2.1

2008 Lincoln MKX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Lincoln MKX:

2008 Lincoln MKX Owner Comments

Nov 052016

MKX

Yesterday (11/05/2016), I was going to go to the store. The car started fine and ran fine as I backed it out of our driveway, but when I went down the street in front of our neighbors house, it suddenly felt like it shifted into a lower gear. I turned the corner next to my neighbors house and proceeded down a hill that's there, but the car still would only go very slowly. When I got down the hill, I stopped at a stop sign and when I stepped on the gas it suddenly started to run fine. I drove another 7 or 8 blocks until stopping for a red light, that's when I noticed the warning lights showing a wrench and an airbag come on. The light turned green and when I stepped on the gas to make it go, it again would only go at a very slow speed. By the time I crossed the street, the light had switched back to red. Terrified, I pulled into the parking lot across the street and noticed the odometer was showing all zeros. I shut the car off and went into the store, shaking and very scared. I came back out praying it would start up and run fine. It made a grinding noise and sounded louder, but then it started running fine and did so all the way home. I have driven the car twice since then for short distances but haven't had it happen again. We bought this 2008 Lincoln Mkx used with 92,474 miles on it just 3 weeks prior to this happening. When this occurred, there was approximately 92,808 miles on it. That's a whopping 334 miles put on it by us as well as others who test drove the car since this dealer listed it for sale. Since the wrench warning light came on, my husband suspects the powertrain malfunctioned or a AWD fault occurred, as it shows in the owners manual, but said he wouldn't rule out other possible causes. Since we bought this from a used car dealer, though we did take out an extended warranty through our credit union, we don't know what rights exist protecting us.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Oct 262016

MKX

Power train unit failure - 89K miles with warranty being declined due to lubrication issue. Apparently the fluid leaked and there was no way for myself to know this as fluid is very minimal in this unit that it wouldn't even spill down to the ground per the dealer.... this has caused failure to the unit - this is a huge hit to the wallet as well as the vehicle is unable to be driven large rattling noise and car shakes.....replacement costing $1600

- Gilford, NH, USA

Apr 302016

MKX

Odo error. Wrench and airbag lights on. Transmission would barely move car, even when revving engine. Stopped on highway in traffic. Turned engine on/off several times then odo worked, but transmission banged really hard, then engaged normally, and ran normally. Happened 2 more times in two weeks. With just 200,000 miles, the ptu leaked and was replaced by dealer. After one week, the odo error firs T occurred. I believe that the ptu replacement might have caused this problem!

- Saint Charles, IL, USA

Feb 142015

MKX

The contact owns a 2008 Lincoln Mkx. While making a right turn at approximately 35 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front of the vehicle. In addition, the gear shift failed to go into the reverse position without warning. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was taken to the an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Flint, MI, USA

Sep 202015

MKX

Driving on interstate highway at 65 mph and I notice the odo fault light on with airbag and wrench symbols lit. The odometer read only dashes but seemed to be okay at that speed. Seemed to be in 3rd gear" when I stopped at a red light, the car had no power at all. Took forever to get it up to 20 mph. Very dangerous as I was almost stuck in an intersection. Does someone need to die before you recall this"

- Frederick, MD, USA

May 102014

MKX

I recently filed a complaint about this truck not accelerating in traffic and replaced the turbo speed sensor aprox 1 month prior to this. This trip engine light flashed on and car struggled to accelerate, I assumed same issue, put it in cruise control, car stabilized for about 3 miles then started jerking forward, I took cruise off, and whole truck stopped accel, then engine light came on and then entire truck shut down! no power steering, no heat, no nothing! I pulled into on ramp V section to get out of slow lane (I95S) it was 6:20 am so still dark. Very dangerous! known issue with this truck. Had to get tow. He changed price from $75 $4 amile to $175 $4 a mile as soon as my truck was on his carrier. Dealership said if truck had caught fire it'd be a recall. Fix cost me $1100 plus $465 for rental car, then after repair I got home with truck, next am I started it and engine light on with code display saying exhaust issue catalytic converter or oxygen sensor or pistons. I tried to trade truck noone will take it!! fix is 299-"??" serious issue and very dangerous vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Apr 112015

MKX 6-cyl

When I start my car it makes a clunk then when I shift it into gear it will go into reverse but will clunk and when I put it in drive and I can't go over 5 mph. It's happening more and more started about 3 years ago but when I took it into the dealer nothing they could do cause it wasn't happening then. It's happened when I've been sitting at a light or stop sign as well. We will then unhook the batter for a few mins and then everything is fine.

