2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse:

2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 112015

Eclipse

On Friday September 11, 2015 I was driving my 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse at 35 mph, and tried pressing the brakes so I could turn soon. When I pressed the brakes they went all the way down and the car did not slow down at all. I almost lost control of the car, because while I was turning the car jerked back and then forward really hard. The second time it happened was at a stop sign. I almost hit the car going straight because the car wouldn't stop and the brakes would just go all the way down. This problem happened 2 times in a row.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 242015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. When the brake pedal was depressed, there was an abnormal noise. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. Updated 11/18/15

- Poughkeetsie, NY, USA

Aug 042015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V337000 (service brakes) was received in June of 2015. After contacting the dealer and the manufacturer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lee's Summit , MO, USA

Jun 022015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 032015

Eclipse

Brakes stopped working before a speed bump. Have been spongy and making puppy like sounds ever since when released.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Jul 062015

Eclipse 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. While driving at an unknown speed, the brake pedal was engaged and extended to the floorboard. The contact mentioned that the brakes failed to respond. In addition, the contact received notification of an unknown manufacturer recall and stated that the part needed was not available in a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.MA 10/2 the consumer stated while attempting to pull over after the brakes failed, the vehicle received a dent on the lower passenger side from hitting an object on the shoulder of the road. Updated 12/30/2015

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Aug 162015

Eclipse

I was pressing brakes when I suddenly got the bump driving from the hill and brake pedal became very soft and the car stopped braking until I pushed breaks very hard. Fortunately, I could avoid the collision with car in front of me before the lights. I pulled off the road to check brakes and I found the liquid leak under the car in the center. It didn't smell like fuel, my breaking fluid is at the maximum level, so I'm not sure what it is, it doesn't smell and has no color. So, car still can stop, but brake is spongy and I had to press pedal to the very down to start breaking. I figured out it's pretty common Eclipse model problem (see forums club4G.org/board/problem-reports/31276-spongy-brake-pedal-whistle-release-2.html and club4G.org/board/problem-reports/86737-recall-updated-June-2015-a.html) and it may be related to the problem with ABS module. Later, I found out that Mitsubishi made a recall on July 21, 2015 for antilock systems on Eclipses 07 (see www.dealerrater.com/recalls/Mitsubishi/Eclipse/#Y2007), code of recall: Sr-15-004.

- West New York, NJ, USA

Aug 082015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. While driving at approximately 30 mph attempting to avoid impacting a dog, the contact swerved to the left and depressed the brake pedal but the brakes failed to engage. As a result, the contact crashed into three trees. The driver and front passenger side air bags did not deploy. The contact mentioned that only the driver side curtain air bag deployed. The driver sustained injuries to the neck and back which required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the parts needed were not available within a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repair. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Brandenburg, KY, USA

Aug 082014

Eclipse

The brakes failed to stop the car at a stop sign the breakes stated to grip, the pedal went all the way down and I could not stop the car and I hit the car in front of me causing a crash. I call the the company they told me to call the local dealer, I made and appoitment to get it fix @ the only dealer in Decatur ill, the appointment at 7:00 am I left at 2:00P.M. only for them to tell me they didn't have the part to fix my car that I have to wait for another letter from the Mitsubishi company. On the 8/5/2015 I call again, I don't feel safe driving in this car and the company told me they will tow the car to the dealer to get it fix, the dealer told me it will take a day, today I call the dealer they told me it will take 3 to 4 days, when ask for a rental they say I have to call the Mitsubishi company because they couldn't provided me with a rental. I call the Mitsubishi costumer service @ the same thing. After spending all morning and afternoon trying to get to this company no one can provided me with a solution. It is a shame for the Mitsubishi company that after all is not the coustumer problem is there problem, but when it come to get money from the goverment for there business so many mills...they can not take care of cotumers but also;.now they are moving out of usa to russia living us the usa consumers on a cool mud of problem. Who can help little me (us) with this problem ?

- Decatur, IL, USA

Apr 092015

Eclipse

The brakes failed to stop the car at a red light within about 10 feet. The road had gravel on it and the brakes started to grip, then the pedal went down further and the car kept going for about 10 feet. I was lucky there was no one in front of me. This has happened again several times since then. I have recently received the safety recall letter and went to verhage Mitsubishi in holland, mi on July 30 but they said they don't have the parts to repair it. I called again today and they said they still don't have the parts to repair it. This is very unsafe and should be repaired promptly and Mitsubishi is not providing the parts to do the repair..

- Fennville, MI, USA

Jan 122015

Eclipse

While driving to work one morning in January around 7:00, my brake pedal went to the floor when I attempted to stop for traffic. I had to steer out of my lane to avoid hitting the stopped car in front of me. I quickly pumped the pedal and it came back up to stop my car. I took the car to a nearby Firestone service center but they could not locate any problem, as the car was stopping okay at that time. At least once or twice every couple of months since January, I have had this same thing to occur, the brake pedal goes to the floor when stopping. I have to pump the pedal very fast and hard to stop. Once the pedal is back up, it stops fine. I just never know when it is going to the floor. In July 2015, I received a letter from Mitsubishi motors notifying me of a recall due to an ABS hydraulic unit problem. The safety recall notice states Mitsubishi will send me a follow up notice when the remedy parts are available. I feel this is not sufficient. I feel my car is too unsafe for driving. It should be towed to a local dealership for immediate repair. I should be given a safe rental car until Mitsubishi can fix the brakes. The dealership has informed me, they have no towing available, I will have to pay for towing and for a diagnostic check if they cannot reproduce the brake failure, even though there is a recall in place. I know this is an intermittent problem and they probably will not be able to reproduce the failure, that should not cost me towing, diagnostic or storage cost. Is Mitsubishi only responsible when there is a crash? I want my car safe for me and my family. I feel Mitsubishi should do more to make this happen.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jul 242015

Eclipse

The contact owns a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V337000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Parma Heights , OH, USA

Nov 192012

Eclipse

I was driving down the road when I was coming to a stop my brake would not stop me. When I push on the brakes you would hear a whistle sound. Cylinder and booster both replaced and pedal/brakes are still soft. After hit a bump, the brakes would go completely soft and required them to be pumped up. This happened several times. We replaced the master cylinder and booster after brake pedal would go all the way down with little stopping power. Replacing the master cylinder fixed that issue, but now the problem is exactly as described in the previous : brakes begin to engage, then go soft (spongy) for a bit, then re-engage. Braking power is significantly less than before.

