contact owns a 2007 Lincoln Mkx. While refueling the vehicle, the contact noticed a fuel leak. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Bridtort, VT, USA