2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse:

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 152015

Eclipse 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number :15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The consumer stated the manufacturer advised that a rental car be driven instead at the owner's expense.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Sep 172015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part was unavailable to perform the repair. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

May 042014

Eclipse

When driving home from work going 30 mph I turned right and needed to stop at a red light approximately 200 feet ahead. When I depressed my break pedal it went all the way down to the floor board and had very little, if any reaction. Also, there was a strange sound when I took my foot off the pedal. I took the car to a dealer in goodlettsville, tn to be diagnosed but they said it was something totally different than the problem I was having. I declined the service. It has happened many times since then, with my breaks going back to normal after I stop and restart the car. However, a few weeks ago this happened and they have not gone back to normal. After finding the recall, I have called the dealership nearest me but they said they cannot fix it yet because they are waiting on parts, and it is my job, yet because of their faulty engineering, to bring a car that I will not drive because of this major safety issue to them. It is taking Mitsubishi an excessive amount of time to secure parts for this major safety issue.

- Bay St. Louis, MS, USA

Feb 152015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into a fire hydrant. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Plantation, FL, USA

May 222015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the brake warning indicator consistently illuminated. While driving approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal depressed all the way to the floor and failed to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Jul 202015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact stated that the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard without warning. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic) but the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was unable to determine when the part would be supplied to the dealers. The approximate failure mileage was 59,700.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Jun 022015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded the reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Pompano, FL, USA

Jul 012015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. When the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle hesitated to stop. The brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard and made an abnormal noise when released. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jul 272015

Eclipse

Brakes failed from time to time. Wantagh Mitsubishi had car for 3 days and was not able to duplicate problem. I received a safety recall notice from Mitsubishi. Called the dealer who said there is no fix at this time. Called Mitsubishi who confirmed that and gave me the choice of going back to the dealer or waiting for the second notice. My brakes have failed in the past and I am afraid to drive the vehicle. What should I do?

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Jul 122015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle hesitated to stop without warning. The failure recurred on one other occasion. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,869.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jul 122015

Eclipse

I had just purchased car and I had all maintenance items done at aaa garage to include timing belt, serpentine belt, oil change, tune up, anti freeze flush, tires rotated, etc. There was nothing ndonevto brakes as they still had life in them. I know more maintenance items were done but I forget as my receipt is elsewhere. Happy now I could drive my car knowing the timing belt and other maintenance things were done I left the dealership. I had only gone approximately 10 miles and came to stop light. No brakes. We called aaa and brought it right back. They weren't sure why no brakes as they seem to work ok now. So the only thing left that hadn't been done was the brake fluid replacement and flush. We had that done and we drove it home ok. There were greeted with the new recall on the ABS brakes. It was scary when the brakes went so now the car is not safe to drive again and we are calling the company to get car in shop and get loaner so at least I am safe and have a car to drive people don't mess with this. There is no warning. Luckily I was coming to stop light and nobody in front

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jul 012015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the brake pedal failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,683.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Jun 212015

Eclipse

I was making a right to enter a church and as I was slowing down I lost complete pressure of the brakes. I have taken it to two mechanic but the problem goes away after a day. They told me the brakes were fine. (one of those being a Mitsubishi dealer). This was very dangerous because if there was a car coming out of the church I would've had an accident or crash.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Jun 122015

Eclipse

I was driving the car normally fine and there was a small pot hole on the ground that I went over. I had my foot on the brakes while running over the pot hole and the pressure on the brakes were completely lost. It was a spongy feeling as the brakes were to the floor. The brakes had very little power and when let go had a whistling sound coming back up. I had to drive home while down shifting to lower gears because the brakes did not work.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Jan 212015

Eclipse

This issue has occurred numerous times in my vehicle and has actually resulted in a crash previously. In an emergency breaking situation I will lose brake pressure, the pedal will go to the floor, and my car fails to stop. The first occurrence happened in 2011. I took my car to the mitusbishi dealership to have the breaking system assessed and they told me everything was fine (the brakes had corrected themselves before my appointment). The second time it happened, they once again corrected themselves so no appointment was made. The third time it happened (July 2013), I actually ran into the back of another vehicle. My brakes did not correct themselves after the impact and a wheezing sound could be heard. I had my car towed to a non-Mitsubishi repair shop to be assessed and was told that my master cylinder was defective. I purchased a new master cylinder and thought everything was fine until two days ago when I needed to slam on my brakes again. I applied hard pressure to the breaks, the car began to slow, and then my foot went to the floor. I had to apply my emergency break to stop the car. The remainder of my trip involved me driving at slow speeds and keeping a large amount of distance (the brakes only worked if the pedal was to the floor). I have an appointment tomorrow to have everything looked at again and this time I am not taking "everything looks fine" for an answer. After doing research, I landed on the list of recalls I knew nothing about, and Mitsubishi never told me about (I've owned the vehicle since 2009), and numerous forums of people describing this exact same situation. I called mistubishi about the recall involving the master cylinder and they told me my VIN did not qualify. I am incredibly displeased with their response and the fact that this is a known issue. No Mitsubishi mechanic has ever bothered to bring this up to me or diagnose the problem.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Dec 052012

Eclipse 4-cyl

Upon trying to stop, the brake pedal traveled almost to the floor before the brakes became effective. This happens randomly and has almost caused me to hit other cars when stopping. I reported this to Mitsubishi and told them I thought it should be part of an old 2006 warranty recall but they claimed my vehicle was outside of the 2006 recall, yet it appears to be a common issue with other owners of multiple years of Eclipses 2006 and beyond. This is a dangerous braking problem.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Oct 172012

Eclipse 4-cyl

Brake pedal became spongy and brakes are not responsive. With no warning the brakes will need to be pushed completely to the floor to stop the car. This will occur for anywhere from a day or two to a few weeks. Symptoms will disappear and occur roughly once every 2 or 3 months.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Dec 022013

Eclipse 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the hydraulics unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 122,000....updated 10/08/14 updated 5/13/2015

- Los Angles , CA, USA

May 152013

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact stated that the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when it was depressed and hesitated to respond. The contact also heard an abnormal noise coming from the brakes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V247000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and NHTSA campaign number: 05V299000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Florida City, FL, USA

Jun 122012

Eclipse

I hit a bump in the road and when I went to stop at the next stop sign my brake pedal felt like it was going to grab then went all the way to the floor causing me to pass the stop sign. The next time I tried to stop it was fine. Then several months later it once again did the same thing while trying to park at the grocery store causing me to almost hit a car in the parking spot in front of me. I turned the car off and when I cranked it back up the brakes were fine. Left it sitting in the driveway a few days and now the brakes are doing the same thing again and will not fix itself at all. I have had to stop driving the car now, because it scares me so bad and I have to maintain a very large distance from the cars in front of me. Bought an extended warranty on the car, but the dealership closed and there is not a dealership near me that honors fidelity warranty that I paid $2000 for. Contacted Mitsubishi and they told me that even though there was a recall on my year model for the same issue, it did not effect my car's VIN number. That's crap, it is doing the exact same thing as the recall says and they won't fix the issue. I can't drive it the 65 miles to the dealership that will honor the fidelity warranty, and the warranty won't pay for towing that far. This is going to be an expensive fix... what concerns me more is that I bought the car from a dealership, paid $2000 for an extended warranty I can't use, and I can't get the car fixed because I can't afford to fix it (reason why I bought the warranty). At a loss!!!

- Winston, GA, USA