1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse:

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Owner Comments

Feb 102004

Eclipse 4-cyl

Had recall done for lateral arm, dealer informed me head gasket was blown, two weeks later both door handles broke off, maybe the door handles shouldn't be made of plastic. The car has been through two alternator belts in the last two years. The car overheats and it melts them right off. You buy a product from Mitsubishi so you dont expect it to be made by Chrysler. My sister drives a Dodge avenger and we have the same exact engine, and guess what happened to it ---a blown head gasket. Maybe you people should stand behind your product and fix the ever so common problem. Everyone I know who drives an Eclipse has a blown head gasket. I am very unhappy and will never buy a car from Mitsubishi again.

- Cincinnati , OH, USA

May 012002

I was sold this car as a Mitsubishi, it has a Chrysler engine one step up from a neon. If I would have wanted a neon by Chrysler I would have purchased 2 for the price I paid for my Eclipse. The lower bearings went out. I have extended warranty. At 68,000 miles the radiator cracked, computer and alternater went out causing my car to overheat immediately and the engine wouldn't restart until it had cooled. Was hard to restart. It had slick 50 treatments 4 times during its life. It also has had 3 faulty clutches.

- Seminole, FL, USA