2005 Lincoln Town Car engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Lincoln Town Car:

2005 Lincoln Town Car Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 112016

Town Car

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The vehicle accelerated to 85 mph. The contact was able to place the vehicle in neutral and slow down the vehicle. The contact turned the vehicle off and on, and the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the electronic valve in the fuel injector seized in the open position and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Edon, OH, USA

Oct 152014

Town Car 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. While coming to a complete stop, the vehicle accelerated independently. After the brake pedal was depressed numerous times, the vehicle came to a stop. The failure recurred three times within two years. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 06/15/16

- Venetia, PA, USA

Jun 022015

Town Car

After starting the car while parked, I stepped on the brake and put the car in drive, as soon as I put the car in drive the engine accelerated without me putting my foot on the gas pedal and I had to stand on the brake, the car jumped forward, I jammed the car into neutral and the engine still continued to accelerate to a high RPM, I had to shut the engine off to get it to stop accelerating. I had several children in the car and we almost hit the car parked in front of us. This is the fourth time in 4 months that this has happened. I took the car to the Ford dealership to be diagnosed the last time this happened, they found nothing! I pointed out the class action lawsuit for unintended acceleration problems for Ford between the years 2002 and 2010 but they denied knowing anything about this problem and told me they would have to duplicate this problem before they would do anything about it. Obviously they could not duplicate this and I am now left with a dangerous car and Ford denies this is a problem.

- Wichita, KS, USA

May 152015

Town Car

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. While driving at 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently and the emergency brake was engaged in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Sep 032014

Town Car 8-cyl

I had just purchased this vehicle and was driving it home from the car dealership. While pressing on the brake pedal with my right foot to stop at a traffic light, the brake pedal went down so far that my right foot began to also press on the accelerator pedal while that same foot was still on the brake pedal. As my right foot was then pressing on both pedals (brake and accelerator), the car began to accelerate towards the intersection being controlled by the traffic light and towards another car that had stopped at the traffic light. To avoid plowing into the back of the stopped vehicle, I shifted the gear shift from "D" (drive) to the neutral position and then my car suddenly stopped just before plowing into the back of the stopped vehicle. At the time of this incident I did not realize what caused this, but I was able to reproduce this series of events within a hour afterwards.

- Strasburg, VA, USA

Jul 212014

Town Car 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated that while pressing the brake pedal, the vehicle erroneously accelerated and crashed into the rear of a second vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000. Updated 9/18/14

- Upatoi, GA, USA

Dec 172013

Town Car

Applied brakes and car unexpectedly accelerated. This has happened 6-7 over the last 3 months. The last time the car was at a dead stop at a traffic and unexpectedly accelerated.

- River Edge, NJ, USA

Aug 222013

Town Car

I was nearly stopped at a 4-way intersection, foot lightly on the brake, when the car lunged forward and I heard a noise as if I were pressing the accelerator and giving the car gas. I pressed the brakes hard and the car slowed but did not stop promptly (as if brakes were not working well). This was an unexplained acceleration, and dangerous. If the car had not finally stopped, I would have been in the middle of a busy intersection, with one of my precious grandchildren in the back seat. So dangerous. It happened again to me this a.M. when I was stopping at a stop sign. Brief acceleration. And I am positive I was not pressing the accelerator. Calling my dealer today. I am afraid to drive the car now.

- Forest, VA, USA

Jan 022006

Town Car 8-cyl

Our concrete drive is at a small incline-I went to put car in our garage -I had overhead garage door open-I started car and the wheels squealed leaving tire marks on concrete as it jumped forward-when I hit brake pedal it accelerated more. This was one of about 7 cases where car for no reason accelerated and jumped forward without any warning-when this happens the tires always squeal leaving tire marks on surface. In Oct. 2012 I was at a 4 way stop light-light was red and without any warning car jumped forward and 2 cars had to take action to miss my car as it ran through the stop light-other cars were blowing their horns-thank god we did not crash. This condition is extremely serious I have reported these cases to krenzen where I bought car but they claim there was never a case reported such as this. I asked them to make a report on it. I find many cases on the internet like my case.