- Lenoir, NC, USA

Mar 072011

Eclipse

Had to brake quickly to avoid hitting someone pulling out of a parking lot. Front left wheel locked up, ABS engaged and made an odd noise. Ever since, the brakes are soft and make a whistling sound upon releasing the pedal. I've had all the brake pads and rotors replaced, as well as the fluid and a proper bleed performed. This has not solved the issue. In performing research, this same issue continues to occur for others as well, and the only fix is replacing the ABS pump. This needs to be recalled. If I have to brake hard now, the left front wheel still locks up, and it jerks the car in that direction initially.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Mar 182015

Eclipse 4-cyl

I have had this issue 20 or more times in the past, I have owned my vehicle for 5 years, I have had the brakes replaced 3 times. Today I was driving about 60 miles an hour on a wet road. I had to suddenly hit the brakes, although I did not slam on them, and the anti lock brakes kicked in, then I lost all the brakes all together. I released the brakes immediately and drove to the right side of traffic to avoid a crash! as the car slowed on its own I had to slowly and repeatedly press the brakes, all pressure was lost to the brakes at this point and they felt spongy. I exited the freeway (full of traffic) and slowly pulled off the side of the road, while depressing the brakes I noted they felt inconsistent, they would either immediately brake or not at all, terrifying! this has happened in the past and last a few hours or days, I have to repeatedly pump the brakes as if there is air in the brake lines. There is also a hissing sound like many other ppl describe (might be coming from the pedal). The biggest shock is that this has not been recalled, when I take it in to be checked they always say the brakes look fine, with no other ideas and after a few days it just goes away until I hit the brakes again or run over a big speed bump. Please do a recall on this issue! I have read on other forums that this may be due to the master cylinder's internal seal breaking and leaking fluid into the booster and ruining it, although when calling the dealership they say that this is unlikely, so confused. Recall this issue! this is too common and terrifying. I do not trust my car!

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Aug 222012

Eclipse 4-cyl

I was cut off and had to brake heavily to avoid an accident, the ABS was engaged. Ever since then my pedal has been soft, brakes less effective, and I've had a whistle upon release of the pedal. The brakes have been bled to no avail.

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Oct 152014

Eclipse 4-cyl

Vehicle became unresponsive to braking. Brakes almost go into floorboard before acknowledgement of braking. Car is very wobbly feeling, especially when it's raining or wet outside, the car will slide into anything when using brakes. I had to run up on curb to miss hitting the vehicle in front of me, because the car wouldn't stop! brake light also was on, so repaired it at body shop and replaced master cylinder. After master cylinder was replaced brake light went off but car was still driving the same, (wobbly, not stopping on time, brakes going into floorboard). About a month or less later brake light came back on and body shop said it was brake fluid so they fixed it, then brake light went off, but still driving the same. Rotated tires, replaced old tires and put on new ones, aligned car, replaced break pads, replaced master cylinder, and still nothing has changed. I have spent so much time and thousands of dollars to repair this car and nothing works. I've been without a car during the time it's been repaired to only find out that it can't be repaired no matter what mechanics do. This is completely dangerous and I am just inches away from having an accident and either hurting myself or other people (especially on the interstate). I do not see how anyone can drive a vehicle without brakes working and there needs to be a recall, because this is such a safety hazard. I would appreciate someone taking responsibility of fixing this issue, since me and other Eclipse 2007 owners have taken initiative to fix our vehicles. There are several complaints about the brake system and someone needs to become aware of them before one of us kills ourselves in an accident. Thanks.

- Gordo, AL, USA

Nov 022014

Eclipse 4-cyl

Driving the car earlier today and hit a small bump and the brake pedal went all the way to the floor, like it has several times before. This time when it happened the brake are not returning to normal, always before when this happened the brake pedal would return to normal in a day or two. What really concerns me is all of the complains on line but no recall yet"?" this is very alarming. I'm not sure what to do with the car, all I seem to be able to find on line are used ABS pumps and a used part seems like a bad idea.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Aug 292014

Eclipse 4-cyl

After a sudden stop due to pedestrian jay walker in the road, the brakes became almost irresponsive, the feeling is spongy and the pedal makes a whoooa sound when released. Now the pedal travels almost to the end before there is any brake response.. there no leaks or any other attributed to the sudden loss of response from the brakes, the car is very unsafe now and my mechanic says there is nothing wrong with the master cylinder, lines, air in the system and the pads are in good condition.. this car has become very unsafe to drive.

- Hialeah , FL, USA

Mar 312014

Eclipse

I have been having issues with spongy brakes I have replaced the master cylinder but I have been reading up on the issue an a lot of owners with Mitsubishi Eclipse have been experiencing the same issue I have had when you go to engage the brakes its takes tons of pressure and the issue is the first time you slam on brakes to avoid an issue the ABS never resets and starts to leak I have replaced all brakes and still experiencing the issue this needs to be recall because having spongy brakes is dangerous and scary that your brakes may give way.

- Richmond, VA, USA