- Creighton, MO, USA

Apr 142014

MKX 6-cyl

Without warning or driver action, vehicle shifts into high gear and remains there for some period of time while warning lights come on including, engine, airbags and others, odometer and speedometer go blank or display error. This condition has lasted from 4 min to 20 min and has happened approximately 20 times since first incident. Sometimes shutting off vehicle and restarting after several minutes seems to help but until the problem corrects itself, putting it in gear results in a bang and jolts the vehicle as it goes into high gear. When in high gear, the vehicle has no power until it reaches higher speeds. At speeds below 55, the vehicle does not respond well to pressing the accelerator. It becomes dangerous when entering or crossing an intersection and it goes into high gear on its own. The internet has many posts of this problem with this vehicle.

- Oxford, NJ, USA

Jan 052015

MKX

This has actually happened to me once before about two months ago, but after it happened again yesterday I decided to take my car in to the shop. I got in and started my car. When I put it in reverse there was a pause then a very loud 'bang' as I thought it settled into gear. Because I was backing out of a driveway that is on a hill, I didn't realize the car really wasn't functioning. But when I went to put it in drive, there was a pause again and then a very loud 'bang'. the car then proceeded to inch down the street even though I was applying gas. I took it to aamco and they told me after running the computer diagnostics there was nothing they could find that was wrong with the car and that they wanted to run some more tests. Good thing I happened upon this site. I'm very disappointed that Lincoln / Ford could get away with problems such as this without a recall to fix a problem they know has been occurring for years!

- Gardena, CA, USA

Dec 112013

MKX

The contact owns a 2008 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the accelerator pedal was engaged repeatedly but the vehicle failed to accelerate over 5 mph. The vehicle stalled and the vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a sensor on the transmission failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Oct 082014

MKX

The contact owns a 2008 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that while driving at 2 mph, the accelerator pedal was engaged but the vehicle failed to accelerate over 2 mph. The contact mentioned that once the vehicle was turned off and restarted, it resumed normal function. The problem occurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the speed control and transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Jun 012013

MKX 6-cyl

About every few weeks, upon driving from a stopped position, it seems like the car is stuck in first gear or in low gear- it accelerates upon stepping on pedal, however the car is just crawling along and not picking up speed at all. Consequently, I have to stop the car and put it in park and then back in drive, once I do this it works normal again. On other occasions I feel a hard kick when I put the car out of drive and back into drive. This is very dangerous if I happen to be pulling into a busy intersection and I would have to come to a complete stop to get this car going again.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 252012

MKX 6-cyl

On 9.25.12, I tried to enter an expressway with an incline entrance ramp during rush hour. When I attempted to accelerate, the car began to sputter and shake, (sputtering under acceleration) and finally stopped in the expressway. The car never shut off, no engine lights appeared, and after about 5 minutes I was able to very slowly drive the car to the side of the expressway. For the next 20 minutes I was able to drive the car at 5-8 mph until reaching an exit and a parking lot. The car never turned off, never died, and no engine lights appeared while driving to the parking lot. Once in the parking lot, I called a local Lincoln dealer who advised me to turn off the car and restart it. After restarting the car, I was able to drive the mkz approximately 35 mph and was able to reach my home. Since 9.25.12, I have driven the mkz once for a brief "ride around the block" and the car now appears to accelerate normally. The car has always had an "unintended acceleration" issue. When accelerating from a dead stop, the car does not accelerate in a smooth motion but rather a "choppy" manner where your body "jerks back and forth". I have never taken the mkz into the dealership for the "unintended acceleration" and have just accepted this poor/choppy acceleration from a dead stop.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 052010

MKX 6-cyl

Dealer found transmission leaking at ptu axle seal. Removed/replaced. Issue has re-occurred on same vehicle at 44879 miles as of 10 Feb. 2012 and dealer is again recommending remove/replace.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Jul 012011

MKX 6-cyl

Excessive throttle body failure rate. Second throttle body failure at 62,978. First replacement was at 21,158. I very very rarely buy non brand name gas, only shell or chevron, occasional sinclair or texaco. I avoid gasohol when possible.

- St George, UT, USA