2.7

2006 Lincoln Zephyr engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr:

2006 Lincoln Zephyr Owner Comments

Oct 012013

Zephyr

Car has a hard time accelerating/switching gears whole driving in city or on the hwy... causing the engine to buck. This has been ongoing since I've owned the car. At times my airbag light comes on...something to do with the sensors malfunctioning.

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 162011

Zephyr 6-cyl

The problem is re-occurring. When the weather goes below freezing ice builds up around the electronic throttle body. The car will start and as the engine starts to heat up the ice starts to break up. As soon as I have taken the car past 25mph and I let off the gas the engine starts to stall out sending an error signal to the computer and the wrench light comes on. I must say that the problem is very random and does not always occur. I have learned from experience that I must pull over and turn off the car. Turning off the car causes the computer to reset and the wrench light turns off and the car goes back to normal. I am upset because after I took the car to my local dealer they told me that nothing was wrong and that in order for them to fix the problem I would have to drive the car in with the wrench light still on. In reality, this means that I would have to drive with a fuel starved stalling engine to the dealership and I would have to keep the car running until somebody came to help. As soon as I turn off the car the problem no longer exists. I have read many other online posts and blogs from other Lincoln and Ford owners describing the same issue. I hope that Ford can acknowledge this problem. I am very frustrated.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Dec 232012

Zephyr 6-cyl

Driving down interstate and check engine light started flashing and car lost power. Called dealer and they said the light was an engine malfunction. Stated not to drive it. Got it towed to repair shop. When they diagnosed car they stated the PCM module went out and was sending uninterrupted electricity to engine coils and surprised the car didn't start on fire. They also stated the PCM module was in its 13th design as they have had problems with this before and Lincoln had a technical service bulletin as it has been common.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jun 052012

Zephyr 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly hesitated to accelerate. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact later noticed smoke coming from under the vehicle while driving. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic advised the contact that the fifth engine coil had melted and caused a small engine fire. The mechanic replaced the spark plug and the coil. After the repair the failure continued. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised the contact that the PCM was damaged during the fire and would have to be replaced and recalibrated. All of the coils would have to be replaced as well. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.... updated 02/28/13

- Willow Grove, PA, USA