2003 Lincoln Navigator electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System

NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2003 Lincoln Navigator electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Lincoln Navigator:

2003 Lincoln Navigator Owner Comments

Mar 012007

Navigator

Bought a 2003 Navigator used in January of 2007. Ever since then, the vehicle has been experiencing electrical problems as in windows go up when you push down, the electronic liftgate doesn't always work, the rear electronic seats don't always work, the odometer reads 0 miles to empty when I have a full tank, front air suspension has gone twice now due to an electronically sensor, power locks haven't worked.

- Wayne, MI, USA

Nov 232008

Navigator

Had smoke in passenger area of car. Dealership states it was instrument cluster, but has been unable to find an instrument cluster for vehicle to this date and states they are "backordered:.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

Oct 052006

Navigator 6-cyl

: the contact stated while traveling various speeds, the vehicle hesitated. The dealership rebuilt the automatic transmission, but this did not repair the problem. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership and the gear shifter assembly was replaced. Then the automatic transmission control valve was replaced. The vehicle has not been driven since the last repair was made. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled between 20 and 40 mph. The door lock switch was inoperative, the mirrors would not return to their orignal setting. Updated 10/27/06.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Jan 012005

Navigator

While driving 70 mph the vehicle would suddenly shut down. This problem has occurred four times. The vehicle would lose power steering and power brakes. The service dealer tried various fixes but the problem remained the same.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 062004

Navigator

Passenger side mirror does not work properly, radio cover has marks on it where it retract into the dash, kick plate inside of the driver's side door is broken, all four doors external patterns are loose, and the front console lock is broken. The door ajar light illuminated continually after being repaired three times.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Oct 162003

Navigator

While driving vehicle experienced computer electronic system shutdown. The consumer referenced 10044144 a previous claim filed about the same problem. The consumer lost power steering and power brakes while traveling at a speed of 70 mph.

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 092002

Navigator

The consumer experienced ongoing problems with 2003 Lincoln Navigator electrical system.

- Tyler , TX, USA

Oct 122003

Navigator 8-cyl

The retractable power running boards on my 2003 Lincoln Navigator intermittently fail to deploy and/or retract. As a result of the failure to deploy, I fell while exiting the vehicle, hitting my head on the ground, injuring my lower back (lumbar)in two places and fracturing my (thoracic) spine at T-12. I've researched this on line and found several others vehicle owners who have the same problem with the running boards. I'm told that Ford has a service bulletin #17249 that describes the malfunction. Ford and the dealer have been unable or unwilling to repair my vehicle. I have left it with the dealer for repairs numerous times, twice one of the running boards was stuck in the outer position at the time it was left for repair. I have met with the factory engineer on two occasions. I have made numerous complaints and telphone calls to the Lincoln customer servicehotline and met with smithtown Lincoln Mercury's previous and current service managers. A dangerous condition exists. Hopefully you will take an interest and force them to take whatever action is required to correct the malfunction before others also sustain serious injuries.

- Middle Island, NY, USA

Jun 262004

Navigator 4WD 8-cyl

After purchasing a 2003 Navigator with power running boards, I noticed that the running boards do not always deploy (ie; move out) when a door is opened. I have worked with my local dealer to get the matter resolved and the manufacturer continues to extend the date that they promise there will be a fix. I have been waiting for more than a year. The first fix date was Oct'03, then Nov'03, then Dec '03 and now Dec '04. This can be a serious safety problem is someone was to open the door and try to step out of the vehicle with nothing to step on to -- especially if you factor in the height of the vehicle. Lincoln has most definately dropped the ball on this one and seems to not view the matter as a high priority. I called the Lincoln customer hotline and they have not been helpful, nor have they been able to get back to me with any answer. I have been told by my dealer that Lincoln has determined that the electronic "control" mechanism is defective. I am extremely dissapointed with Lincoln over the matter and feel that they have abandoned purchasers of their Lincoln Navigator's.

- Diablo, CA, USA

Jan 202003

Navigator 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased my vehicle brand new in January of 2003. I have had numerous problems with the vehicle since day 1.the entire computer had to be changed. The truck stalled on me at highway speed. It took over 2 1/2 weeks to get my vehicle back.here is a list of the other problems I have had. The rear vent motors have been changed. I had my windows stuck open with half of my electical system out for over four days due to the problem. The side view mirror motor had to be changed. The power running boards have never worked properly and the dealer can't find the problem. All four wheels had to be changed due to peeling. A new alternator had to be installed which left my vehicle dead without warning. The cd changer had to be replaced. The entire navigation system had to be replaced. The coil had to be changed three times. Which once again died at highway speed on me. I was nearly hit by a semi truck from behind. I thought for sure that my family and I were going to be seriously injured. It is at the dealer right now getting looked at. Twice while being at the dealer for service, my vehicle was hit needing repair. The list goes on. As you can say my vehicle is at the dealer more than it is at home, where it should be. Most of the problems tie my vehicle down for more than a week. I am fed up and tired of all the problems. I don't feel comfortable driving such an unsafe vehicle. I know it will stall again on me. Hopefully there will be no injuries or fatalities due to such an unreliable vehicle.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jan 172004

Navigator 8-cyl

Automatic running boards had delayed deployment or wouldn't deploy at all. The consumer was exiting the from the rear seat when the boards did not deploy but as she stepped out of the vehicle it deployed striking the consumer in the back of her legs.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Oct 012004

Navigator 8-cyl

While driving at 45 mph, the vehicle experienced a complete electronic shutdown causing the steering to become inoperative and brake problems. The vehicle had come to a rolling halt. The Lincoln dealership was unable to assure repairs or explain the cause and effect of the malfunction.

- Walton, NY, USA