1.8

2003 Lincoln Town Car drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Lincoln Town Car:

2003 Lincoln Town Car Owner Comments

Oct 022016

Town Car

I have a 2003 Lincoln Town car and is been having some issues with the passenger side axel, I am getting ready to replace the shaft, bearing and seal for the third time in a period of maybe four years, I'm sorry, but don't remember exactly when it was, but last time was lest than 16 months ago, on the last two there was oil leaking all around the wheel, this time there is still no oil leak but is making that kind of humming noise, and when lifted the car you can move the wheel up and down, now I'm just waiting for the parts to do the job again. Like some other customers I found that my car is not included on the recall, but it looks like that problem is a lot more frequent than is suppose to, and I has found that some people had reported it under the "suspension" category. Thanks god! nothing had happen, because I got it on time, but it won't take me by surprise that some one out there wasn't so lucky. Like I said before I found the problem when walking around the car with the exemption of this time that I heard the noise when driving on the expressway.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the vehicle began to shake on the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the axle/bearing was worn and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Salem, NH, USA

Feb 122014

Town Car

Wheel bearings and axles and differential bearings making a loud noise at 30-35 mph told bearings need to be replaced.

- Lakewood , CO, USA

Mar 092013

Town Car 8-cyl

I took my 2003 Lincoln Town car to the local Ford dealership because I heard a noise in the rear of the car. I was told that the rear axel seal was blown out and the axel assembly was damaged on both sides of the car. In addition, the brakes were ruined by the axel fluid that leaked out. I found out that there was a recall for the rear axel problem in 2003 Lincoln Town cars for fleet cars only. I called the Ford service center and asked them for help with my expensive repair bill. They said no. In addition to a very large repair bill, my car was unsafe due to the condition of the axel yet I was not informed of the situation because I don't own a fleet car.

- Hadley, MA, USA

May 082008

Town Car 8-cyl

Noisy rear end on my Lincoln towncar (2003). There was a recall by the manufacturer to replace rear axels & bearings on 2003 towncars with certain VIN #S (recall # 04V328000) my car had exactly the same failure as mentioned in the recall and I feel that the company should pay or the repair. I only have 39,840 miles pon the car. The problem was corrected by the dealer and I had to pay a portion of the charge. I feel the repair work should have been done nc under the recall, whether the VIN was on it or not, the failure is the same.

- Fairport, NY, USA