- Two Harbors, MN, USA

Aug 272012

Town Car 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without any warning. The contact engaged the brakes but the vehicle did not respond and failed to stop. In addition, the contact stated that he had to merge to the side of the road and turn off the ignition in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who was unable to duplicate failure. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 64,000 and the current mileage was 65,500. Updated 11/01/12 the consumer stated his foot slipped off the brake and hit the gas pedal. Updated 11/01/12

- Champgne , IL, USA

Dec 012011

Town Car

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact continued to depress the brake pedal and shifted into neutral in order for the vehicle to come to a stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure recurred two times. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Mar 122011

Town Car

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated that while stopped, there was an increase in engine rpms. The contact applied heavy pressure to the brake pedal until the rpms returned to normal. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to two authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 052010

Town Car

After being parked in parking lot - engine turned off, no radio playing, etc. We started the vehicle up, backed up, braked, put in drive and accelerated at which time the vehicle immediately accelerated out of control. Brakes would not stop the car. The car continued to accelerate faster and faster. We ran over a couple of islands, pulled fire hydrant out of the ground, ran into a wall, vehicle continued to accelerate and it seared from the wall, accelerating faster we knocked 6 parked cars out of the way like they were boxes all the while braking to no avail vehicle continuing to accelerate faster headed across the parking lot toward a chain link fence we threw the gear shift into park about the same time we hit the fence. The vehicle balked and came to stop in about 50 feet in an adjacent parking lot on the other side of the fence ripping about 50 feet of the fence with it. Front end demolished, radiator steaming, engine still running, ripped undercarriage flattened tires from rims. Totaled the car. And air bags did not deploy. Only injuries were bruises and sprains and emotional problems. Praise god. 2 adults and 3 children were in the car. I know the car malfunctioned and Lincoln has a responsibility to the public to investigate, determine cause & correct. Look at the insurance report investigative report. They tell me it cost too much to investigate the cause since there were no severe injuries, .there are many similar incidents on the internet and some not so fortunate. There is a safety issue here and the public has the right to have these accidents investigated. The trauma of being in an out of control vehicle is devastating and Lincoln has a public liability to make that determination to save future lives. 2 adults and 3 children are still emotionally disturbed about this. Are also similar incidents with other Ford products. Please respond.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 012011

Town Car

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated while approaching a red light the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact mentioned that she engaged the brake pedal but the vehicle lunged forward and the tires were squealing. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred her to the NHTSA hotline. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 25,500. The current mileage was 25,800.

- Pewaukee , WI, USA

Mar 292007

Town Car

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln towncar. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, she applied the brakes and the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The failure occurred four times since 2007. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to duplicate the failure after two attempts. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 31,849 and the current mileage was 42,000. Updated 09/08/11 updated 2/9/12

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jun 012010

Town Car

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the brake pedal was engaged followed by a delayed response. Additionally, on a separate occasion when the brake pedal was applied the vehicle continued to accelerate. The vehicle would not stop until the gear was shifted into neutral and the engine was turned off. The contact was able to restart the vehicle as it resumed normally. An authorized dealer advised the contact that the vehicle should be diagnosed for the failure. The contact expressed significant concern of the safety defect with the acceleration and stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 44,000.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Apr 082010

Town Car 8-cyl

On June 5, 2008 I was in line on a hill to get into a car wash & accelerated into the car on line in front of me. I did file a police report at that time. I thought my foot slipped off the brake & that it could have been my fault. However, on April 8, 2010 I was waiting in line at the same car wash in exactly the same spot.I tapped the accelerator slightly to move up in line and my car lurched forward out of control. Despite pressing hard on the brake pedal my car still accelerated into the car in line in front of me. I did not file a police report on April 8, 2010.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

Aug 062009

Town Car 8-cyl

The contact owns 2005 Lincoln town-car. While attempting to decelerate, the vehicle began to accelerate without intention. Even after repeated brake application the vehicle would not stop. Consequently she crashed into a grass embankment. She was hospitalized because her back had broken. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer, but the technician could not identify the cause of the failure. The failure and current mileages 82,000. Updated 01/20/10 the consumer believed the problem was the throttle positioning sensor or throttle box or both. The consumer stated he slowed down for a stop. Updated 01/22/10.

- Ozark, MO, USA

May 062006

Town Car 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Lincoln Town car. Intermittently, the vehicle surged while driving at low speeds. The vehicle has been to the dealer approximately 9 times, and 6 for the surging problem. But the failure still persists. The current mileage was 8,500 and failure mileage was 3,440. Updated 09/24/08. The dealer informed the consumer there was a major defect with the transmission. The transmission would not shift into gear. The trunk lid would not stay up. The horn was not working. Updated 10/01/08.

- Somers, NY, USA

Aug 282007

Town Car 8-cyl

After a recall notice from Ford Motor Company, the cruise control on my 2005 Lincoln Town car was disconnected at the dealership, arrow Ford of abilene, Texas, because of a fire hazard. Six months later I am still waiting for replacement parts to be delivered.

- Albany, TX, USA